The Student Room Group

slaughter and may or BCLP

I’ve been offered a place in both and i don’t know which to pick. slaughter & may is just 2 weeks but it’s a more prestigious law firm than BCLP. bclp is also 2 weeks but if I get into their alumni programme it goes up till 1st year of uni (not sure how that works or if i have to apply or i’ll be picked) ANYWAYS pls help
what's the alumni programme offering you over s&m
Original post by HoldThisL
what's the alumni programme offering you over s&m

you get a trainee to mentor you, they have a online hub to help w law applications, graduate recruitment team workshop in year 13 and shadowing
Original post by E.ky
you get a trainee to mentor you, they have a online hub to help w law applications, graduate recruitment team workshop in year 13 and shadowing

some firms give preference to their students on placement/internships/work experience when it comes to later applications if you do well - s&m may be one of them

do you think you need what bclp are offering you?

at this point in your life i don't think its a critical decision. although one may help you more than another, plenty of law students go on to prestigious (under)graduate jobs without doing what you're doing. if i were you i'd go with your heart on this one, you'll probably get the most out of the one you want most
Original post by HoldThisL
some firms give preference to their students on placement/internships/work experience when it comes to later applications if you do well - s&m may be one of them

do you think you need what bclp are offering you?

at this point in your life i don't think its a critical decision. although one may help you more than another, plenty of law students go on to prestigious (under)graduate jobs without doing what you're doing. if i were you i'd go with your heart on this one, you'll probably get the most out of the one you want most

i feel like i do get enough support from school that I am not necessarily in ‘need’ of the bclp programme but i do feel like it would be helpful. I might just go with the excellerators programme though (the s&m one)
Original post by E.ky
i feel like i do get enough support from school that I am not necessarily in ‘need’ of the bclp programme but i do feel like it would be helpful. I might just go with the excellerators programme though (the s&m one)

what im suggesting was you'll get more support at university too and the bclp program may not be as intensely useful as they make it sound
Reply 6
Slaughters for sure. You’ll get more offers for vac schemes with other firms by going with Slaughters. Take it from a future trainee👍
Original post by pgfp29
Slaughters for sure. You’ll get more offers for vac schemes with other firms by going with Slaughters. Take it from a future trainee👍

To be fair, I already have work experience in Freshfields, although the whole ‘experience’ was aimed at year 12s at the time, I did it in year 10 so I’m not sure if those kinds of privileges would apply to me.
Original post by E.ky
To be fair, I already have work experience in Freshfields, although the whole ‘experience’ was aimed at year 12s at the time, I did it in year 10 so I’m not sure if those kinds of privileges would apply to me.

How you getting that work experience in year 10?
Original post by daveymcloughlin
How you getting that work experience in year 10?

I’m not sure either to be honest but my school had connections with Freshfields (I think a partner might’ve been a governor) and so I ended up doing the work experience. There were only 4 girls from my school (including me) and 1 girl from another school (who was actually year 12). For some reason no one had applied or had known about it, maybe because it was over Easter but that still doesn’t make sense to me.
Sorry I missed your comment but of course I do! The hub is said to be ‘packed full of interactive resources, videos and wider reading material and covers a range of topics including an outline of routes into law, application tips and careers advice more generally e.g. preparing your CV’. The mentoring means that you will be paired with a trainee lawyer for 12 months. However, the aforementioned are during University and to be fair I’m looking to do this mostly to write it in my personal statement. However, the workshop and the shadowing takes place in year 13. The worship consists of teaching us about ‘commercial awareness’ and the shadowing consists of us shadowing lawyers from different departments and then talking to the graduate recruitment team.
I feel as though the Slaughter and May scheme isn’t really aimed at law though because the introductory email talks about how we will learn about different careers in a law firm and different paths to help get into law, also about how it’s aimed at people who are unsure about a career in law. But, I do know that I want to study law at University, I’m not sure how this will benefit me except writing about it in my personal statement and saying the experience made me sure that I wanted to study law or smth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending