The Student Room Group

oxbridge rejection

did anyone else also get extremely depressed after oxbridge rejection? after working on it for 2 years, a rejection just runs your only dream
I’m a gcse student and this scares me ouch I sympathise for you, can I ask how you prepared for it? Like I feel like in year 11 I’m not doing enough
Reply 2
Original post by ZedTV
did anyone else also get extremely depressed after oxbridge rejection? after working on it for 2 years, a rejection just runs your only dream

hey! so I havent applied yet but I plan to this year! I just hate the idea of rejection and makes me so upset if I did. just the thought of it. Honestly, I'm preparing so much in year 12 but year 11 just smash your gcses. strong gcses arent essential but slightly helpful ig. ahhhh so scary the thought lol
Reply 3
Original post by GeorgiaC0925
I’m a gcse student and this scares me ouch I sympathise for you, can I ask how you prepared for it? Like I feel like in year 11 I’m not doing enough

above :smile:
Original post by GeorgiaC0925

above lol. forgot to quote you
I applied last autumn purely to see if I would get in. If I got an offer I'd have turned it down because my heart was (and is - my firm offer is Manchester) set on Manchester Uni. I applied purely for potential bragging rights, sat the PAT and sadly didn't get past the first phase. I thought I'd have done quite well after it but as it turns out I didn't quite cut it. It disappointed me, definitely, but my heart was never set on it so I wasn't down in the dumps for long.

I don't see Oxford as particularly desirable other than academic caliber. The elitist picture it paints seems discomforting to me, someone coming well from the working class. I also find the middle class in general pretty irritating.
Reply 5
Original post by ZedTV

I think it is understandable to be depressed for a while, but then you have to pick yourself up and accept that things happen for a reason. You have four other options presumably? Two of my daughters were rejected from Cambridge and were gutted at the time but are now extremely happy in their chosen universities. Life is full of disappointments and shattered dreams. It's how you move on from these experiences that shapes your character. Maybe Oxbridge would not be the right environment for you to thrive. There is life beyond Oxbridge!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ZedTV

Disappointment is reasonable, expected and understandable but rejection is part and parcel of applying for elite universities.

I always say don't get your heart set on one university as ultimately just a place and a tool.

Focusing on what you want to achieve with your time at university is more important then where you are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Disappointment is reasonable, expected and understandable but rejection is part and parcel of applying for elite universities.

I always say don't get your heart set on one university as ultimately just a place and a tool.

Focusing on what you want to achieve with your time at university is more important then where you are.

thank you so much for all your replies. I mean its doesnt help that my family is immigrant based (british-bangladeshi minority group), I come from a severely underperforming school and my area isnt known for good stuff. But I guess I need to acknowledge reality of soemthings go to plan but not everything goes to plan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending