The Student Room Group

German A Level

I am thinking about taking German A Level but I am not sure whether I will be able to manage it. I am predicted a grade 9 at GCSE but my success has mainly been down to memorising and regurgitating complex phrases in writing exams. How big of a jump is it from GCSE to A Levels? Does anyone find it somewhat boring (as I have heard that this is sometimes the case)? Does it require a lot more time and effort than other subjects? As someone who has absoloutely no experience or support in German apart from GCSE's, do you think I will be able to manage it? Sorry for so many questions, I am hoping that someone will be able to answer a few :smile:
Original post by CoZee
I'm aware that you're probably looking for someone who did/does German GCSE/ ALEVEL but when I did GCSE French just a year ago, I was just like you. I found regurgitating complex phrases and recalling fancy words to be the way forward for me (this is what worked for me.)
Part of this was down to good memory which I'm sure you also have, but like you said, the other half of the journey has to be enjoyment. If you know you're not willing to spend the hours to do an MFL at A level (btw. I'm not because I knew that A level French would be too difficult for me, given that I would have to learn and truly understand the grammar.) All I will say is, you have to know if you want to take German. Picture it now, is it something that you will make sure you put 100% effort in, because from personal experience, I don't regret not taking an A level language when I knew I want the A*s and that even if I had taken A level French (or in your case German) - It would have been too much for me in terms of hours to put in, time and effort. I'd rather spend that time on an A level I not only understand, but also on an A level I also enjoy.
Enjoyment equals commitment to stay motivated and strive to improve. If you find this feeling with German, then say no more - A level German would be "a must have!" On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts and if you're having to think in doubt about your A level future, then I'd say do something else for your own benefit. There's no point doing an A level that you won't achieve your best in. At the end of the day, this is your choice...
But if you want challenge (and really, hard work and dedication applies to every A level) then I'd say "go ahead and strive for the best. Get that A* in German!!"

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I actually do feel that I would have the motivation to work hard at German, although, as you said, I would have to work extra hard in order to pick up the grammar. I will keep researching different options for A Levels but reading your message allowed me to realise that German is something that I think I am quite passionate about, so thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by itisfiona123
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I actually do feel that I would have the motivation to work hard at German, although, as you said, I would have to work extra hard in order to pick up the grammar. I will keep researching different options for A Levels but reading your message allowed me to realise that German is something that I think I am quite passionate about, so thanks :smile:

As far as the grammar is concerned, a book you would treasure is Hammer's German Grammar and Usage - everything you will ever need to know about German grammar is in there.

https://www.routledge.com/Hammers-German-Grammar-and-Usage/Durrell/p/book/9780367150266
Original post by Kerzen
As far as the grammar is concerned, a book you would treasure is Hammer's German Grammar and Usage - everything you will ever need to know about German grammar is in there.

https://www.routledge.com/Hammers-German-Grammar-and-Usage/Durrell/p/book/9780367150266

Thanks! I will check that out :smile:
Hiya!I got a 6 at GCSE and took it for a-level! My actual alevels are next year. For y12 there’s not a huge jump - more vocab of course, but the topics are just extensions of what you’ve covered at gcse. Y13 covers topics such as immigration and racism. I can go into more detail if you’d like? Feel free to dm me on my public insta account @ charlottes.bestreads and I’d be more than happy to give more details and talk about it more thoroughly! I’d say if you love it then go for it :smile:
Original post by itisfiona123
I am thinking about taking German A Level but I am not sure whether I will be able to manage it. I am predicted a grade 9 at GCSE but my success has mainly been down to memorising and regurgitating complex phrases in writing exams. How big of a jump is it from GCSE to A Levels? Does anyone find it somewhat boring (as I have heard that this is sometimes the case)? Does it require a lot more time and effort than other subjects? As someone who has absoloutely no experience or support in German apart from GCSE's, do you think I will be able to manage it? Sorry for so many questions, I am hoping that someone will be able to answer a few :smile:

A language a level is more about skills rather than memory. I'm at the end of year 12 and got almost full marks in all of my exams for Spanish, but did barely any revision, because I practised vocab almost every day throughout the year, immersed myself in Spanish films and tv shows, and spoke to native speakers on an app called Tandem. Basically I think if you want to learn about German culture and would be motivated to develop your skills throughout the year, then I'd say go for it! For me Spanish is so rewarding because I have grown so much since the start of the year and I've found a passion for immersing myself in Spanish culture :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest