The Student Room Group

getting experience for English personal statement

that title makes no sense i know but hold on for a moment:

So right now I'm in year 11. Next year I'm doing a-levels, hoping to take some kind of English degree at university (hopefully literature + creative writing).

So I heard that it's useful to prove you have an interest in your subject by doing things related to it - whether that be reading books, writing a script for a youth theatre, writing a blog. Apparently those can be good for your personal statement.

So, since lockdown is keeping us all indoors, I'm just wondering what are the best things I can do - any websites for blogging/posting short stories and poems?

As well as this, once lockdown is over what other opportunities do you think would be good for me? I'm passionate about creative writing and I also do acting as a hobby. I think the two tie well together but I'm not sure where I can get experience from.

Sooooo that's about it. Any help at all would be very useful!

[also I know this is probably too soon to be thinking about my personal statement, but I also want to do these experiences so I myself can grow and get better at my subject and learn :smile: )
Reply 1
It's not too soon at all - the earlier you start preparing, the better your application will be! :]

Online writing competitions are very lockdown-friendly, and give you something to brag about on your personal statement.
https://www.bristolprize.co.uk/rules/
https://www.theploughartscentre.org.uk/poetry-prize
https://creativewritingink.co.uk/writing-competitions/ (has lots of listings if you scroll down)

Once lockdown is over, perhaps volunteering/employment at a library could show your love of writing to universities? Additionally, I would suggest you ask your school to start a club - one focused on writing. If you are the organiser/president of such a club it would also show your commitment and passion.

I apologise I can't be of more help, but my experience with English teachers has made me hate and avoid all things writing. :colonhash:

edit: some websites like Fiverr let you offer a skill, and you get paid for it. Perhaps that's worth checking out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AKK423
It's not too soon at all - the earlier you start preparing, the better your application will be! :]

Online writing competitions are very lockdown-friendly, and give you something to brag about on your personal statement.
https://www.bristolprize.co.uk/rules/
https://www.theploughartscentre.org.uk/poetry-prize
https://creativewritingink.co.uk/writing-competitions/ (has lots of listings if you scroll down)

Once lockdown is over, perhaps volunteering/employment at a library could show your love of writing to universities? Additionally, I would suggest you ask your school to start a club - one focused on writing. If you are the organiser/president of such a club it would also show your commitment and passion.

I apologise I can't be of more help, but my experience with English teachers has made me hate and avoid all things writing. :colonhash:

Wow thank you so much! The competitions are a really good idea - I'll look into that! :smile: And I also love the idea of volunteering at my library. Thanks!
One thing that’s always useful if you’re interested in creative writing and English is to seek out multiple adaptations in different media of the same book - tv adaptions, films, radio adaptations, comic novels, animation, plays, audio books, abridged versions etc and to think about how different media limits how the story can be told and the different strengths and weaknesses. It’s something you can then factor into your own writing if you do try your hand at scriptwriting (the BBC has a whole bunch of scripts that are publicly available btw which is another source of some interesting research). Different perspectives and interpretations are fascinating ways to see the same story through fresh eyes.
Reply 4
PQ reminded me of something; perhaps your creative ability will be bolstered by increasing your exposure to different entertainment mediums. Movies, TV, books, comics, cartoons, manga and anime. I would highly recommend you to check out all these mediums as they each contain brilliant literary and visual techniques ripe for the taking (my favourite is anime :smile:). Along with this, appreciating art from different cultures and taking inspiration from each's strength is a solid way to become a literary mastermind - introducing techniques from Persia into Britain will no doubt impress readers and get them hooked with the fresh material.

PS: this doesn't answer your original question, so do forgive please. :tongue:
Original post by PQ
One thing that’s always useful if you’re interested in creative writing and English is to seek out multiple adaptations in different media of the same book - tv adaptions, films, radio adaptations, comic novels, animation, plays, audio books, abridged versions etc and to think about how different media limits how the story can be told and the different strengths and weaknesses. It’s something you can then factor into your own writing if you do try your hand at scriptwriting (the BBC has a whole bunch of scripts that are publicly available btw which is another source of some interesting research). Different perspectives and interpretations are fascinating ways to see the same story through fresh eyes.

Ooh thanks, great idea!
Original post by AKK423
PQ reminded me of something; perhaps your creative ability will be bolstered by increasing your exposure to different entertainment mediums. Movies, TV, books, comics, cartoons, manga and anime. I would highly recommend you to check out all these mediums as they each contain brilliant literary and visual techniques ripe for the taking (my favourite is anime :smile:). Along with this, appreciating art from different cultures and taking inspiration from each's strength is a solid way to become a literary mastermind - introducing techniques from Persia into Britain will no doubt impress readers and get them hooked with the fresh material.

PS: this doesn't answer your original question, so do forgive please. :tongue:

No no, I appreciate all suggestions! I think I'll definitely do this, ya know broadening my perspective and stuff :smile: thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending