The Student Room Group

which course to apply for first

Hello,

I am looking to study nursing & midwifery. My goal was to do nursing within children and young people then move onto midwifery as a masters. I cant find any clarity if i can do it in this order or do i have to do adult nursing and then move onto midwifery and so forth ?

Many thanks
Original post by nursewannabe101
Hello,

I am looking to study nursing & midwifery. My goal was to do nursing within children and young people then move onto midwifery as a masters. I cant find any clarity if i can do it in this order or do i have to do adult nursing and then move onto midwifery and so forth ?

Many thanks

Hi

If you only want to do midwifery then just apply for midwifery degree course at university.

If you want to do adult nursing over 3 years and then work on hospital wards gaining a few years experience before you ask about doing the current 18/20 months shortened top-up midwifery degree course then do that. Majority of universities and hospital trusts are phrasing out the shortened course and want anyone who wants to do midwife do the whole 3 years degree course.

If you want to do midwifery then only apply for it.

Don't apply for both courses together because the universities might look at your application and think that you are not interested in one or the other.
Only apply for the one you really want to do okay.

You can't not do midwifery and then apply to do adult nursing.
You can do adult nursing / children nursing and then apply for the midwifery degree course but usually you need at least a few years ago behind you before you can apply for the midwifery course.

Personally apply for the midwifery degree course and just become a good midwife. You can still have opportunities for climbing the career ladder.

A dual registered adult nurse and midwife.
I was a experience adult nurse and I eventually applied to do midwifery degree.
Reply 2
Original post by nursewannabe101
Hello,

Many thanks

If you want to look after children, do children's nursing.
If you want to look after pregnant women, go for midwifery (or adult nursing then midwifery - but just be warned that midwifery topup courses from adult nursing are few and far between and getting fewer)
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi

If you only want to do midwifery then just apply for midwifery degree course at university.

If you want to do adult nursing over 3 years and then work on hospital wards gaining a few years experience before you ask about doing the current 18/20 months shortened top-up midwifery degree course then do that. Majority of universities and hospital trusts are phrasing out the shortened course and want anyone who wants to do midwife do the whole 3 years degree course.

If you want to do midwifery then only apply for it.

Don't apply for both courses together because the universities might look at your application and think that you are not interested in one or the other.
Only apply for the one you really want to do okay.

You can't not do midwifery and then apply to do adult nursing.
You can do adult nursing / children nursing and then apply for the midwifery degree course but usually you need at least a few years ago behind you before you can apply for the midwifery course.

Personally apply for the midwifery degree course and just become a good midwife. You can still have opportunities for climbing the career ladder.

A dual registered adult nurse and midwife.
I was a experience adult nurse and I eventually applied to do midwifery degree.

Hi,

thank you, this was very helpful
Original post by username6727374
Hi,

thank you, this was very helpful

Hi
You are welcome 🤗🤗🤗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending