The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Accreditation

What does it mean if a course doesn’t have accreditation? - for reference I’m thinking if medical science with engineering course but it doesn’t have accreditation?

(Not sure if I’ve posted this in the right forum)
I think it means it is not accredited by an institute or society (like the Insitute of Physics for mine), but it is nevertheless accredited by UCL and the Department of Education
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by the_cosmo_guy
I think it means it is not accredited by an institute or society (like the Insitute of Physics for mine), but it is nevertheless accredited by UCL and the Department of Education

How big of a difference does it make if a course if not accredited bit an institution/society?
not really a difference
it's just an extra piece of paper, most probably you will not use it ever in your life
Reply 4
not really a difference
it's just an extra piece of paper, most probably you will not use it ever in your life

Ohh I see thanks. I’m surprised ish. Does jobs not require you to have certain accreditation
Original post by Yazomi
Ohh I see thanks. I’m surprised ish. Does jobs not require you to have certain accreditation

no, it just to get an extra title like chartered physicist or smth like that
Reply 6
no, it just to get an extra title like chartered physicist or smth like that

Ohh I see thanks :smile:
It makes much more difference for certain professions where accreditation is required or useful in progressing in that role.

For example, not having an accredited engineering degree means you won't be able to aim for CEng status, which is actually useful in progressing in an engineering career. Equally for becoming a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you are required to have an IBMS accredited degree, as well as to register with the HCPC. Without an IBMS accredited degree, if you wanted to work as a BMS, you would need to get your degree validated by the IBMS, and would likely need to either take top up modules to meet their accreditation requirements, or you would need to do a whole new degree if it's not got enough overlap.

So, accreditation does matter in some areas, and in particular it matters in the areas covered by that degree programme, unless you just wanted to go into academia (i.e. do a PhD etc) or work in non-engineering, non-BMS roles (e.g. as some kind of lab scientist otherwise in industry). Or if you just want to get some random business/management/financial services grad scheme role, where they don't care what you studied at undergrad.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending