The Student Room Group

UCAS points?

I'm doing maths, computer science and film studies but I'm concerned as to whether I'm gonna have enough UCAS points for university. I've emailed my head of year about it but essentially the problem is Maths is an A-level, but Computer Science is an AS/A2 level? and Film Studies is only classed as an A2 level. I have a couple questions about this:

Isn't an AS/A2 level just an A-level since an A-level is just the two combined? Or does it count as something separate?

What's the point of only doing an A2 level for film? Does that count for nothing, or am I missing something here?

Without enough UCAS points I wont be able to go to university (for the one I'm currently looking at I need 104-120). Can anybody offer some advice to increase my score or correct a misunderstanding I've made? I'm still in year 12 so I have time, but it's better to know now rather than halfway through next year.
Reply 1
There is no such thing as an A2 qualification (and never has been). If you're studying a subject for 2 years it is almost certainly an A level.

There are AS levels and there are A levels. For modular A levels (e.g. ones with WJEC), AS+A2= A level. For A levels in England you can take an AS level but the marks you get have no effect on your A level grade if you go on to take that. Ifyou have an A level you can't also count the AS UCAS points for the same subject.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you have an A level in a subject, the AS won't count towards any UCAS point requirement. However, if you're doing 3 A levels (maths, CS and film studies if I've understood your post correctly) then 120 is equivalent to BBB and 104 is equivalent to BCC
Original post by lucwb
I'm doing maths, computer science and film studies but I'm concerned as to whether I'm gonna have enough UCAS points for university. I've emailed my head of year about it but essentially the problem is Maths is an A-level, but Computer Science is an AS/A2 level? and Film Studies is only classed as an A2 level. I have a couple questions about this:

Isn't an AS/A2 level just an A-level since an A-level is just the two combined? Or does it count as something separate?

What's the point of only doing an A2 level for film? Does that count for nothing, or am I missing something here?

Without enough UCAS points I wont be able to go to university (for the one I'm currently looking at I need 104-120). Can anybody offer some advice to increase my score or correct a misunderstanding I've made? I'm still in year 12 so I have time, but it's better to know now rather than halfway through next year.

An A2 is just the name for an AS subject that has been continued to A-Level. You'll finish with a full AL and get the tariff points for the same.

The clearest official explanation I could find is on the Northern Irish gov website.

"AS (Advanced Subsidiary) and A (Advanced) level qualifications normally take two years to complete full-time in school or FE college, although they're also available to study part-time.

It is split into two parts, with one part studied in each year. The first part is known as the Advanced Subsidiary level (AS level). The second part is known as the A2 level.

The AS Level is a qualification in its own right, and the AS Level together with the A2 Level forms the complete A Level qualification."
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
An A2 is just the name for an AS subject that has been continued to A-Level. You'll finish with a full AL and get the tariff points for the same.

The clearest official explanation I could find is on the Northern Irish gov website.

"AS (Advanced Subsidiary) and A (Advanced) level qualifications normally take two years to complete full-time in school or FE college, although they're also available to study part-time.

It is split into two parts, with one part studied in each year. The first part is known as the Advanced Subsidiary level (AS level). The second part is known as the A2 level.

The AS Level is a qualification in its own right, and the AS Level together with the A2 Level forms the complete A Level qualification."

Great, so I'm doing three A-levels then? I'm doing them all for 2 years full time at a sixth form. The thing that confused me is the fact that film was listed as an A2 level, just that on it's own. It's still pretty new to me so I got worried when they weren't listed as A-levels. Thanks for your time!
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One

This is only true for modular qualifications so is not true for ones in England. Strictly speaking A2 does not exist as a concept in England. It is often used to refer to the second year of A level, but causes confusion as you can't add AS+A2 exams for linear quals, whereas you can for modular ones (In Wales and NI)
Original post by Compost
This is only true for modular qualifications so is not true for ones in England. Strictly speaking A2 does not exist as a concept in England. It is often used to refer to the second year of A level, but causes confusion as you can't add AS+A2 exams for linear quals, whereas you can for modular ones (In Wales and NI)

I'm not sure where the OP is based, but this is true and a welcome clarification.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost

I live in England, so does this mean I'm doing three A-levels, or something else? It's all I'm confused about really. it seems as though both computer science and maths are both A-levels (both AS + A2) but what does it mean if film is only classed as A2?
Reply 8
Original post by lucwb
I live in England, so does this mean I'm doing three A-levels, or something else? It's all I'm confused about really. it seems as though both computer science and maths are both A-levels (both AS + A2) but what does it mean if film is only classed as A2?

If you're in England then you're doing 3 A levels.

Eduqas's sloppy use of A2 is because it's the English arm of the Welsh board which still has AS+A2.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
If you're in England then you're doing 3 A levels.

Eduqas's sloppy use of A2 is because it's the English arm of the Welsh board which still has AS+A2.

Great! Thanks. It's a little confusing but I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Latest