The Student Room Group

Should I do chemistry Alevel

Hi so, I like chemistry and was thinking about doing it at Alevel. However I don’t wanna do maths, bio or physics. So my other subjects would be geography and an essay subject. So do u think it’s pointless to take chemisty on it’s own without the other maths/sciences?
Reply 1
Original post by Lilysmithxoxo
Hi so, I like chemistry and was thinking about doing it at Alevel. However I don’t wanna do maths, bio or physics. So my other subjects would be geography and an essay subject. So do u think it’s pointless to take chemisty on it’s own without the other maths/sciences?

It certainly isn't necessary for the A level itself to do other sciences. It doesn't require any maths skills beyond GCSE, probably not even that. In my chemistry class, there's a group that also does physics & a group that also does bio (and some who do neither), but neither group has any clear advantage in any particular area of chemistry, so I'd say the course is fairly self contained.

However, it does depend on what degree/career you want to do after. If there is another subject that would be directly related, my advice would be to take that instead, but if you have that covered with your other subjects, or are unsure what you want to do, I'd say chemistry is a good call. It is a facilitating subject, so will keep your options open (more so than the other sciences).
Hey! I'm currently doing A2 Chemistry so if you have any questions, especially about AQA, then I'm happy to answer.

So, it depends what you want to go into. When I was taking my subjects I actually valued computer science more than anything else (I do Chem, Maths, Physics, Computing). But now I'm going into physics. The bottom line for me is that I like science-y subjects.

I guess the solution is recognising whether your main interests are compatible with it in any way.
Yes I am currently studying chemistry with no other ‘science’ based subjects. Not having maths, physics or bio hasn’t hindered me at all. But like others are saying consider university, as I applied for a chemistry degree, but was limited on university choice due to not having done maths A-level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending