The Student Room Group

Is it even possible to get 38 or above from the predicted grade in D2?

Is it even possible to get 38 or above from the predicted grade in D2, even if I get 28/42 from the final report in D1 in IB diploma? (I will probably get 24 from the D1 mock exam)

I tried to study to get the high scores from the d1 mock (my target was 36 / 42, and now I think I was too optimistic.) because I got 30 or something from the first and second term grades and I thought I definitely have to improve my grades. However, I did huge mistakes on the exam so I'm assuming that I will get lower scores from the d1 mock exam than my past grades.

The assumption is here; (I guess the final report from d1 and d2 will be used to assume the predicted grades so I think the d1 mock exam does not directly affect my future grades. )

Japanese A HL 6-7, Maths AI HL 3, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 5, overall 28-29 / 42 from the final report in d1.

Japanese A HL 5, Maths AI HL 2, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 1-2, overall 22-23 / 42 from the d1 mock exam.

I know my grades, especially the d1 mock exam is terrible...
But I must change everything of my grades to get 38 / 45 in the predicted grade in d2 because I want to study business management or marketing at LSE or UCL. Then the requirements are both 38, including 766 from HLs with HL maths. (my plan; Japanese 7, maths 6, eco 6, business 7, English b 5, chemistry 5)

My background is; I came to the UK when I was 16 in M5 and now I'm 18 in D1. So, my low grades are a little bit based on my English proficiency, but I should be able to get higher scores more because I study hard. So the thing is, my studying method is not efficient and productive.

So, could anyone suggest to me anything (strategies, plans, tips, etc.) about this?
I'm willing to spend whole my 2 months summer holidays to get 38.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by ibismylife
Is it even possible to get 38 or above from the predicted grade in D2, even if I get 28/42 from the final report in D1 in IB diploma? (I will probably get 24 from the D1 mock exam)

I tried to study to get the high scores from the d1 mock (my target was 36 / 42, and now I think I was too optimistic.) because I got 30 or something from the first and second term grades and I thought I definitely have to improve my grades. However, I did huge mistakes on the exam so I'm assuming that I will get lower scores from the d1 mock exam than my past grades.

The assumption is here; (I guess the final report from d1 and d2 will be used to assume the predicted grades so I think the d1 mock exam does not directly affect my future grades. )

Japanese A HL 6-7, Maths AI HL 3, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 5, overall 28-29 / 42 from the final report in d1.

Japanese A HL 5, Maths AI HL 2, Economics HL 3, Business 6, English B 5, Chemistry 1-2, overall 22-23 / 42 from the d1 mock exam.

I know my grades, especially the d1 mock exam is terrible...
But I must change everything of my grades to get 38 / 45 in the predicted grade in d2 because I want to study business management or marketing at LSE or UCL. Then the requirements are both 38, including 766 from HLs with HL maths. (my plan; Japanese 7, maths 6, eco 6, business 7, English b 5, chemistry 5)

My background is; I came to the UK when I was 16 in M5 and now I'm 18 in D1. So, my low grades are a little bit based on my English proficiency, but I should be able to get higher scores more because I study hard. So the thing is, my studying method is not efficient and productive.

So, could anyone suggest to me anything (strategies, plans, tips, etc.) about this?
I'm willing to spend whole my 2 months summer holidays to get 38.

Thanks,

That's quite a difficult situation, I don't mean to dishearten you but going from 24 to 38 points in such a short amount of time may not be very likely, not impossible but it'll be very difficult. It may be worth seeing if you could get contextual offers from UCL or any other unis so that way you have more chance of getting in. I'm not too sure but I think generally contextual offers are around 34 points, which is a lot more doable, though still hard.
I unfortunately did not take some of your subjects so I may not be of much help but I'd recommend you prioritise Maths and econ the most. With maths, you must do a lot of daily practice to ensure good progress, say 2-3 hours everyday. You can find resources from 'ibvillage' or 'ibdocuments.com' which has loads of resources for all subjects. Definitely practice past papers regularly too and don't be afraid to ask teachers for help at all! With you goal you'll have to work very hard to make the grades so use all help possible.
Remember with subjects like chemistry and maths it's not just knowing the content but the ability to apply it that is marked. So there is no point just memorising without understanding as this won't help you in the exams at all. Always do practice questions and papers to make sure you have a solid understanding that can be applied to different contexts.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ursulaa
That's quite a difficult situation, I don't mean to dishearten you but going from 24 to 38 points in such a short amount of time may not be very likely, not impossible but it'll be very difficult. It may be worth seeing if you could get contextual offers from UCL or any other unis so that way you have more chance of getting in. I'm not too sure but I think generally contextual offers are around 34 points, which is a lot more doable, though still hard.
I unfortunately did not take some of your subjects so I may not be of much help but I'd recommend you prioritise Maths and econ the most. With maths, you must do a lot of daily practice to ensure good progress, say 2-3 hours everyday. You can find resources from 'ibvillage' or 'ibdocuments.com' which has loads of resources for all subjects. Definitely practice past papers regularly too and don't be afraid to ask teachers for help at all! With you goal you'll have to work very hard to make the grades so use all help possible.
Remember with subjects like chemistry and maths it's not just knowing the content but the ability to apply it that is marked. So there is no point just memorising without understanding as this won't help you in the exams at all. Always do practice questions and papers to make sure you have a solid understanding that can be applied to different contexts.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for your deep explanation!
First, I mentioned that I got 24, however, I actually got 29 / 42 from the final report in D1.
(Japanese A HL 5, English B SL 5, Eco HL 4, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 4, Business SL 6, total 29) TOK Exhibition C

The highest but still realistic score plan is here;
(Japanese A HL 7, English B SL 5, Eco HL 6, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 6, Business SL 7, 36) TOK B as a result and EE A so that it is going to be 38 maximum.

So, 2 points up for Japanese, maths, economics
1 points up for Business
Keep English B and Chemistry as a 5 (because I am bad at Engish and science subjects.)

In terms of Business and Japanese, I think they are definitely possible to get. (Japanese is my first language and I'm interested in Business.)

Again, thank you for your reply but What do you think about my strategy?
Do you think this is still too unrealistic?
Could you tell me any advice for this if you have?

Thanks
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your deep explanation!
First, I mentioned that I got 24, however, I actually got 29 / 42 from the final report in D1.
(Japanese A HL 5, English B SL 5, Eco HL 4, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 4, Business SL 6, total 29) TOK Exhibition C

The highest but still realistic score plan is here;
(Japanese A HL 7, English B SL 5, Eco HL 6, Chemistry SL 5, Maths AI HL 6, Business SL 7, 36) TOK B as a result and EE A so that it is going to be 38 maximum.

So, 2 points up for Japanese, maths, economics
1 points up for Business
Keep English B and Chemistry as a 5 (because I am bad at Engish and science subjects.)

In terms of Business and Japanese, I think they are definitely possible to get. (Japanese is my first language and I'm interested in Business.)

Again, thank you for your reply but What do you think about my strategy?
Do you think this is still too unrealistic?
Could you tell me any advice for this if you have?

Thanks

Hi there,

That sounds good! That sounds a lot more doable and I think it's a good goal to have. Still, I'd definitely recommend putting more effort into maths as it's quite difficult to make that jump from 4 to 6 (from personal experience) so make sure to do lots of daily practice! With chemistry too it's quite a difficult subject so even though you're okay with keeping it at 5 do not neglect it as it can easily go down (also from personal experience haha)
Also make sure you put in effort for TOK and EE too as those are easy points that can be missed if not done right, always use all the help given to you and for TOK, just always link every point of yours to an AOK or/and WOK and you should be good :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ursulaa
Hi there,

That sounds good! That sounds a lot more doable and I think it's a good goal to have. Still, I'd definitely recommend putting more effort into maths as it's quite difficult to make that jump from 4 to 6 (from personal experience) so make sure to do lots of daily practice! With chemistry too it's quite a difficult subject so even though you're okay with keeping it at 5 do not neglect it as it can easily go down (also from personal experience haha)
Also make sure you put in effort for TOK and EE too as those are easy points that can be missed if not done right, always use all the help given to you and for TOK, just always link every point of yours to an AOK or/and WOK and you should be good :smile:

Hi,
Thank you but I have to get more points for the grade!

So now it is all clear what I have to do for maths through this summer.

However, I have no idea what to do for chemistry.

I mentioned that I got a 5 from chem but it is simply because the grade is based on the coursework rather than the D1 mock exam. (So, I am assuming that I probably got 4 from paper 1 and 1 or 2 from paper 2 in the D1 mock exam.)

I mean, I am super bad at science stuff, especially chemistry but I chose chemistry somehow. (Now I think that was the biggest mistake in my life.) But you know, all ib students have to take at least one science subject... I just want to study business at uni but still, it's important to get a solid 5 or 6 from chem...

Do you have any ideas for chemistry (or science)? (like study tips or something useful websites....)

Thank you for sharing your experiences in dp haha!
Reply 5
Hi,
Thank you but I have to get more points for the grade!

So now it is all clear what I have to do for maths through this summer.

However, I have no idea what to do for chemistry.

I mentioned that I got a 5 from chem but it is simply because the grade is based on the coursework rather than the D1 mock exam. (So, I am assuming that I probably got 4 from paper 1 and 1 or 2 from paper 2 in the D1 mock exam.)

I mean, I am super bad at science stuff, especially chemistry but I chose chemistry somehow. (Now I think that was the biggest mistake in my life.) But you know, all ib students have to take at least one science subject... I just want to study business at uni but still, it's important to get a solid 5 or 6 from chem...

Do you have any ideas for chemistry (or science)? (like study tips or something useful websites....)

Thank you for sharing your experiences in dp haha!

So I did take chemistry HL but dropped it a few months later simply because it was hard but unnecessary for my uni course. However, there are 2 YouTubers I know of called 'Richard Thornley' and 'Mike Sugiyama Jones' that are really good and helpful with chem, so defo check them out! apart from that, the official ib textbook and study guide are your best friends, I prefer the oxford one and you can easily find all these textbooks for chem and other subjects on 'ibdocuments.com' if you don't have a physical copy. I'd recommend that after you learn or study a topic, you do some practice questions as well as exam-style questions to practice applying your knowledge as that is what's important. There are so many exam questions you can use to practice on 'Questionbank' but it's usually only available for teachers, but its thankfully also on ibdocuments.com so defo utilise that :smile: I'm a M21 student so it should definitely still be there since I was using it just a few months ago haha
Also do not neglect your IA! it can be a huge help in boosting your grade so put your all into that too. I personally found it helpful to find exemplar grade 6/7 IAs and use their structure as a guide to how mine should be. I did this with all my IAs, except maths as the maths IA doesn't really have a common structure, and this helped me a lot! I'm sure you can ask your teachers for exemplars, if not you can find them online, there should be a few on the ib website too so just search 'IB ____ IA exemplars' and it should be easy to find.
Don't overwork yourself either. I know with your goal you'll have to work really hard for the grades and it can be easy to stop taking care of yourself so make sure you take good regular breaks, eat well and get sufficient exercise. Your mental and physical health can definitely affect your performance so you want to be in the best shape possible. If you find it hard to manage breaks I'd recommend the Pomodoro technique, which is scientifically proven to improve focus and performance. Theres usually 2 versions, 25 min study sessions with 5 min breaks or 50 min and 5 min break. I personally used the second one as my year worked a lot on our IAs so I did heavy chunks of work but it really really helped me overcome procrastination. If you can't set the timers yourself there are 'study with me' videos on youtube where you quite literally 'study' with someone on the screen and they do the timer for you. This is what I did and it was really useful since I work better if I'm in a group rather than alone.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending