The Student Room Group

101 dollars, 88 days: an SAT (no not that one) GYG

Something a little different to most of the people on this sub-forum.

Long story short I have decided that I want to apply to universities in the US as well as the UK :nyan:
To do that, I need to sit an exam called the SAT (not to be confused with the Key Stage 2 assessment of the same name) which is one of the two main college aptitude tests in the US (The other one is the ACT which while having different strengths is more expensive)

I'm only in Year 11, but I feel like I can get a good score plus around now is a good time to get it out of the way. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and register for the May 8th round, which is in 88 days. So, join my on this short-ish rollercoaster as I try to get a high a score as I can :smile:

Practice Tests:
??/??/??: 1290 M 590 RW 700
- not bad, I was mainly gauging the exam itself. I finished it quite quickly which is great. Math had some weird questions and I developed a bit of test fatigue but overall an okay first try.

College Aspirations (WIP):
Obviously I'm limited to places that give (preferably need-blind) financial aid to international students, so I'm starting there. I'll have to do more research on financial aid at other colleges.

1: MIT
- This is the first college that genuinely interested me and what motivated me to look over the pond in the first place. The blend of STEM and humanities really appeals to me as I bounce around those a lot - there are so many opportunities to take classes outside of your major too. I only recently found out that they have a very highly regarded Linguistics department which I'm really interested in. Obviously the acceptance rate is astronomically low, but it's worth a try. (also they are full-need need-blind to internationals :biggrin:)

Study Plan:
I'm pretty bad at basically all the parts of studying. Motivation, focus, etc. So, I've thought of a new plan to hopefully make it easier.
Apart from practise tests every fortnight, I'll just set myself a task to do 80 questions by the end of each day, with checkpoints to keep me on track. This is a WIP idea (never seen anyone do it tbh) so I'll add more later.

Apologies for formatting, I just wanted to get this out as quickly as I can :redface:
If you have any knowledge of the process of applying to US unis from Britain, please feel free to drop by, your wisdom would be much appreciated :smile:
Sounds great! I’ll be watching...:biggrin:
Reply 3
Ahhh, love the title :woo:
Good luck! :lovehug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending