The Student Room Group

Did you ever question whether or not it is right to eat meat and how it is produced?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maths42
I suggest you watch this Ted talk, it addresses your point and so many others.

https://youtu.be/byTxzzztRBU

Nothing in this video is a logical argument, the man just compared hunting sports to female genital mutilation, and eating meat to adopting dogs to torture them.
Reply 81
Original post by V℮rsions
Nothing in this video is a logical argument, the man just compared hunting sports to female genital mutilation, and eating meat to adopting dogs to torture them.

The dog example was justified because he provided sources to justify that meat is unnecessary first. Regarding female genital mutilation, of course it's not the same, all he was saying is that it's legal in some countries but that doesn't make it moral. So by the same logic, just because meat is legal, it doesn't mean that it's moral.

Due to the speed of your response, you don't seem to have watched the whole video. I highly recommend watching it through, I promise it's one of the most valuable 20 minutes of your life.
Reply 82
As a vegan, I would never question myself on whether it is wrong or right to eat meat, but essentially it is the choice of the individual, and everyone else should remember that.
Original post by maths42
The dog example was justified because he provided sources to justify that meat is unnecessary first. Regarding female genital mutilation, of course it's not the same, all he was saying is that it's legal in some countries but that doesn't make it moral. So by the same logic, just because meat is legal, it doesn't mean that it's moral.

Due to the speed of your response, you don't seem to have watched the whole video. I highly recommend watching it through, I promise it's one of the most valuable 20 minutes of your life.

No I watched the whole video on 1.75, there's no credibility in what he's saying, especially with warped ideas such as his comparisons. He tried to assume in a moral sense that abusing a dog is equal to eating meat -- he didn't mention the implicit and explicit harm being caused, simply that they're the same but one is "paying someone else to do it for you".

I'm not disagreeing with everything he's saying, but the guy clearly has spent the night before revising this speech, and any claims on morals are absolute farcrys from reality. Not the best representative as a pathway to veganism.
Reply 84
Original post by LDTBOAG
As a vegan, I would never question myself on whether it is wrong or right to eat meat, but essentially it is the choice of the individual, and everyone else should remember that.

It shouldn't be because the animals don't get a choice
Reply 85
Original post by maths42
It shouldn't be because the animals don't get a choice

True, but I would never push my beliefs onto others. I do not see any reason why other vegans do that, because they are too interfering.
Reply 86
No I watched the whole video on 1.75, there's no credibility in what he's saying, especially with warped ideas such as his comparisons. He tried to assume in a moral sense that abusing a dog is equal to eating meat -- he didn't mention the implicit and explicit harm being caused, simply that they're the same but one is "paying someone else to do it for you".

I'm not disagreeing with everything he's saying, but the guy clearly has spent the night before revising this speech, and any claims on morals are absolute farcrys from reality. Not the best representative as a pathway to veganism.

Since we can thrive on a vegan diet, meat isn't necessary, hence it's reasonable to compare it to dog abuse. Livestock get abused so much, it's terrible but true.

I really think everything he says makes so much sense. I'd highly recommend watching it again at normal speed and taking some time to reflect on it. You can't deny the power of his final point, that an animal gave its life for a meal that you will eat and then forget about.
Reply 87
Original post by LDTBOAG
True, but I would never push my beliefs onto others. I do not see any reason why other vegans do that, because they are too interfering.

I went vegan predominantly to reduce animal suffering. But I can reduce it further if I inspire others too. And I honestly think way more people would be vegan if they knew all the facts, most people just eat meat without questioning it and I think they deserve to know the truth.
Original post by maths42
Since we can thrive on a vegan diet, meat isn't necessary, hence it's reasonable to compare it to dog abuse. Livestock get abused so much, it's terrible but true.

I really think everything he says makes so much sense. I'd highly recommend watching it again at normal speed and taking some time to reflect on it. You can't deny the power of his final point, that an animal gave its life for a meal that you will eat and then forget about.

No, it's not comparable to dog abuse. Again, implicit and explicit. There's big mental differences in picking up and cooking sausages from ASDA, and literally adopting a dog just to beat it. Mentally and physically. These are arguments for people who have no reasoning.

Also who is valuing an animals life as more than my meals? I will forever be grateful for every meal I have, however I don't have to remember every animal, farmer or lorry driver who got it to my plate - as no human or animal has ever done. Ever
Reply 89
No, it's not comparable to dog abuse. Again, implicit and explicit. There's big mental differences in picking up and cooking sausages from ASDA, and literally adopting a dog just to beat it. Mentally and physically. These are arguments for people who have no reasoning.

Also who is valuing an animals life as more than my meals? I will forever be grateful for every meal I have, however I don't have to remember every animal, farmer or lorry driver who got it to my plate - as no human or animal has ever done. Ever

Buying meat is as bad as killing the animal yourself, it's easy to forget that you're paying for an animal to be killed but it doesn't make it any less bad.

How selfish is it to justify torture, abuse and murder just because you enjoy the taste of your meal a bit more? There's no way that your pleasure from eating meat outweighs the suffering inflicted on the animals.
Original post by maths42
Buying meat is as bad as killing the animal yourself, it's easy to forget that you're paying for an animal to be killed but it doesn't make it any less bad.

How selfish is it to justify torture, abuse and murder just because you enjoy the taste of your meal a bit more? There's no way that your pleasure from eating meat outweighs the suffering inflicted on the animals.

Firstly, no it's not. Buying meat is morally implicit in murdering the animal, the slaughtering of it being the explicit act. Also, regardless this has nothing to do with abusing a dog, which is much worse than buying meat. One is done to feed yourself with no malicious intent, the other is actively driving to an adoption centre, adopting a dog and beating it for entertainment. If you think they're the same then you're either completely blind to standards of horror, or you are a troll.

And yeah man, I absolutely justify eating meat. Problem with veganism is that they refuse to accept the deaths of habitats and animals which go into their products, but it's ok because they didn't kill the animal to turn it into food, just to help non-animal food grow. direct actions and indirect actions, as I've been saying. :tongue:
Original post by maths42
There's no way that your pleasure from eating meat outweighs the suffering inflicted on the animals.

The fact that a large proportion of the world population eats meat suggests that people think otherwise...
Original post by maths42
If your parents bring you up as a meat eater, you don't have any idea where meat comes from when you're a baby - your parents just give it to you. At some point, you realise that animals had to be killed to produce it.

I am curious as to when you first realised that animals were killed to produce meat and when (if ever) you considered whether or not it is right to eat animals. When considering whether or not it is right, did you look into how animals are slaughtered?

Children aren't educated on how exactly meat is produced but most adults think that it's done humanely (even though this isn't really the case in reality) so I am wondering when exactly people first start to think that it's humane, and if most children go through a stage where they imagine it's not produced humanely but just continue eating meat anyway because they don't care about the animals.

I always accepted the cruelty of animals as a way of life when i was younger and my ethical personal philsophy wasn't too well flushed out. Now as a meat eater I do recognise that I am in the morally wrong. Veganism is moral, by any standard of analysis. going plant based it will reduce the suffering of animals and also help fight against climate change. But this hasn't stopped me from eating meat, simply because it is too impractical. I come from a relatively impovrished background and a vegan diet will pretty much bankrupt me. It's akin to how i recognise walking everywhere is wayy more moral than driving a car, but sometimes you just gotta use a car. I will try and go vegan some point in my life, but probably not soon
Reply 93
Original post by maths42
I'm actually spending less than ever on my food. I shop at Aldi and buy a lot of tins - 22p for a tin of baked beans, 35p for a tin of cannellini beans of chickpeas etc. And also you can buy a full size loaf of bread for 36p and a 500g pack of spaghetti for 20p. And so much more cheap stuff too. Honestly there's no need to spend a lot and we can get so many nutrients from these things and cheap vegetables (I buy frozen diced onions from Aldi, 65p per pack and it is so easy to prepare them and they provide a lot of servings. And 65p for a huge pack of frozen broccoli). You can prepare so many delicious dishes with minimal effort from cheap ingredients and I honestly find this food so much more tasty than a piece of meat! I do also take supplements just to be on the safe side, these didn't cost too much and I would be happy to help you to find some good value vegan ones.

Meat can be cheap because it's produced on such a large scale and is subsidised by the government - if processed vegan food was produced on the same scale and subsidised too it would be so much cheaper.

It's great to hear that you were vegan in the past and I'm really sorry to hear about you becoming homeless, I hope that your circumstances are more favourable now. I would highly suggest that you think back to why you went vegan before and remind yourself of why it was such a great decision. I would be more than happy to help you to make the switch again, feel free to message me anytime for a friendly chat. :smile:

that's great :h: i'm assuming you weren't homeless while you're buying and cooking all this food.

how much are suppliments and are they cheaper than buying and budgeting non-vegan food?

For one, you've barely responded to anything I said and I shall duly count that as you not having a contrary argument to any of it.

As pertains to that chap:
- He's not the world's strongest man (he holds some records but others hold more and he has never won WSM)
- That's one man and anecdotal - I'll answer to a proper peer-reviewed and reproduced study
- Diet may be a factor in becoming as strong as he is but it's not the only factor
- It doesn't say what he was eating before he became vegan and whether he could have moved to an improved omnivorous diet instead
- The strongman organisation he competes in does not do doping tests - I can't prove anything here but doping's rife in strongman so it wouldn't surprise me if his muscles weren't entirely plant-based
- The protein he consumes (410 grams per day) is highly processed which I can't help thinking is not as good as naturally occurring animal protein
- Why are there not more vegan strongmen if it's so good?
Look, arguing back is not helping your cause. You want people to stop supporting these industries, I understand.

But you’re presenting all vegans in a bad light. Give out some facts, say hey Eating meat does this to the environment etc and there will be many people who may consider eating it less or maybe not at all etc. But carrying on like this is not going to help your cause at all, in fact it may even put people off veganism and vegetarianism because they view you as being a representation of (lots of) vegans. Cop on.
Reply 96
Original post by Rufus the red
For one, you've barely responded to anything I said and I shall duly count that as you not having a contrary argument to any of it.

As pertains to that chap:
- He's not the world's strongest man (he holds some records but others hold more and he has never won WSM)
- That's one man and anecdotal - I'll answer to a proper peer-reviewed and reproduced study
- Diet may be a factor in becoming as strong as he is but it's not the only factor
- It doesn't say what he was eating before he became vegan and whether he could have moved to an improved omnivorous diet instead
- The strongman organisation he competes in does not do doping tests - I can't prove anything here but doping's rife in strongman so it wouldn't surprise me if his muscles weren't entirely plant-based
- The protein he consumes (410 grams per day) is highly processed which I can't help thinking is not as good as naturally occurring animal protein
- Why are there not more vegan strongmen if it's so good?

I'm sorry I didn't address everything from your previous message, this was out of character for me and all I can say is that I was really tired and had shut my computer down but wanted to send you something to answer the question in your message before I went to bed.

Regarding your links that rubbish The Game Changers, yes of course there are always going to be arguments about any documentary but these are one-sided and you have to bear in mind that a lot of these arguments stem from research that was funded by the meat and dairy industry to try to mislead us. Also most people have a misconception ingrained in their mind that we absolutely need animal products. I don't have the time this morning to read through the articles you gave links to and address all the points properly (in view of the fact that this response is already very long and I am really doing my best to address everything for you), however it's certainly worth bearing in mind that the NHS says "With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs".

You can't deny that meat leads to health problems. However, whenever health problems associated with meat are reported by the press, the meat industry very quickly gets involved with other press reports designed to confuse us. The confusion means that people don't know what to believe, and can't see a reason to give up meat. We need to bear in mind that the meat, fish, dairy and egg industries are absolutely massive and regardless of the unnecessary animal suffering, they will do whatever it takes to try to protect their businesses. This is combined with the fact that most people think we need to eat meat and most companies that sell food sell meat and advertise it. So however valid the arguments are for veganism, tragically they don't get listened to properly and it is a vicious circle.

Do also bear in mind that 50 years ago, there were adverts saying that smoking is good for you. People believed this and smoked and think of all the problems this has caused. Maybe in 50 years time meat will be thought of in the same way as smoking is now with regards to our health!

Regarding your idea of getting locally-bred animals from smaller-scale farms due to the issue of future pandemics, we have to bear in mind that half of the world's habitable land is used for agriculture and three quarters of this is used for animal farming. So there simply isn't the land available for everyone to eat meat if it wasn't factory farmed (bearing in mind that 95% of meat comes from factory farming in the UK and 99% in the USA). It just doesn't work to try to produce enough meat to feed humans given how large our population is! So it is inevitable that if we eat meat, we risk future pandemics such as a mutation of bird flu or swine flu. Maybe in 10 years time we'll have 2 years of lockdowns and millions of people will die as a result. Even if there weren't any other negative impacts of eating meat, surely this alone is enough of a reason to give it up! Living with lockdowns, having businesses destroyed, people dying etc. is surely not a price worth paying so that people like the taste of their food a bit more.

You say "We are descended from herbivores but we have evolved to catch animals by evolving to run long distances for long periods". Regardless of whether or not this is the case, it doesn't justify eating meat. Just because it is possible to do something doesn't mean that we should. We can live on a vegan diet, therefore eating meat is a choice for us, but something that is inflicted on animals. Our ancestors did a lot of things that most people disapprove of (e.g. slavery), surely most people today want to do what is right. We can eat animals, but we can also choose not to rather than inflict suffering on them.

If you look it up, lots of athletes have gone vegan.

Re your post from this morning, ok maybe there are other men who can claim to be stronger by another measure and yes one case isn't proof. But maybe those other men would be even stronger if they were vegan. Yes maybe he's doing other things too that not all strong men are doing. But equally maybe other men are doing other things that he isn't. To answer your question of when he became vegan, I have done a quick Google search and he became vegetarian in 2005 and vegan in 2011. Suggesting that a different omnivorous diet might have been better gives no reason to believe that this is the case. Other men competing with the same organisation are just as likely to have taken dope so I don't get your argument about that. You say that he has eaten processed protein. What we should realise is that meat is processed protein. Animals are the middle man, if we eat them the nutrients came from the plants but meat contains bad stuff too. It's much better to eat the plants directly. You say why are there not more vegan strong men? Presumably because only a small proportion of athletes have tried a vegan diet - they have thrived on it and I'm sure that others would if they tried it. However, sadly most still have the misconception that they need meat.
Reply 97
Original post by Dapper Fighter
Look, arguing back is not helping your cause. You want people to stop supporting these industries, I understand.

But you’re presenting all vegans in a bad light. Give out some facts, say hey Eating meat does this to the environment etc and there will be many people who may consider eating it less or maybe not at all etc. But carrying on like this is not going to help your cause at all, in fact it may even put people off veganism and vegetarianism because they view you as being a representation of (lots of) vegans. Cop on.

I can assure you that I am just trying to do the right thing by sharing facts and addressing any points that people make against veganism. I am a friendly person and am more than happy to engage in conversations with people, and to support anyone with a journey towards veganism. :smile: I am an individual and like every individual vegan, my actions don't represent what other vegans would do and every vegan will have different personal views. But like other ethical vegans, I really feel sorry for the animals and I want to do what I can to help them. I'm actually a pretty chilled out person normally and tend to avoid arguments and am sorry if my passion for veganism hasn't reflected this.
Reply 98
Original post by Joleee
that's great :h: i'm assuming you weren't homeless while you're buying and cooking all this food.

how much are suppliments and are they cheaper than buying and budgeting non-vegan food?

Yeah, I am fortunate in that I haven't been homeless and I do feel sorry for people who find themselves homeless. It is particularly sad in your case that you felt forced into ditching veganism while you were homeless and I think it would be great if this issue could be addressed - perhaps there could be an organisation which offers free vegan food to the homeless, for example. For that matter, it must also be particularly difficult for homeless people who have allergies and again, perhaps something should be done to support them.

Veganism aims to avoid all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals as far as is possible and practicable. If it wasn't possible or practicable to be a vegan when you were homeless then that is understandable and it is perhaps one of the few circumstances in which you can eat meat but still call yourself a vegan. It is perfectly acceptable for a vegan to eat animal products if that is the only food that they have access to. So please don't feel that you lost your morals because of it, it is very respectable that you went vegan in the first place and you did what you needed to do during a difficult time.

In terms of my supplements, I buy "Veg 1" from the vegan society. They charge £12.70 for a 180 pack plus £3.05 for delivery per order but the ones I have last for nearly 2 years, so if you want to minimise the delivery cost you could order 4 packs - a 2-year supply (pretty much - it's one tablet per day) for £53.85. That works out at 52p per week which hopefully isn't a huge cost even if your weekly spend on food is really small It is also great to know that any "profits" that might be made from this product go to a charity that supports veganism. This product contains most of the nutrients that may be missed out if a vegan diet isn't completely balanced, including vitamin B12. There are a few things which it doesn't include, including iron, calcium, zinc and omega-3; these can all be obtained fairly easily from a balanced diet (for example, I eat a tin of baked beans each day at breakfast which only costs 22p and contains 8mg of iron, with 4 slices of toast that give me 4mg of iron from an 18-slice loaf of bread that costs 36p, so that's just 8p for my bread and if the bread would go out of date before I eat it all, I put it in the freezer and toast the slices from frozen. So that's 12mg of iron just from my breakfast. The NHS recommends 8.7mg a day for men over 18 (so that's me more than covered just from breakfast) and for women over 50. They recommend 14.8mg a day for women aged 19 to 50 so if you're a woman, you'd still be nearly there just from breakfast :smile:).

One nutrient to consider is omega 3; many people think of fish as the only source of this. In fact, there are other sources including nuts, seeds and plant oils but it's worth bearing in mind that these don't provide the DHA type that we get from fish and although the body produces this from other types, it might not produce enough depending on your diet. The good news is it isn't fish that produce omega 3, they get it from algae. So there's no benefit to us from getting it from fish rather than algae. I don't know whether or not I need it but I do take an omega 3 supplement which I make sure is vegan and is DHA. Feel free to message me if you want help finding a good value vegan DHA product.

So sorry for the slightly long-winded answer, in summary you can get most of the vitamins you need using Veg 1 for 52p per week. If you buy several other supplements as well to be on the safe side meaning that you don't need to worry so much about your diet, you could spend up to £2 per week or you could go for a different vegan-friendly multivitamin which has more other vitamins in the first place and spend less. I think that this is much better value than spending that money on sausages, for example and like I've said the diet itself can be really cheap, easy and tasty using cheap ingredients from Aldi. I would be more than happy to suggest some meal ideas for you based on these products. Also I don't personally like milk but I do notice that plant-based milks in Aldi are very cheap, for example it's 55p for a litre of soya milk.

Best of luck, I hope you never find yourself homeless again and like I said do feel free to get in touch any time for support with any aspect of going vegan or even just for a chat. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by maths42
I'm sorry I didn't address everything from your previous message, this was out of character for me and all I can say is that I was really tired and had shut my computer down but wanted to send you something to answer the question in your message before I went to bed.

Regarding your links that rubbish The Game Changers, yes of course there are always going to be arguments about any documentary but these are one-sided and you have to bear in mind that a lot of these arguments stem from research that was funded by the meat and dairy industry to try to mislead us. Also most people have a misconception ingrained in their mind that we absolutely need animal products. I don't have the time this morning to read through the articles you gave links to and address all the points properly (in view of the fact that this response is already very long and I am really doing my best to address everything for you), however it's certainly worth bearing in mind that the NHS says "With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs".

I agree that the meat industry can be a powerful force which can attempt to mislead people but Game Changers is the vegan equivalent of that.
I've read numerous critiques of it (this and this are very good in particular) and the recurring themes I see show that it shows a one sided view of veganism and extrapolates horribly by neglecting lots of information and insinuating lots based on awful studies.
There's also the fact that the documentary was financed by lots of prominent vegans who are financially invested in vegan products - you can't expect an objective documentary from people invested in vegan foods like that just as you wouldn't expect an objective one from meat producers.

You can't deny that meat leads to health problems. However, whenever health problems associated with meat are reported by the press, the meat industry very quickly gets involved with other press reports designed to confuse us. The confusion means that people don't know what to believe, and can't see a reason to give up meat. We need to bear in mind that the meat, fish, dairy and egg industries are absolutely massive and regardless of the unnecessary animal suffering, they will do whatever it takes to try to protect their businesses. This is combined with the fact that most people think we need to eat meat and most companies that sell food sell meat and advertise it. So however valid the arguments are for veganism, tragically they don't get listened to properly and it is a vicious circle.

You are right that the industries will attempt to protect themselves and they do spread misinformation but a lot of the confusion is based around unhealthy meat products such as heavily processed meat (bacon, fried chicken et cetera) and meat over consumption (we eat more meat than our hunter-gatherer ancestors did).
Eating meat is a completely healthy and natural thing to do but people can take it too far and end up eating too much over processed meat which leads to the valid concerns. The meat industry attempts to hide this and keep us buying lots of unhealthy meat products rather than moderating our meat consumption and the plant-based industry attempts to extrapolate from this and use it as evidence that meat is bad for us.

Do also bear in mind that 50 years ago, there were adverts saying that smoking is good for you. People believed this and smoked and think of all the problems this has caused. Maybe in 50 years time meat will be thought of in the same way as smoking is now with regards to our health!

I'd still argue that the fact that we evolved to eat animals shows that eating meat (if not overly processed and consumed in excess) is no problem.

Regarding your idea of getting locally-bred animals from smaller-scale farms due to the issue of future pandemics, we have to bear in mind that half of the world's habitable land is used for agriculture and three quarters of this is used for animal farming. So there simply isn't the land available for everyone to eat meat if it wasn't factory farmed (bearing in mind that 95% of meat comes from factory farming in the UK and 99% in the USA). It just doesn't work to try to produce enough meat to feed humans given how large our population is! So it is inevitable that if we eat meat, we risk future pandemics such as a mutation of bird flu or swine flu. Maybe in 10 years time we'll have 2 years of lockdowns and millions of people will die as a result. Even if there weren't any other negative impacts of eating meat, surely this alone is enough of a reason to give it up! Living with lockdowns, having businesses destroyed, people dying etc. is surely not a price worth paying so that people like the taste of their food a bit more.

There are a number of things which should be done here before the extreme move of veganism: reduced meat consumption (especially red) which is something I commented on before; a move towards insect based food which is much more land efficient and has the benefit of lowering the chances of diseases which can be transferred to humans arising.

You say "We are descended from herbivores but we have evolved to catch animals by evolving to run long distances for long periods". Regardless of whether or not this is the case, it doesn't justify eating meat. Just because it is possible to do something doesn't mean that we should. We can live on a vegan diet, therefore eating meat is a choice for us, but something that is inflicted on animals. Our ancestors did a lot of things that most people disapprove of (e.g. slavery), surely most people today want to do what is right. We can eat animals, but we can also choose not to rather than inflict suffering on them.

It's more than something possible, it's something which we have done for millennia.
Comparing slavery to eating meat is utter rubbish as eating meat was done by our ancestors even before we became homo sapiens but slavery is much more modern and not something which we evolved to do.

If you look it up, lots of athletes have gone vegan.

The articles I linked earlier in this post looks into the vegan athletes who appeared in game changers and talks about them very well.
Various bits of information I've seen on the matter include:
- The fact that endurance sports rely on high carb diets and there is thus less difference in performance between vegan and omnivorous diets in those sports due to the sources of protein.
- Some athletes simply begin eating more healthily when they become vegan as they move away from heavily processed meat in excessive quantities
- [anecdotal] Frank Mir (a rather good UFC fighter) experimented with a full year meat free but found that his performance was not as good without meat in his diet

Re your post from this morning, ok maybe there are other men who can claim to be stronger by another measure and yes one case isn't proof. But maybe those other men would be even stronger if they were vegan. Yes maybe he's doing other things too that not all strong men are doing. But equally maybe other men are doing other things that he isn't. To answer your question of when he became vegan, I have done a quick Google search and he became vegetarian in 2005 and vegan in 2011. Suggesting that a different omnivorous diet might have been better gives no reason to believe that this is the case.

The two bits in bold show that you are using opposite arguments to prove two different things and my response to that would just be swapping omnivorous and vegan around.
You give the date when he became vegan but I was concerned with what he was eating before he became vegan and whether he began eating more healthily when he became vegan or whether the only factor was the source of nutrients.

Other men competing with the same organisation are just as likely to have taken dope so I don't get your argument about that.

My argument is that it makes the diet a less significant factor as it could end up being the case that it's the people with the most stuff in their veins that are winning.
(though still speculative)

You say that he has eaten processed protein. What we should realise is that meat is processed protein. Animals are the middle man, if we eat them the nutrients came from the plants but meat contains bad stuff too. It's much better to eat the plants directly.

We have evolved to eat animals and are therefore adapted to the processing that the animals do to the food.
The two emboldened bits are slightly off as the animals do process the plants the eat meaning that eating the animal-processed plants is not the same as eating the plants directly.
What bad stuff does meat contain in particular?

You say why are there not more vegan strong men? Presumably because only a small proportion of athletes have tried a vegan diet - they have thrived on it and I'm sure that others would if they tried it. However, sadly most still have the misconception that they need meat.

Frank Mir is, again, a good example here.
In high level sport every little counts and I'm sure that if there was a benefit for vegan athletes there would be many more of them but we simply don't see this.

Quick Reply

Latest