The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Has anyone done an Access course at University of Glasgow? Physics/Mathematics

I'm looking at doing an Access course at the University of Glasgow this year, with the hope of entry to study physics with Astrophysics in 2022.

Has anyone studied the Access courses recently and can provide me with some more information?

Hello, I just completed the Univeristy of Glasgow’s access programme this year but I studied Psychology and Sociology so I’d be happy to help! I enjoyed the course despite it being moved online (which may be the case for next year as well). In my experience the tutors are very helpful and the topics are interesting. It was the first year they moved the course online so there were some kinks to work out but overall I think they handled it okay. We had the chance to complete a formative assessment for each form of summative working we were required to complete (eg. A formative essay and lab report for each subject). Our grades were based on 3 summative assessments (for sociology it was two essays (40% each) and a glossary of terms (20%) and for psychology it was an essay (40%), lab report (40%) and group project (20%)) which culminated to give our final grade. I’m not sure what the summative workings would be for math/physics but I’d expect they’d be weighted similarly (two worth 40% of your grade and one worth 20%). I found the part time structure very beneficial and a lot of people who did the course also had full time jobs or childcare responsibilities. The ages of the students on the course was also quite varying with some 17 year olds and others who were in their 50s. Additionally, it is quite a fast paced and short course (started in September, finished all classes by end of March and will receive final grades in June). Regarding math, if you don’t have a previous qualification in it they may not recommend you taking the subject as it is especially fast paced, going from SCQF 5 material to SCQF 7 (uni level) in a short timeframe.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I just completed the Univeristy of Glasgow’s access programme this year but I studied Psychology and Sociology so I’d be happy to help! I enjoyed the course despite it being moved online (which may be the case for next year as well). In my experience the tutors are very helpful and the topics are interesting. It was the first year they moved the course online so there were some kinks to work out but overall I think they handled it okay. We had the chance to complete a formative assessment for each form of summative working we were required to complete (eg. A formative essay and lab report for each subject). Our grades were based on 3 summative assessments (for sociology it was two essays (40% each) and a glossary of terms (20%) and for psychology it was an essay (40%), lab report (40%) and group project (20%)) which culminated to give our final grade. I’m not sure what the summative workings would be for math/physics but I’d expect they’d be weighted similarly (two worth 40% of your grade and one worth 20%). I found the part time structure very beneficial and a lot of people who did the course also had full time jobs or childcare responsibilities. The ages of the students on the course was also quite varying with some 17 year olds and others who were in their 50s. Additionally, it is quite a fast paced and short course (started in September, finished all classes by end of March and will receive final grades in June). Regarding math, if you don’t have a previous qualification in it they may not recommend you taking the subject as it is especially fast paced, going from SCQF 5 material to SCQF 7 (uni level) in a short timeframe.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

Thanks for you response :smile:

Are you going on to Glasgow (or another) University this fall?

I'm curious as to how the Physics has been done online with needing to do lab work. Fingers crossed it's back to normal come September.

I should be fine with the maths as I'm already teaching myself Calculus, so making sure I'm ahead when I start.

How many hours a week did you find yourself studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending