The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apachecow
I think compulsory vaccination unless compelling medical reasons is a great idea. I'd like it that you could only go to work/education/public transport/hospitality if proof of vaccination could be shown. So if Dubai go that way - hats off to them.

I can see no good reason whatsoever to refuse.

Why not convince people that the vaccine is safe rather than forced vaccination? Forced vaccination (especially if this is yearly vaccine) is not going to convince me to get the vaccine ASAP.
Original post by Imane888
Why not convince people that the vaccine is safe rather than forced vaccination? Forced vaccination (especially if this is yearly vaccine) is not going to convince me to get the vaccine ASAP.

Exactly. I'm not anti science and I respect that these officials do have a lot of knowledge. But their story has changed so much now that I don't see how I can trust them. Restrictions were only going to be in place for three weeks, masks don't work but a few months later as if by magic now they do. Changing their position is fine if there is an accompanying change in the scientific data that justifies it, but as far as I can tell that hasn't happened with those examples. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should trust people who have intentionally misled me?
Original post by Megacent
Exactly. I'm not anti science and I respect that these officials do have a lot of knowledge. But their story has changed so much now that I don't see how I can trust them. Restrictions were only going to be in place for three weeks, masks don't work but a few months later as if by magic now they do. Changing their position is fine if there is an accompanying change in the scientific data that justifies it, but as far as I can tell that hasn't happened with those examples. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should trust people who have intentionally misled me?

If I don't take the vaccine then I am prepared to deal with restrictions. If no vax for me=no holiday for me then be it but I don't think that forced vaccination is the way to go, encouraging people to take the vaccine and giving the public confidence is better. I don't read into any of the anti-vax conspiracy theories and idc if someone has the vaccine or not as long as they aren't trying to force people to take or not take the vaccine.
Reply 23
Original post by Apachecow
I think compulsory vaccination unless compelling medical reasons is a great idea. I'd like it that you could only go to work/education/public transport/hospitality if proof of vaccination could be shown. So if Dubai go that way - hats off to them.

I can see no good reason whatsoever to refuse.

That's a really dark and dangerous path to go down. But morals and ethics aside, there is very little evidence that making vaccines mandatory even leads to any increase in uptake. Those already entrenched in their views will always find ways to exempt themselves, it's costly and difficult to enforce and I'd be willing to bet you would see more people resisting just out of principle alone, people who might have actually got vaccinated voluntarily beforehand.

It's a stupid and pointless idea, certainly for a country like Britain which has always had a very high vaccine uptake anyway, 90%+ and achieved without any force or coercion. Education, transparency and above all else mutual trust between the state and the public is the key to encouraging widespread vaccination, and if there is still a shortfall after that, you can always just pay people to get vaccinated. There is no need at all to go down the 'Black Mirror' route just yet.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Megacent
I don't "want" anybody to die. Sorry we can't agree on the other stuff :frown:

Lifting lockdown now would kill thousands, that is what you want.
Original post by Hannah.Cook
Well we are not forced. But it is getting compulsory to take the vaccine (some schools and offices already did so). There is no formal letter or anything that could prove it but for instance in offices, they say you either get the vaccine asap or your out. Similar situation applies to school and so slowly even they are moving.

By your own admission, this thread is misleading. Creating misleading threads about an ongoing pandemic is not only irresponsible, but can result in directly harmful consequences for other people. TSR is not the place to spread misinformation about the coronavirus pandemic.

For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web pages. You can also find practical advice for managing your mental health in the pandemic, including advice from clinical psychiatrists, here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending