The Student Room Group

Not sure which degree I'm aiming for.

I have always wanted to study law. It's just something I never reconsidered. However, I recently did just that.

I'm currently Y11, two weeks away from finishing. My strongest subjects are English and History - essentially any essay based subjects. I'm going to sixth form and my current subject choices are A Level History, A Level English Literature and a WJEC Level 3 Diploma in Criminology.

If I end up wanting to do law I'm assuming I'll have to aim for a good uni - but apparently the criminology diploma is not seen as something as academic/valuable to universities as an A Level in its place?

The only other non-art related A Levels my school offer are Spanish and Biology, neither of which I would enjoy doing in my opinion.

So, I'm stuck. If necessary I will simply change what I plan on doing - I'm beginning to doubt my decision to study law in the first place but I just do not know what else to do.

I have considered a degree in either Criminology, English or History but I'm not entirely sure what career I'd be aiming for. I'm very interested in the workings of the law, the minds of criminals, and writing.

Honestly, I have no clue what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you! :smile:
It's a shame your school doesn't do psychology!
If I were you, I'd go for the biology A-level, especially if you've had your heart set on law for a while- I didn't think I'd enjoy it easier but it was actually so fun for me. But I'd advise against jumping into any big changes straight away if you're having second thoughts about law, so sorry this probably won't be very useful but I'd just say do more research into law (you have summer to decide on A-levels anyway, right?), do some work experience (and you can use that in personal statements for a lot of other applications on the same vein) and if you decide on law I'd say go for the change, but criminology sounds like an amazing btec to do. Also, you said 'apparently' which suggests you should possibly figure out which unis don't accept it and if some that look appealing in fact do accept it, then you have nothing to worry about.
You can become a lawyer later with conversion courses even if you study something unrelated at uni.

Also what is your interest based on? Work experience? You read some uni reading list titles and found it fascinating? You parents do the work and always talk about it at home?

There is a huge difference between liking the idea of something and the reality of studying it and practicing it for work.

If you are confused, you need to gather information. Talk to people who work in your fields of interest, start looking at uni reading lists, try to get work experience etc. etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
right this is something I 100% agree with, I also wanted to take 2 a levels and a btecs, for law. Most requirements for law is 3 a levels in that should be 1 or 2 essay based subjects. For law it doesn't matter what you do as long as they are all a levels and you get good grades in them.

I emailed UCL about their requirements and if 2 a levels and a btecs, wouldn't reduce the chances of studying law in 2023,they said they don't accept btecs,. It depends on what uni you want to go to/ aim for.

you said 'I'm very interested in the workings of the law, the minds of criminals, and writing.' this definitely sound like psychology especially the minds of criminals part, I'm pretty sure when i looked at the aqa examboard for psychology there is a 'Forensic Psychology' unit within it you may be interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest