The Student Room Group

How much are people left with after paying rent at uni?

Is £400 actually enough for necessities like food and travel plus enjoyment plus saving money for holidays and necessities after graduation like a flat
Original post by Moonlight rain
Is £400 actually enough for necessities like food and travel plus enjoyment plus saving money for holidays and necessities after graduation like a flat

Focus on necessities first, then saving for your future. Only then, if you have enough still left, should you be thinking about holidays and discretionary enjoyment spends. While I accept there are some people genuinely struggling, I think most peoples money problems these days comes from a simple inability to tell "need" from "want". I've lost count of the amount of students telling me they don't have enough money, but they always seem to be able to afford a Starbucks or a smartphone.
Original post by Megacent
Focus on necessities first, then saving for your future. Only then, if you have enough still left, should you be thinking about holidays and discretionary enjoyment spends. While I accept there are some people genuinely struggling, I think most peoples money problems these days comes from a simple inability to tell "need" from "want". I've lost count of the amount of students telling me they don't have enough money, but they always seem to be able to afford a Starbucks or a smartphone.

I will focus on the necessities but what about the rest of the money I have left? I need to prepare for a flat after graduation and money for enjoyment.
Hot chocolate is acc not even that unhealthy. It’s actually low carb and with a tiny bit of whipped cream it’s less than 5g carbs. I have it every morning. It’s the best
Your job after graduation should hopefully be helping you pay rent, not what you saved in uni. But £400 is enough for food and travel. Depending on where you live and your frugality you could have £0-200 left after for saving.

Just make a budget specific to you and you can answer this question yourself
Original post by Moonlight rain
I will focus on the necessities but what about the rest of the money I have left? I need to prepare for a flat after graduation and money for enjoyment.

Have a look at Money Saving Expert, it's one of the best sites out there for this sort of thing. Yeah of course, save for the future and definitely make sure you put aside a bit for fun/enjoyment. Sorry my post probably seemed a bit uppity in hindsight, been having issues recently with a friend who is always complaining of being broke but has the latest designer clothes, takeaways every night of the week and a new phone every few months just about so bit a touchy on this subject lol.
Per month? Certainly, should be more than enough. Per term may need some compromises depending on your lifestyle, but people manage with £30-40 pw or less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending