The Student Room Group

A to Z of words & phrases we didn't use 2 years ago

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Rolling Stone
actually Furlough has been used for years in the US, but had actually gone extinct in the UK - it was only used back in the days of WWII

No - people I knoe were furloughed in the 2000s!
Reply 21
Certain students on this thread struggle with the alphabet
Reply 22
Hancock's half hour
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 23
Indian variant
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by NJA
Hancock's half hour

explain? i was literally just talking about this as being something no one under the age of 40 would have heard of
Reply 25
explain? i was literally just talking about this as being something no one under the age of 40 would have heard of

A forgotten thing for the over 40s who probably heard their parents listening to it but when Hancock started appearing for about half an hour every day the memory resurfaced and the phrase returned to the vernacular

Original post by NJA
A forgotten thing for the over 40s who probably heard their parents listening to it but when Hancock started appearing for about half an hour every day the memory resurfaced and the phrase returned to the vernacular

how old are you? and have you seen The Rebel? genuinely one of the top 5 funniest films I've ever seen, and virtually no one seems to have heard of it!
Reply 27
how old are you? and have you seen The Rebel? genuinely one of the top 5 funniest films I've ever seen, and virtually no one seems to have heard of it!

56, covid survivor and no, but will put it on my bucket list.

J . . . Jacinda
(edited 2 years ago)
Kent variant.
Latest Covid Announcement

image_2021-06-25_220256.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 30
Moderna
New normal
Reply 32
Given up on O

P . . Pfizer
Reply 33
Q-anon
Reply 34
R-number
Reply 35
Social distancing
Original post by NJA
Can you give details?
Another example is in The Patriot, Colonials are offered furlough for enlisting, but most people were not familiar with the word.

G . . . GBNews

'On furlough' was routinely used in the army for someone given leave of absence in the 19th century but I don't think 'furloughed' was.
Reply 37
Test & Trace
Reply 38
U, V?

Witty (Chrus)
Original post by NJA
Social distancing

What about 'Sus'

Quick Reply

Latest