The Student Room Group

Finance or CS

Should i major in finance or computer science?
I am interested in both fields and thinking of a career in data analytics or quant finance and maybe banking.

I currently study maths,further maths,chemistry and geography for A levels and also do an AS in chemistry and an EPQ on virtual reality.

I have gained certificates so far from work experience in technology and finance and completed a python udemy course.
Reply 1
i think if you are interested, and capable (which I can see you are), then def go for CS, because its a must skill to have if you want to work in the areas you mentioned, esp for investment banking, I know that some BB banks require analysts to in-depth knowledge for programming languages for their global markets divisions.
Hello @Arkxhero,

It's great that you're thinking about your course choice and weighing up all the options!

I currently study BSc Finance & Economics, but I did take Computer Science for my A-Level so have a little experience of both subjects. Having gone to University, my advice would be to choose the one you are most passionate about and that links the most to your future career aspirations. If you really love the subject you study, you are more likely to work hard and be successful as well as enjoying your studies.

Read the content and course structure of both subjects and see which sounds more appealing to you and explore any taster sessions of these subject at University level if you can. Some courses may offer modules in other areas which could allow you to explore both - at Lancaster most courses have the option to take a minor module in first year, so it's worth contacting admissions teams to see what your options may be.

Best of luck with your decision, if you have any questions about Lancaster, don't hesitate to ask!

Charlie :smile:
2nd Year BSc Finance & Economics
Original post by wsodn23
i think if you are interested, and capable (which I can see you are), then def go for CS, because its a must skill to have if you want to work in the areas you mentioned, esp for investment banking, I know that some BB banks require analysts to in-depth knowledge for programming languages for their global markets divisions.

on the contrary you should go for cs because it's especially useful for analytics and other quantitative fields, not for ib, and you can do any job with a cs degree, but you can't do all cs jobs with a finance degree
CS will give you more optionality. You can easily recruit for IB doing CS (in the UK). They don't really care about your degree subject. Of course you can also recruit for the other things you mentioned (if possible I'd aim to attach a "with Maths" to the end of that CS degree because quant firms actually like eng/maths more than straight CS).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending