The Student Room Group

Psychology with counselling at Kingston

Is anyone else doing the psychology and counselling course from Kingston? I like the course but I am not sure about it as it's not accredited by BPS and many people are saying Kingston is a bad uni but the course looks so interesting and it has a high level of students who get a graduate job so idk.
Reply 1
Original post by username6374307
Is anyone else doing the psychology and counselling course from Kingston? I like the course but I am not sure about it as it's not accredited by BPS and many people are saying Kingston is a bad uni but the course looks so interesting and it has a high level of students who get a graduate job so idk.

I would generally steer clear of Psychology degrees unless they are BPS accredited. However, ultimately this only matters if you are considering any type of career in psychology. If you arent then your fine.

Greg

As above, I'd advice to not do any psychology degree that isn't BPS accredited. If you're interested in doing a career in psychology, it is essential to have the BPS accreditation, else the whole degree is just a waste of time. And even if you're not interested in a career in psychology, the BPS accreditation is somewhat of a benchmark, a standard that most psychology courses in the UK meet, which would suggest that Kingston's degree doesn't quite meet the standard of other psychology degrees...

At the Open University, where I am doing the same course, you have the opportunity to register with BPS, once you've obtained the required qualification, provided you achieve a grade of 2:2 or higher.
Original post by Scotland Yard
As above, I'd advice to not do any psychology degree that isn't BPS accredited. If you're interested in doing a career in psychology, it is essential to have the BPS accreditation, else the whole degree is just a waste of time. And even if you're not interested in a career in psychology, the BPS accreditation is somewhat of a benchmark, a standard that most psychology courses in the UK meet, which would suggest that Kingston's degree doesn't quite meet the standard of other psychology degrees...

Guys above, youre not answering his question, it's not helpful!!!. .. He's asking if the course he wants to do is BPS accredited, he is probably asking because he wants to be registered, on BPS. At Open University is is, but not sure at his university. BUt that is the same course as me, and it is BPS accredited.
Original post by 369MJENKIN01
Guys above, youre not answering his question, it's not helpful!!!. .. He's asking if the course he wants to do is BPS accredited, he is probably asking because he wants to be registered, on BPS. At Open University is is, but not sure at his university. BUt that is the same course as me, and it is BPS accredited.

You misunderstood the question. OP in fact acknowledges that the course at Kingston is not BPS accredited, which is why they're unsure if they should go to Kingston. The advice was to steer clear from any non-BPS-accredited psychology degrees, which includes this Kingston degree.

Hi @username6374307

It's great that you are interested in studying here at Kingston! The Psychology and Counselling course is not BPS accredited, however the Psychology BSc course is! Both of these courses are in the same department and taught by some of the same lectures. You mentioned a high level of students getting a graduate job which is great and from looking at the course it really seem like a direct route into counselling with lots of placement opportunities.

I don't personally study this course but a great way to meet and chat to those who do and really get a feel for the university would be to come to our open day on Saturday 27th April. I really enjoy studying here and think it's a great environment to study in.

Hope this helps and any more questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Original post by Scotland Yard
You misunderstood the question. OP in fact acknowledges that the course at Kingston is not BPS accredited, which is why they're unsure if they should go to Kingston. The advice was to steer clear from any non-BPS-accredited psychology degrees, which includes this Kingston degree.

AH I see, thanks! With Open University, it's BPS-accredited. I'm surprised it's not at Kingston

Quick Reply

Latest