The Student Room Group

How do I make sure that I get the apprenticeship?

So 13 days ago I went for an interview for a veterinary care assistant apprenticeship role at a vets, I think it went well due to them being impressed with my experience and were very positive.
In the interview they didn't mention anything about hours or wage.

So 6 days ago I went for the trail, they were insinuating that i got the role by saying that we will train you with sending off lab samples etc, which made me think I gained the positioned.

BUT, they just emailed me to say that they can't confirm the position yet due to waiting for another person to come in to do their trail, but have asked me to come in next week to work for three days.

And so i'm a bit worried now that this other person may be more qualified than me resulting in me not getting the role.

As to be honest when i went in for the trail I was unable to undertake most of the normal duties for a care assistant due to how hectic it was and had to follow/ help one of the head nurses.

I just want to have people's advice on what I can do to try and make sure I gain this position.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Alicehale6
So 13 days ago I went for an interview for a veterinary care assistant apprenticeship role at a vets, I think it went well due to them being impressed with my experience and were very positive.

So 6 days ago I went for the trail, they were insinuating that i got the role by saying that we will train you with sending off lab samples etc, which made me think I gained the positioned.

BUT, they just emailed me to say that they can't confirm the position yet due to waiting for another person to come in to do their trail, but have asked me to come in next week to work for three days.

And so i'm a bit worried now that this other person may be more qualified than me resulting in me not getting the role.

As to be honest when i went in for the trail I was unable to undertake most of the normal duties for a care assistant due to how hectic it was and had to follow/ help one of the head nurses.

I just want to have people's advice on what I can do to try and make sure I gain this position.

As a qualified VN rest assure you don't necessary need experience but it can help if you do have any.
If you did a better trail then obviously you maybe offered it but you said you weren't able to do much due to being beside a VN all throughout.
Can't see why they asked you along again next week for 3 days if they weren't interested in you !!! Perhaps you should ask why they asked you back without telling you if you were successful because they can turn round next week to you and say sorry you not got it after 3 days with them !!! Yes this can happen.

Skills and Qualities of Veterinary Assistants
You will need compassion, good communication skills, fine attention to detail, and empathy for animals and their owners. As a vet assistant you will interact with pet owners and work with veterinarians and technicians. You may find yourself in emergency situations where you will need a cool head.

You’ll tend to animals’ hygiene and diet, clean their cages, and administer post-op care. You’ll need patience and a commitment to good animal care. But you’ll also need to understand the technical side of vet assistant work.

Education and Training: How to Become a Veterinary Assistant
What education do you need to be a veterinary assistant? You’ll likely need a high school diploma or its equivalent to start on the path to your new career. To enhance your knowledge and vet assistant prospects, a veterinary assistant training certificate program can provide you with a high level of specialized knowledge and practical animal caretaker knowledge.

You’ll learn best practices in veterinary management, animal systems and diseases, preventative care, pharmacology, toxicology, and more. You will also need to understand whatever computers and programs are used in the front office of the veterinarian practice.

Work Experience at a Veterinary Hospital or Clinic
Look for a veterinarian assistant program that offers hands-on externships at a veterinary hospital or clinic to help you prepare for the workplace. It will give you real-life experience and could help you land a job when you’re ready to interview—employers prefer candidates with experience already under their belts.

An entry-level job at a clinic or shelter, or volunteer work, will also give you experience interacting with animals and their owners. With your high-level understanding of vet assistant work, some hands-on experiences, and a great animal-first attitude, you should be able to hit the ground running as a vet assistant.
Reply 2
Original post by Littleemma98
As a qualified VN rest assure you don't necessary need experience but it can help if you do have any.
If you did a better trail then obviously you maybe offered it but you said you weren't able to do much due to being beside a VN all throughout.
Can't see why they asked you along again next week for 3 days if they weren't interested in you !!! Perhaps you should ask why they asked you back without telling you if you were successful because they can turn round next week to you and say sorry you not got it after 3 days with them !!! Yes this can happen.

Skills and Qualities of Veterinary Assistants
You will need compassion, good communication skills, fine attention to detail, and empathy for animals and their owners. As a vet assistant you will interact with pet owners and work with veterinarians and technicians. You may find yourself in emergency situations where you will need a cool head.

You’ll tend to animals’ hygiene and diet, clean their cages, and administer post-op care. You’ll need patience and a commitment to good animal care. But you’ll also need to understand the technical side of vet assistant work.

Education and Training: How to Become a Veterinary Assistant
What education do you need to be a veterinary assistant? You’ll likely need a high school diploma or its equivalent to start on the path to your new career. To enhance your knowledge and vet assistant prospects, a veterinary assistant training certificate program can provide you with a high level of specialized knowledge and practical animal caretaker knowledge.

You’ll learn best practices in veterinary management, animal systems and diseases, preventative care, pharmacology, toxicology, and more. You will also need to understand whatever computers and programs are used in the front office of the veterinarian practice.

Work Experience at a Veterinary Hospital or Clinic
Look for a veterinarian assistant program that offers hands-on externships at a veterinary hospital or clinic to help you prepare for the workplace. It will give you real-life experience and could help you land a job when you’re ready to interview—employers prefer candidates with experience already under their belts.

An entry-level job at a clinic or shelter, or volunteer work, will also give you experience interacting with animals and their owners. With your high-level understanding of vet assistant work, some hands-on experiences, and a great animal-first attitude, you should be able to hit the ground running as a vet assistant.

They just called the three days for next week as 'causal work' and said it would be in my interest.
If I do this 'causal work' next week is it more likely that they will take me on since this other person still hasn't done their trail.
And the employer who did my interview said that she can't offer the position until the person completes her trail.
They just called the three days for next week as 'causal work' and said it would be in my interest.
If I do this 'causal work' next week is it more likely that they will take me on since this other person still hasn't done their trail.
And the employer who did my interview said that she can't offer the position until the person completes her trail.

Ta,
So the 3 days you been asked to do is only casual work - is it in your best interest or are they just using you to plug a gap till this other person completes there trail period !!! ( only trying to be honest on this ok as I would be expected to get offered job if I was in your position as seen things like happenening to people ), but as you said you struggled to do things with your trail due to being with the head VN. This is the point they will decide on who shown best in the trail period as do this other person have any more experience than you and as I said previously experience isn't necessary aa long you make a very good impression to give you the opportunity in getting offered the job over this other person.

To be honest with you about whether or not you get offered job is a big question for the practice manager to make, I would try and impress yourself next week with doing everything you asked hopping that this will give you the best opportunity in getting offered job with them, they should talk things over with you and give you feedback on the trail period and tell you if you are successful.

Only yourself knows how good / bad you done with your trail and did you think you done enough to be offered job....!!

I understand the practice wants to give another person opportunity to do there trail period and then compare both of you's but in another way why did this other person not yet done there trail period...!!!

From an employers perspective, there’s a lot behind the scenes to ensure equal opportunity, inclusion, and preventing discrimination. They can’t simply reject an applicant once an interview is offered without first offering them the opportunity in an interview. Ignoring the legal implications, put yourself in the other applicants shoes, it wouldn’t be fair if they didn’t give you the opportunity after promise of an interview/assessment.

Don’t worry, if they’re happy with you, and have expressed interest to the point you’ve detailed, they’ll likely hire you. They’ll likely not want to disappoint you after building up your hopes as they have and they’ll be aware of what they have and haven’t insinuated. Employers are human too :smile:

My advice, continue as if without knowledge of the other applicants and work with confidence and an eagerness to learn.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending