The Student Room Group

Final Year (Help)

I'm going into my final year at the University of Nottingham and one of my subjects is beginners German (meaning I only started study it in 2020 at the beginning of university). We were promised by the university that we'd be at A-Level level of German by the end of year 2 (didn't happen for anyone in my class), before we were sent off on our year abroad. I'm doing mine now, and I'm starting to realise that my level of German is not going to be good enough for final year. In Notts in final year the previous beginners students get put into the normal German classes for pre-A-level students as in theory the university expects us to be at that level by now. I can safely say that I am far from it, as are the rest of my classmates I think, and obviously my time is running out to try to get my German up to scratch before my finals arrive. I also study French (not from beginner level), and if I compare my French with my German, they're seriously worlds apart. I feel like COVID didn't help either, in Y1 and Y2 they gave the post A-level German students weekly speaking classes and the beginners didn't have any speaking practice yet were still expected to do speaking exams. The support has been minimal if not completely absent, and even after complaining to the department and suggesting improvements they weren't interested (unsurprisingly). Has anyone else been in my position before? If so, any reassurance / tips would be great. I feel confident about all other aspects of my degree, just not my German language module. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending