The Student Room Group

2 new A-level subjects?

Hi I'm still deciding whether i should do psychology or biology for A-level (my other subjects are business and geography). I originally chose psychology but now I'm re-thinking it because if I do it then I'll be doing 2 new A-level subjects that I've never done before and I'm not sure if I'll be able to deal with that. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
You'll be okay with psychology however do consider your interest and career path before deciding! Side note: Bio is a facilitating subject but psych is not
Original post by Raayzx
You'll be okay with psychology however do consider your interest and career path before deciding! Side note: Bio is a facilitating subject but psych is not

The idea of faciliating subjects died years ago ...
It's not that uncommon to be starting subjects at A-level you haven't studied before (and again at degree level as well). The curriculum is designed so that it doesn't presuppose any knowledge; the only A-levels that do presuppose prior subject knowledge explicitly are science, maths, and language A-levels.
I'd recommend psychology. I've just finished year 13 and did psychology and business (both AQA). They complement each other really well due to areas of research methods in psychology appearing in market research for the marketing chapter in business, as well as both covering Maslow's hierarchy of needs and theories of motivation in business being slightly psychological. Also, if you're interested in doing an EPQ then many business areas, particularly marketing, can be linked to psychology. I also wouldn't worry about doing 2 subjects that you haven't done before as I also did sociology having not done psychology or sociology at GCSE and found that I really enjoyed both of them and teachers knew that they were new for most people so did more introduction lessons. Also, the GCSE really isn't needed for business as year one of A level is basically an extension of the GCSE and I know people who did the A level without the GCSE and were working at the same sort of grades as other people in the class who did do the GCSE
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have about either subject
I did both Psych and Bio for A-level, and psych was new to me too. As someone else commented, the curriculum is designed to be accessible to students who've yet to study the subject so there's nothing to worry about in that regard. Biology does however assume prior knowledge (science GCSE is a core so students would've studied it), The level of detail and knowledge for bio A level vs GCSE is quite a step up (I remember spending my first lesson not knowing what on earth she was talking about!) so it will feel like a new subject, similar to psychology. I that respect I think they are evenly matched. Either way, after a few months, you'll settle into your subjects and they won't feel so new to you.

Personally, I preferred Bio over Psych (its not Darren Brown type stuff) but I still refer to knowledge I gained from both in my life now. As for you, look into the course content and absolutely go with whatever subject you think you'd enjoy more and be more motivated to work for.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest