The Student Room Group

Biomed to Graduate Dentistry

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how does the fees work to go into grad dentistry as I hear you get funded the first 4 years only. If someone could explain please do. Also is it possible to get into Biomed through clearing or through UCAS extra?

(Btw no I cant take a gap year due to personal reasons)
Original post by ira.m
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how does the fees work to go into grad dentistry as I hear you get funded the first 4 years only. If someone could explain please do. Also is it possible to get into Biomed through clearing or through UCAS extra?

(Btw no I cant take a gap year due to personal reasons)

Hi, I'm applying to dentistry as a graduate this year. The fees vary depending on whether you get onto one of the three graduate entry courses in the UK or any of the undergraduate courses. For the graduate entry courses, you only have to pay ~3500 for tuition up front for the four years; the rest is covered by a loan. Alternatively, for an undergraduate course as a graduate you have to pay ~36,000 up front for four years and the NHS covers the cost for the fifth year.

Hope this makes sense about the finances; this is why the graduate entry courses are extremely competitive since the financial benefit is huge.

You can get into biomed from clearing and some biomed courses even allow transferring onto dentistry - so you should look for these? If you know you want to do dentistry I think one of these routes would be better because applying as a graduate is much more competitive
Reply 2
Original post by Nitrosomonas
Hi, I'm applying to dentistry as a graduate this year. The fees vary depending on whether you get onto one of the three graduate entry courses in the UK or any of the undergraduate courses. For the graduate entry courses, you only have to pay ~3500 for tuition up front for the four years; the rest is covered by a loan. Alternatively, for an undergraduate course as a graduate you have to pay ~36,000 up front for four years and the NHS covers the cost for the fifth year.

Hope this makes sense about the finances; this is why the graduate entry courses are extremely competitive since the financial benefit is huge.

You can get into biomed from clearing and some biomed courses even allow transferring onto dentistry - so you should look for these? If you know you want to do dentistry I think one of these routes would be better because applying as a graduate is much more competitive

Thank you this is very informative!

Do you have any suggestions which unis do that? As I’m currently looking and find it hard to find some.
Original post by ira.m
Thank you this is very informative!

Do you have any suggestions which unis do that? As I’m currently looking and find it hard to find some.

Maybe check Newcastle and also ask in the main dentistry chat

Quick Reply

Latest