The Student Room Group

applying to pharmacy

hey everyone I wanted to ask does anyone know any unis that accept 2 ALEVELS in chemistry and biology and a CTEC (Cambridge technical Extended certificate) Applied science BC ik kings and Manchester does but I can't seem to find any others
Original post by hiddensmart
hey everyone I wanted to ask does anyone know any unis that accept 2 ALEVELS in chemistry and biology and a CTEC (Cambridge technical Extended certificate) Applied science BC ik kings and Manchester does but I can't seem to find any others

Although they don't mention CTECs specifically, it might be worth contacting the admissions team at University of Birmingham. Their MPharm Pharmacy page here says:

"BTEC Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry"

If they're happy with a BTEC plus a couple of A levels, the same might be true of a CTEC.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Although they don't mention CTECs specifically, it might be worth contacting the admissions team at University of Birmingham. Their MPharm Pharmacy page here says:

"BTEC Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in science related subject will be considered in addition to 2 A levels including Chemistry"

If they're happy with a BTEC plus a couple of A levels, the same might be true of a CTEC.

Thank you do you mind telling me which one is better, pharmacy or pharmacology
Thank you do you mind telling me which one is better, pharmacy or pharmacology

Neither.

If you want to become a Pharmacist, then a Pharmacy degree would be better, as it's a mandatory requirement to become a Pharmacist. Pharmacists often work within local communities and use their expert knowledge of medicines and health to make a positive difference to people’s lives and well-being.

If you're more interested in research into how drugs act, the search for new drugs, investigations into how they can best be used to treat disease, and their effects on the body, etc. then Pharmacology is better.
Reply 4
Neither.

If you want to become a Pharmacist, then a Pharmacy degree would be better, as it's a mandatory requirement to become a Pharmacist. Pharmacists often work within local communities and use their expert knowledge of medicines and health to make a positive difference to people’s lives and well-being.

If you're more interested in research into how drugs act, the search for new drugs, investigations into how they can best be used to treat disease, and their effects on the body, etc. then Pharmacology is better.

oh okay thank you I think I will be more interested in pharmacology however I found 3 unis that accept the subjects I'm doing but I need to look for 2 more I found Bristol, kings and Manchester is there a specific website that I can use instead of searching individual unis
oh okay thank you I think I will be more interested in pharmacology however I found 3 unis that accept the subjects I'm doing but I need to look for 2 more I found Bristol, kings and Manchester is there a specific website that I can use instead of searching individual unis

I don't know any sights which accurately filter based upon the A level subjects you're doing (and compare them which each course's requirements). I just tried https://www.whatuni.com/ (which has this feature) but it fell at the first hurdle. I asked it to search for Pharmacology courses which would accept Chemistry A*, Art and Design A*, and English Language A*. The first hit it came up with (Newcastle) would not accept that subject combination. I'm fairly sure that all it was doing was searching by grade requirements (despite asking for the subject in addition to the grade).

You're better just checking the subjects that accept manually, as you have been doing, I'm afraid. If you find a web site that allows you to accurately filter by subject, let me know. :smile:
Reply 6
I don't know any sights which accurately filter based upon the A level subjects you're doing (and compare them which each course's requirements). I just tried https://www.whatuni.com/ (which has this feature) but it fell at the first hurdle. I asked it to search for Pharmacology courses which would accept Chemistry A*, Art and Design A*, and English Language A*. The first hit it came up with (Newcastle) would not accept that subject combination. I'm fairly sure that all it was doing was searching by grade requirements (despite asking for the subject in addition to the grade).

You're better just checking the subjects that accept manually, as you have been doing, I'm afraid. If you find a web site that allows you to accurately filter by subject, let me know. :smile:

Thank you also I heard a pharmacology degree won't get you a stable career is that true?
Thank you also I heard a pharmacology degree won't get you a stable career is that true?

I'm not sure than any career comes with a guarantee of stability. I do get the impression, however, that being a Pharmacist is relatively stable, which would mean that following a career associated with Pharmacology would be less stable relative to Pharmacy. I don't know whether that means we could classify it as unstable in absolute terms. However, I am certainly no expert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending