The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Need some careers advice? Ask an Undergraduate Careers Manager anything!

Hi everyone!

I am Hilary, the Careers Manager at Warwick Business School (WBS), which is one of the top Business Schools in the UK. My team work within WBS CareersPlus, which is a bespoke careers service that undergraduates at WBS receive as a part of their studies. We have connections with employers’ from around the world and spend our time supporting undergraduates to achieve their career goals.

This week I am here to help you!

Are you wondering how best to stand out amongst the crowd? How to ace that cover letter? Prepare for interviews and Assessment centres? or maybe you have questions about the career support at WBS or at the University of Warwick?

I'm online all week to answer your questions and help you out, so ask away! :h:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Hilary,I hope you are doing well.I am a 2nd year management student at WBS and I am currently thinking about where I want to do my masters degree, I am looking to study something finance/banking related. As of now, I do not plan to stay in the Uk after I graduate. I am looking at it from 2 sides. 1. - I could try and get into a high ranked university in my subject, regardless of where it is. And 2. - Look for a university that offers my subject of interest but is probably nowhere near as high ranked in the subject and also famous around the world. However, It is located near to where I want to live and work, and so I would be able to better leverage the network I create during my Masters, and also connect with the local employers better.Which of the 2 arguments do you think are more valid and important for employers? Which of them should I prioritize in your opinion? I am curious to hear your views on this, perhaps based on your similar experience from the past.Thank you very much and stay safe!Adam Labat
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Adam Labat
Hi Hilary,I hope you are doing well.I am a 2nd year management student at WBS and I am currently thinking about where I want to do my masters degree, I am looking to study something finance/banking related. As of now, I do not plan to stay in the Uk after I graduate. I am looking at it from 2 sides. 1. - I could try and get into a high ranked university in my subject, regardless of where it is. And 2. - Look for a university that offers my subject of interest but is probably nowhere near as high ranked in the subject and also famous around the world. However, It is located near to where I want to live and work, and so I would be able to better leverage the network I create during my Masters, and also connect with the local employers better.Which of the 2 arguments do you think are more valid and important for employers? Which of them should I prioritize in your opinion? I am curious to hear your views on this, perhaps based on your similar experience from the past.Thank you very much and stay safe!Adam Labat

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your question - choosing the right Masters course is an important decision so it is good that you are starting to think about it now. In terms of the two options you outline, it really depends on your main motivation for doing a Masters course - is it that you love the particular subject and want to study at a top university for course quality or is it more for career progression?

If you are considering a Masters for career progression then I would recommend being based near to where you eventually want to work, as most universities have links/partnerships with local employers - networks which you could leverage during your time as a student as you suggest above. If you are doing a Masters for the love of the subject and won't necessarily be based where you want to work, studying at a highly ranked university will be better because generally speaking, it will be more recognised and respected by employers all over the world. I hope that helps.
Original post by WBS- TSR Talks
Hi everyone!

I am Hilary, the Careers Manager at Warwick Business School (WBS), which is one of the top Business Schools in the UK. My team work within WBS CareersPlus, which is a bespoke careers service that undergraduates at WBS receive as a part of their studies. We have connections with employers’ from around the world and spend our time supporting undergraduates to achieve their career goals.

Are you wondering how best to stand out amongst the crowd? How to ace that cover letter? Prepare for interviews and Assessment centres?

Do you have any questions about the career support at WBS or at the University of Warwick?

Ask away! :h:

Hi Hilary, i’m currently still waiting for hopefully an offer for international management so i can start in october. I just wanted to ask about your career opportunities and connections when it comes to big technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft. Have people from the business school accessed and secured internships at these technology companies? if so, how often is it?
Hi everyone!

Are you wondering how best to stand out amongst the crowd? How to ace that cover letter? Prepare for interviews and Assessment centres?

Do you have any questions about the career support at WBS or at the University of Warwick?

Ask away!:h:

Hello! Hilary, my name is Jerry. I am now an IFP student at the University of Warwick. My major is Accounting & Finance. Could you tell me more career support in Warwick? I am curious about what and how Warwick will help students' future career. I received an e-mail that said enter in WBS means you get the passport to the future. I don't doubt it. I want to know more details about the career support if I have a chance to study at WBS. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Hilary, i’m currently still waiting for hopefully an offer for international management so i can start in october. I just wanted to ask about your career opportunities and connections when it comes to big technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft. Have people from the business school accessed and secured internships at these technology companies? if so, how often is it?

Hi,
Thank you for your email. I really hope you get your offer for International Management soon. Yes at WBS we have employer relationships with a large number of major tech firms including the ones you name above. Whilst we don't have work experience data on every WBS student because of data protection laws we cannot mandate students to tell us, but yes we do have students who go and work for those companies either as a intern, placement student or graduate trainee. I hope that helps to reassure you.
Hello! Hilary, my name is Jerry. I am now an IFP student at the University of Warwick. My major is Accounting & Finance. Could you tell me more career support in Warwick? I am curious about what and how Warwick will help students' future career. I received an e-mail that said enter in WBS means you get the passport to the future. I don't doubt it. I want to know more details about the career support if I have a chance to study at WBS. Thank you!

Hi Jerry,
I hope you are enjoying your IFP at Warwick. Yes of course I will be happy to explain the careers support available for WBS students. We in WBS CareersPlus are dedicated to providing support to WBS students only and therefore tailor our services to the needs of Business students. We offer a range of different types of support including access to comprehensive on-line resources, small group workshops/webinars, bespoke employer events/networking opportunities, advice by email and 1 to 1 career coaching appointments either in person or on-line. To find out more about the services we offer, please see this video: https://youtu.be/VdTYU_PMvJg I hope that helps for now.
As Careers Manager at WBS, I get a wide range of different queries from our students, but one of the common questions is

'As a Business student, can I only go into specific careers like Banking or Accounting?'

The answer is there are so many different careers that you can do with a business degree. Yes Banking and Accounting are popular choices for our students, but more and more of our students are pursuing careers in areas such as Marketing, Technology, Logistics, General Management or setting up their own business as an entrepreneur. During a business degree, you learn so many skills and knowledge useful for so many career paths, our advice is to find topics which genuinely interest you and seek work that plays to your strengths and includes tasks you enjoy. At WBS, our 1 to 1 coaching appointments help you to decide which careers are right for you and not just following the crowd.

Did you think that Business degrees only lead you to Banking or Finance roles? What types of careers are you interested in?
Hi!
I have offers for both law and business studies and management and I was wondering if those courses could benefit from the ICEAW partnership program? or is it only reserved for A&F students?
Hello Hilary! I have recently graduated with a first class from a mediocre university in Economics. I need some advice on what to do to get into a finance /banking career as I have a lack of experience, haven't done any internships. What can I do to stand out to employers? Am I really limited given my circumstances? I am interested in Equity research mostly but unsure how realistic it would be to get into, also S&T (trading side). Looking for other possible career paths or just a general direction to go in next. any help is appreciated thanks!

Hi everyone!

Are you wondering how best to stand out amongst the crowd? How to ace that cover letter? Prepare for interviews and Assessment centres? or maybe you have questions about the career support at WBS or at the University of Warwick?

Hi everyone!

Hi Hilary Riseley!

I am a big fan of yours! <3 I have a few friends at Warwick Business School that speak very highly of you. You actually saved someones life a few years ago. Someone who was completely lost and was struggling with mental health, and needed a bit of direction and self-care. Most of the time he was in his room crying himself to sleep and couldn't see a future for himself, suffering from depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. You gave him what he needed by talking to him and inspiring him on what could be possible. He now works at Goldman Sachs.

A few current students I know at WBS are now going into Investment Banking, a couple into politics, a few in accounting, and some waiting to finish WBS to start their own companies! They all really speak highly of you. They mention that you are always there at the start of term doing a speech either in person but now on Microsoft Teams, to ask them to come forward and speak to you and book a meeting on my.wbs. Even sending them emails quite frequently to see where they are going after they are graduating so you can help them. Big Up the Warwick Careers Team!

Much love,

Delan.
Hi everyone!

Hi!

I have offers for both law and business studies and management and I was wondering if those courses could benefit from the ICEAW partnership program? or is it only reserved for A&F students?
Original post by ricogordon235
Hello Hilary! I have recently graduated with a first class from a mediocre university in Economics. I need some advice on what to do to get into a finance /banking career as I have a lack of experience, haven't done any internships. What can I do to stand out to employers? Am I really limited given my circumstances? I am interested in Equity research mostly but unsure how realistic it would be to get into, also S&T (trading side). Looking for other possible career paths or just a general direction to go in next. any help is appreciated thanks!

Hello mate,

Based on my experience as someone with a few years experience working in mergers and acquisitions at Bank of America. A person who went to a "mediocre" university means that you did not go to a "target school". WBS for example is a target. Several of their students only go into Investment Banking as it is a "target". Your application is most likely to go into the bin, particularly with no experience. Infact, when we were hiring from Bank of America, we would pick people specifically who went to our University. So for example I went to UCL, So I picked a Ucl candidate. An ex Warwick student picked a Warwick student for an analyst position... etc. Several WBS students also start from 1st year gaining experience by doing spring weeks. Then doing summer internships, then getting offers after they graduate.

But you are not limited. If that was something that I "really" wanted to do if I was in your shoes, I would do a master's in finance at a "Target school" and apply to be an analyst/associate from then on. Improve your networking and try and gain connections to... It is not about what you know, but who you know. "Old boys network". I would also suggest applying to smaller boutique firms, rather than household names to increase your chances. However, a lot of students feel that Investment Banking just isn't for them. It is extremely long hours, little pay. Less than minimum wage in the first few years, and you are completely overworked, It is no wonder the suicide rate in investment banks are so high, not to mention most (90%) are either fired/go into another field, within the first 2 years. Also, you mention S&T, realistically that specific sector of IB is going to be fully automated in the next few years, so is it really worth going into that?

Have a deep think about what it is you really want to do, then do it. No one will stop you.

Delan.
Original post by Delan Shaweis
Hello mate,

Based on my experience as someone with a few years experience working in mergers and acquisitions at Bank of America. A person who went to a "mediocre" university means that you did not go to a "target school". WBS for example is a target. Several of their students only go into Investment Banking as it is a "target". Your application is most likely to go into the bin, particularly with no experience. Infact, when we were hiring from Bank of America, we would pick people specifically who went to our University. So for example I went to UCL, So I picked a Ucl candidate. An ex Warwick student picked a Warwick student for an analyst position... etc. Several WBS students also start from 1st year gaining experience by doing spring weeks. Then doing summer internships, then getting offers after they graduate.

But you are not limited. If that was something that I "really" wanted to do if I was in your shoes, I would do a master's in finance at a "Target school" and apply to be an analyst/associate from then on. Improve your networking and try and gain connections to... It is not about what you know, but who you know. "Old boys network". I would also suggest applying to smaller boutique firms, rather than household names to increase your chances. However, a lot of students feel that Investment Banking just isn't for them. It is extremely long hours, little pay. Less than minimum wage in the first few years, and you are completely overworked, It is no wonder the suicide rate in investment banks are so high, not to mention most (90%) are either fired/go into another field, within the first 2 years. Also, you mention S&T, realistically that specific sector of IB is going to be fully automated in the next few years, so is it really worth going into that?

Have a deep think about what it is you really want to do, then do it. No one will stop you.

Delan.

Thanks Delan I really appreciate the advice and I thought as much. I done pretty well in my A levels but didn't have good advice on the right career path which meant going to a top uni, so just went to the closest university to me. I may try the masters at a target university, this sounds like a good option. I'm still not exactly sure what I would like to do but I just know I love maths and anything around the finance sector was possibly looking for more suggestions of career paths. I also thought as much S&T is a dying field which is why I am abit lost as I orignally wanted to become a trader of forex, commodities when I began my Economics degree. thanks again.
Hi Hilary, I hope you’re doing well. I am currently doing my 12th grade and I wanted to know what subjects and percentage I need for applying for International Business course at Warwick University.
Reply 15
Hi everyone!

Hi! Hilary,
I am currently discussing about universities with my family.
I am an international student and most likely to go to University of Warwick. After I graduate, I want to look for the jobs related to finance or accounting. However, I have heard that if you want to go to finance firm, it is important to have a economics major. Is there many students who have entered finance firm with management degree in Warwick? If there are, please give me some real examples of careers. Also, is it difficult to enter the firm in UK as a international student?

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 2s020
Hi! Hilary,
I am currently discussing about universities with my family.
I am an international student and most likely to go to University of Warwick. After I graduate, I want to look for the jobs related to finance or accounting. However, I have heard that if you want to go to finance firm, it is important to have a economics major. Is there many students who have entered finance firm with management degree in Warwick? If there are, please give me some real examples of careers. Also, is it difficult to enter the firm in UK as a international student?

Thank you

I do not know where you got that information from. The reality is that most people in finance careers either studied accounting finance or management. Also, you get to create a degree called management with Finance at Warwick by selecting finance modules in your second and third years. Examples of finance related careers are many from investment banking, to big 4 companies, to boutiques, to anything finance-related really. Just look at people's linked in profiles who went to Warwick business school that studied management, tells you everything you need to know.
Thanks Delan I really appreciate the advice and I thought as much. I done pretty well in my A levels but didn't have good advice on the right career path which meant going to a top uni, so just went to the closest university to me. I may try the masters at a target university, this sounds like a good option. I'm still not exactly sure what I would like to do but I just know I love maths and anything around the finance sector was possibly looking for more suggestions of career paths. I also thought as much S&T is a dying field which is why I am abit lost as I orignally wanted to become a trader of forex, commodities when I began my Economics degree. thanks again.

Networking is a key to break into finance. A person named Michael Truckle who went to got into J.P morgan through randomly meeting someone on a train. Research "Talking to total strangers on trains got me my first job in banking by Michael Truckle 23 April 2018" on google. Reach out to any old friends/family you can. There was even a few UCL students last year who literally stood outside banks all day throughout the summer with their CV's. It then got media attention and banks took notice and they got a lot of offers. Depends on how far you are willing to go to get a job these days.... Unless your dad/uncle or something is the CEO/MD , it is very difficult.... There are also a lot of selfish people out there too, I found people that help others the most to get into banks or finance firms are because someone helped them at one point in time. What goes around, comes around.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!

Hi,
Congratulations on your offers for both Law & Business and Management! The ICAEW partnership or UPP is open to both Accounting & Finance and Management students but not Law & Business I'm afraid. As a Law & Business student you would still be able to do an optional placement year but it wouldn't be part of the formal UPP (Undergraduate Partnership Programme). If you have any further questions about the UPP as an offer holder, you can contact our UPP Course Director [email protected] and she will be able to advise you. I hope that helps.

Hi @ricogordon235
I agree with a lot of Delan's advice around perhaps taking a relevant Masters at a target school and then benefitting from their employer partnerships/contacts and appear more 'attractive' to potential recruiters. It is really difficult to get into a finance/banking career without relevant internships/work experience during your degree. However, networking is essential - are there any alumni networks at your previous university (e.g. LinkedIN group)? That way you could reach out to previous students who might be working in your preferred career and find out more - get advice/tips etc? What we call 'Informational Interviewing'. What about your personal network (e.g. friends, family)? What jobs do they do? What contacts do they have?
It is also worth exploring what specifically it is about these careers that attract you, really break down what specifically you like about it. Will it play to your strengths? What types of tasks/work environment do you enjoy? Once you know the main elements you want in a job, you will then be in a better position to also look at alternative careers that could be right for you. Does your university have an alumni career service that you could use to discuss your options further? Or perhaps doing a career planner questionnaire might help generate some ideas: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/planner I hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest