The Student Room Group

MC firms with decent A levels

I’m doing philosophy and theology at Durham
I know nearly 50% of Nq lawyers are from the conversion course- and Durham is pretty well respected…. The prob is- my A levels. I got A*BB (contextual offer)
The only MC firm that would have an issue I think is Allen and Overy…. But they are merging with Shearman and Stirling so nobody knows how they will change
….
Freshfields, Slaughters, and Linklaters either: “we do not consider A levels or GCSEs”, “good a levels”, or “we have no minimum”

The problem arises with A and O, S and M, and Clifford Chance….
Clifford Chance want 340 UCAS points- I have that, does that make me possibly able to work there? (realistically?)
Same with Slaughters- they just want “good A levels”- could I actually end up working there with mine, and A and O- I heard would see my A*bb as equal to AAB

The issue with Slaughters is I’ve heard they are really stringent- but on what?! They don’t have specifiic requirements?

So- are my A levels realistically good for the MC? (Uni/degree is- so A levels are biggest concern) (although ive heard my grades would be viewed as the same as AAB as they are the same in terms of points- so i'd be treated the same as if someone got AAB- but even then, do i just pass the filter like everyone with AAB+, or is it "the bare minimum" that will negatively affect my application

Basically:
how important are A levels for selection, is it literally just a filter, or are they actually factored in- would someone be taken over someone else because they have 4A*s compared to 3A*s and a B? or someone with 5A*s compared to my lowly A*BB
Next- do I pass this filter? As I said- my grades are equal to AAB in Ucas points, so would US/MC forms actually consider me, like… is it at all realistic to even consider a placement there
Basically, are A levels just a filter
And do I pass that filter
Also what grades do Slaughters want? (And do mine suffice)

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending