The Student Room Group

A2 chem

Help!!! I understand bronsted lowry acid = H donor and base = h acceptor but keep answering this question wrong5952F7F0-1E2E-4A0F-89C5-798971858AC6.jpeg
What do you keep answering wrong?
Original post by Danyal124
Help!!! I understand bronsted lowry acid = H donor and base = h acceptor but keep answering this question wrong5952F7F0-1E2E-4A0F-89C5-798971858AC6.jpeg

Bronsted Lowry acid = donates a proton
Bronsted Lowry base = accepts a proton

Looking at the first question. Focus on the forward reaction first.
The water (H2O) is accepting a proton (H+) to form H3O+. Since it is accepting a proton, the water is acting as a base.

Look at the reverse reaction in the first question.
The ethanoate ion (CH3COO-) is accepting a proton (H+) to form CH3COOH. Since it accepts a proton, it is a base.

Are you able to follow now? What problems did you face - why did you keep getting it wrong? Try to do parts ii and iii with the same logic.
Reply 3
Original post by qwert7890
Bronsted Lowry acid = donates a proton
Bronsted Lowry base = accepts a proton

Looking at the first question. Focus on the forward reaction first.
The water (H2O) is accepting a proton (H+) to form H3O+. Since it is accepting a proton, the water is acting as a base.

Look at the reverse reaction in the first question.
The ethanoate ion (CH3COO-) is accepting a proton (H+) to form CH3COOH. Since it accepts a proton, it is a base.

Are you able to follow now? What problems did you face - why did you keep getting it wrong? Try to do parts ii and iii with the same logic.

i see what youre doing but how do you know to use the reverse reaction route
Original post by Danyal124
i see what youre doing but how do you know to use the reverse reaction route

That is what a reversible reaction means...

This is the forward reaction
CH3COOH + H2O ---> CH3COO- + H3O+

This is the backward reaction
CH3COO- + H3O+ ---> CH3COOH + H2O

Instead of writing two separate equations we use one equation with a double arrow:

CH3COOH + H2O <====> CH3COO- + H3O+

Now look at each reaction separately as forward and reverse, and hopefully this helps you? Is it clear now?

Quick Reply

Latest