The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Medicine application

Any tips on a successful Oxbridge Medicine application
Original post by RamseyGOAT

i've applied for Oxbridge post grad form Comp-Sci, so don't think i'm really helpful for med school, but in the process i did come across a Youtube channel of a Dr Shane at the med school at Cambridge which was very impressive on how to write a med school application for Oxbridge, u can try that, i'm sure it will help, lemme know when u find it, else l post a link..

Choose carefully which one to apply to.

Have an amazing academic profile, including crazy GCSEs for Oxford and able to meet A*A*A offer for Cambridge.

Do really really well on BMAT.

Do really really well at interview.

Don't neglect your other choices - around 2 in 3 medicine applicants get no offers at all. You should have a plan B - what will you do if you don't get in. Gap year? Take your 5th choice? A lot of medical applicants who have never got below an 'A' in their life think that doesn't apply to them - they are wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Choose carefully which one to apply to.

Have an amazing academic profile, including crazy GCSEs for Oxford and able to meet A*A*A offer for Cambridge.

Do really really well on BMAT.

Do really really well at interview.

Don't neglect your other choices - around 2 in 3 medicine applicants get no offers at all. You should have a plan B - what will you do if you don't get in. Gap year? Take your 5th choice? A lot of medical applicants who have never got below an 'A' in their life think that doesn't apply to them - they are wrong.

My GCSEs should be fine for anywhere and I’ve done a couple BMAT AND UCAT practise tests and they’ve gone really well. Only snag could be can I get an A * in chem, I’m sure I can get it in history and bio, but maths and chem will be harder.
My GCSEs should be fine for anywhere and I’ve done a couple BMAT AND UCAT practise tests and they’ve gone really well. Only snag could be can I get an A * in chem, I’m sure I can get it in history and bio, but maths and chem will be harder.

Do you need an A* in chem specifically?

You seem very confident - don't let it go to your head. I've been on TSR long enough to see that people's mock BMAT/UCAT is almost always better than the mark they actually get, and I've certainly seen straight A* students get no offers at all. Make sure you still focus on your work experience and voluntary work in the personal statement and are prepared to hoop-jump as much as is necessary for your non-Oxbridge unis.
(edited 3 years ago)
yes join medic mentor
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
Do you need an A* in chem specifically?

You seem very confident - don't let it go to your head. I've been on TSR long enough to see that people's mock BMAT/UCAT is almost always better than the mark they actually get, and I've certainly seen straight A* students get no offers at all. Make sure you still focus on your work experience and voluntary work in the personal statement and are prepared to hoop-jump as much as is necessary for your non-Oxbridge unis.

I think I’ll need an A* in chemistry just because it’s Oxford and chemistry is the only necessary subject for it. An A* in chemistry would look better than my other subjects. Yh that’s what my sister said about bmat and ucat but hopefully I smash it. For my non oxbridge unis I’m confident I’ll at least get my insurance offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending