The Student Room Group

Unable to get MenACWY vaccine before uni

I called my GP to ask if I can get the menACWY vaccine and they told me that it would cost me £70, even though I thought it would be for free.

Will I still be able to enjoy freshers week without the vaccine? How can I avoid getting meningitis during freshers if I’m unable to get the vaccine?

I’m going to try and get it once I arrive at university as it should be free there however I’ve read that the vaccine takes 2 days to work, does this mean I should just avoid going out for 2 days after I get the vaccine?
Reply 1
Does your GP know you’re a student? If you’re a first year, under 25 and haven’t had the jab before it should be free for you so I’d suggest asking them again first!
Reply 2
Original post by eeeli
Does your GP know you’re a student? If you’re a first year, under 25 and haven’t had the jab before it should be free for you so I’d suggest asking them again first!

Ok I just called again and this time they told me they don’t have any appointments available for the vaccine for the next few weeks, however I’m going off to uni next week!!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I just called again and this time they told me they don’t have any appointments available for the vaccine for the next few weeks, however I’m going off to uni next week!!

Might be worth registering with your uni GP now if you can then, and hopefully that will let you make an appointment quickly then and get in there before all the other students arrive and register. You can also get MenACWY at pharmacies (see if your local Boots/Superdrug/Lloyds Pharmacy etc do it) you would have to pay around £50 to do it this way but that might be worth it for your peace of mind as you seem very worried about this.

Quick Reply

Latest