The Student Room Group

which uni to firm Leeds vs nottingham

I have applied for a degree in law and I am currently struggling to decide between firming Leeds or Nottingham - they have both given me offers of AAA. I was given UCAS predicted of A*AA and hopefully will get this but might be looking at A*AB with the B in history.
I currently live in Nottingham so I am aware of what the Uni campus and the city are like. I have also visited Leeds and slightly prefer the city.
Both UNI's have pros and cons:
Nottingham has a better reputation and is targeted by many London firms- however I am pretty sure that I don't want to go into corporate Law so this may not be a factor that I should take into account
Nottingham is close to home which is both a positive and negative as I am worried moving into accommodation may be a waste of money and I may not get the full experience of living away from home.
If covid continues I could easily study from home and commute for any in person learning
I am familiar with the city- however I would be limiting my experiences somewhat.
Leeds looks as if it has more options for modules and they appear to attract me more.
I prefer the Leeds accommodation and like the city, I would also get a different experience
Leeds has a big law sector of its own and has more options for study abroad.
Leeds is also not far away from Nottingham so I would be able to easily come home.
I am very torn as I believe that Nottingham would be the smart choice but Leeds for some reason is appealing to me. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage for going to Leeds?
Opinions? I don't have long to make a decision
Reply 1
Original post by eve_mcgrenaghan
I have applied for a degree in law and I am currently struggling to decide between firming Leeds or Nottingham - they have both given me offers of AAA. I was given UCAS predicted of A*AA and hopefully will get this but might be looking at A*AB with the B in history.
I currently live in Nottingham so I am aware of what the Uni campus and the city are like. I have also visited Leeds and slightly prefer the city.
Both UNI's have pros and cons:
Nottingham has a better reputation and is targeted by many London firms- however I am pretty sure that I don't want to go into corporate Law so this may not be a factor that I should take into account
Nottingham is close to home which is both a positive and negative as I am worried moving into accommodation may be a waste of money and I may not get the full experience of living away from home.
If covid continues I could easily study from home and commute for any in person learning
I am familiar with the city- however I would be limiting my experiences somewhat.
Leeds looks as if it has more options for modules and they appear to attract me more.
I prefer the Leeds accommodation and like the city, I would also get a different experience
Leeds has a big law sector of its own and has more options for study abroad.
Leeds is also not far away from Nottingham so I would be able to easily come home.
I am very torn as I believe that Nottingham would be the smart choice but Leeds for some reason is appealing to me. Would I be putting myself at a disadvantage for going to Leeds?
Opinions? I don't have long to make a decision

I would say Leeds. Their ranking and academic reputation for Law are similar- Nots might just edge it, but not by much - so you might as well go to Leeds to get the full uni experience.
It seems like you prefer leeds ! I’m going to firm them for law too😊 on one hand , yes, notts might have a marginal better reputation HOWEVER leeds is currently ranking above them in this league table if that’s an important factor for you. https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/best-uk-universities-for-law-league-table

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending