The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bolts
Thanks, really sorry to hear about your result- will you reapply?

It's quite a tough story for me. I can either go to study in Delft (Netherlands) or Lausanne (Switserland) and still reapply. If I'm offered a place, I go to Cambridge and 'lose' a year and if I'm not, I got one of these unis as a backup.

However, I can also choose to take a gap year and spend it as useful as possible to be sure I'll be offered a place (since I was pooled so I was pretty close). This is quite risky though.

It's pretty difficult and an offer would've simply made everything much better and easier, as I yesterday said on this thread. If you've got any advice, feel free to comment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1061
Original post by AFlyingDutchman
It's quite a tough story for me. I can either go to study in Delft (Netherlands) or Lausanne (Switserland) and still reapply. If I'm offered a place, I go to Cambridge and 'lose' a year and if I'm not, I got one of these unis as a backup.

However, I can also choose to take a gap year and spend it as useful as possible to be sure I'll be offered a place (since I was pooled so I was pretty close). This is quite risky though.

It's pretty difficult and an offer would've simply made everything much better and easier, as I yesterday said on this thread. If you've got any advice, feel free to comment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally ruined my AS - applied for history with an E :biggrin:
All my fav unis rejected me but on results day I got A*A*A*A (with 100% in the unit I got an E in!) so I decided I wouldn't settle for a uni I didn't like and reapplied for 2016 entry. It was an unexpected and unplanned gap year and I was crazy scared.

Last year I was rejected pre interview; I have retakes on my record; I felt really bad about my interviews this time around (the Director of Studies asked me "so why are you here again?"); I came from a state school with no history of Oxbridge entry; I took drama at A Level which they basically don't count (and that was one of my A* subjects); I'm currently on a slightly aimless gap year (working but not much relevant stuff to history); AND my UMS was only average for applicants.

Even after all of this, I still got an unconditional offer this time around.
I'm not trying to say it's easy - it really isn't, but you got much further than me this time around which means you don't have as much baggage as I do. I guess I'm trying to make the point that taking a year out and reapplying isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, nor is it detrimental. If you have the potential they might see it!

Ultimately it's your decision but I thought my 'story' was relevant!
Reply 1062
[QUOTE=AFlyingDutchman;61954111]It's quite a tough story for me. I can either go to study in Delft (Netherlands) or Lausanne (Switserland) and still reapply. If I'm offered a place, I go to Cambridge and 'lose' a year and if I'm not, I got one of these unis as a backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm not sure I am qualified to give advice but I'll give it a go...

I had only applied to Cambridge so I was planning on gap year and reapplying anyway if I hadn't gotten in, there is a fairly good correlation between reappliers and offers. That said, I understand how much of a risk it is and I think it's something you may have to decide yourself once you've reflected on what has happened.

I would recommend asking for feedback as that may aid your decision too. If money were no object and I were in your position I may consider going to one of those universities and then reapplying to Cambridge.

Perhaps you could consider how if you were to reapply without going to those other universities, if you worked really hard and did everything you could for reapplying you would be in such a great position for any other university you may want to go to.

Just my thoughts and if I'm still on this website and I meet my offer I'll give you my thoughts of the Cambridge course.

Best of luck in whatever happens for you :smile:
Original post by Macdoe
I totally ruined my AS - applied for history with an E :biggrin:
All my fav unis rejected me but on results day I got A*A*A*A (with 100% in the unit I got an E in!) so I decided I wouldn't settle for a uni I didn't like and reapplied for 2016 entry. It was an unexpected and unplanned gap year and I was crazy scared.

Last year I was rejected pre interview; I have retakes on my record; I felt really bad about my interviews this time around (the Director of Studies asked me "so why are you here again?"); I came from a state school with no history of Oxbridge entry; I took drama at A Level which they basically don't count (and that was one of my A* subjects); I'm currently on a slightly aimless gap year (working but not much relevant stuff to history); AND my UMS was only average for applicants.

Even after all of this, I still got an unconditional offer this time around.
I'm not trying to say it's easy - it really isn't, but you got much further than me this time around which means you don't have as much baggage as I do. I guess I'm trying to make the point that taking a year out and reapplying isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, nor is it detrimental. If you have the potential they might see it!

Ultimately it's your decision but I thought my 'story' was relevant!

Firstly congrats on your offer, well done! Thanks for sharing your story, it's definitely useful. I've always answered the question "will you take a gap year?" with a loud "no!", but I might come into the same kind of gap year as you. However, I think for a subject like engineering it's extremely important to keep working on maths and physics during the gap year, so I'll need to think about how to fill it in if I will take one.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bolts
Well I'm not sure I am qualified to give advice but I'll give it a go...

I had only applied to Cambridge so I was planning on gap year and reapplying anyway if I hadn't gotten in, there is a fairly good correlation between reappliers and offers. That said, I understand how much of a risk it is and I think it's something you may have to decide yourself once you've reflected on what has happened.

I would recommend asking for feedback as that may aid your decision too. If money were no object and I were in your position I may consider going to one of those universities and then reapplying to Cambridge.

Perhaps you could consider how if you were to reapply without going to those other universities, if you worked really hard and did everything you could for reapplying you would be in such a great position for any other university you may want to go to.

Just my thoughts and if I'm still on this website and I meet my offer I'll give you my thoughts of the Cambridge course.

Best of luck in whatever happens for you :smile:

Thanks mate, it will be quite hard to make a decision but of course the feedback may help me. I might also email the college for advice on this problem. I hope and think they're willing to help me, as I were pooled and therefore actually 'good enough' for Queens'. However, it will for sure be quite a difficult choice whether to reapply to Queens' or to another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer for NatSci Biological :smile:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/222797644721491/

^Queens' Offer Holders Facebook Group - please join if you have an offer!
Original post by This Saturday
Pooled to Churchill for Maths!
Posted from TSR Mobile

YAYAYAYAY, I knew you were destined for Cambridge all along This Saturday
Reply 1068
Original post by charlotteelise

I put myself on it, my photo is pretty old so don't be alarmed if you think some 14 year old is trying to join hahaha

This is quite painful :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AFlyingDutchman
This is quite painful :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry :frown::frown::frown:
I just received my offer! Conditional on me teaching myself further maths to A* in the space of four months, but hey - I got an offer!
Reply 1072
[QUOTE=chasvortex;61970685]I just received my offer! Conditional on me teaching myself further maths to A* in the space of four months, but hey - I got an offer!

Awesome! See you there :smile:
Original post by Shazza.k
YAYAYAYAY, I knew you were destined for Cambridge all along This Saturday

u so kind shazza

Okay. Don't be alarmed if Maggie Smith tries to join (I only have fake Facebook accounts, oh, the shame).
Edit: Never mind, I created a legit one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of applying for Lnad Economy in Queen's, but many people say it is harder to get offers from Queen's than others :frown:. What does everyone think ?
What are the things that everyone thinks make Queen's unique ?
Reply 1076
Original post by duonglisa
Hello everyone!
I'm thinking of applying for Lnad Economy in Queen's, but many people say it is harder to get offers from Queen's than others :frown:. What does everyone think ?

Don't apply tactically for 2 reasons:

First, the winter pool. The winter pool makes it more likely a good student will get an offer, and it means that if a college doesn't get enough apply that they think are "good enough" they can go to the winter pool to get good applicants.
A good application will get you in somewhere. A poor application will get you in nowhere.

Second, you have to live there for three years. Apply because you want to live there, not because you think it's the easiest.
Hey guys,

Has anyone got confirmation of their written work being received yet?

I sent it off with a postcard about a week ago and still haven't got it back.
Hello my dudes,

So I was recently reading this fascinating Tab article about the cost of Cambridge college pints but sadly my target college of Queens' isn't listed.

This is, of course, a deal breaker regarding my application /s.

So, I am reaching out to any current students to answer my query.

Cheers
Original post by roofoxmcc
Hello my dudes,

So I was recently reading this fascinating Tab article about the cost of Cambridge college pints but sadly my target college of Queens' isn't listed.

This is, of course, a deal breaker regarding my application /s.

So, I am reaching out to any current students to answer my query.

Cheers

The latest insider information on the price of the pint in Cambridge colleges can be found here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2226344

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending