The Student Room Group

Is it possible to write a personal statement that tailors for Midwifery and Adult Nur

I am currently applying to university - My career interests are both for Midwifery and Nursing (Adult). Both of which I am passionate about. UCAS will only allow one personal statement so I was hoping for any advice on whether its possible to tailor the two, please any tips on how to incorporate both into a winning statement would be greatly appreciated! Obviously there are similarities to both courses, however I'm worried both may turn me down for not specifically talking about each course (i.e. women for midwifery).
I'll be brutally honest.
Probably not since you'll have to constantly link to the course you're doing.
For example I was interested in computer science and law, weird combo I know but decided to stick to law.
I was happy I didn't decide to apply for two different courses as in my personal statement I had to constantly link it to my passion for law etc.

I assume in midwifery you'd have to talk about your specific passions for that and vice versa for adult nursing.
All the best though, if you're able to tailor it to both that would be fantastic but I doubt it's really possible.
Original post by kdoddx
I am currently applying to university - My career interests are both for Midwifery and Nursing (Adult). Both of which I am passionate about. UCAS will only allow one personal statement so I was hoping for any advice on whether its possible to tailor the two, please any tips on how to incorporate both into a winning statement would be greatly appreciated! Obviously there are similarities to both courses, however I'm worried both may turn me down for not specifically talking about each course (i.e. women for midwifery).

Hello @kdoddx

I hope you're well. I would advise you to get advice from your head of year or any members of the academic team at your sixth form / college. I am a 3rd year student midwife and there are some similiarities between adult nursing and midwifery, in terms of the NMC Code, professionalism and standards of care and them both being healthcare professions, however they are quite different so it would be best trying to make a decision. Potentially look at the roles & responsibilities for both and see which would be better suited for you. You could also look into courses which allow you to complete adult nursing first and then midwifery top up after? :smile:

If you are still keen on the two, I would separate your personal statement in two different kind of sections, with one bit showing your understanding and passion for adult nursing, and the other for midwifery. It would be worth stating you understand they are quite different courses however.. etc

Hope this helps
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3
no, you wont get on either if they think that you see their course as second best
Reply 4
Original post by kdoddx

I would suggest that you concentrate on one or the other not both.

If you want to be a adult nurse then solely concentrate your personal statement about why you want to be a adult nurse 🤔.

Similar goes to you about if you want to be a midwife then purely concentrate your personal statement about why you want to do midwifery.

If you put a combined personal statement in for both then they will look at it and think you are not interested in being one or the other or even both.

Midwifery is absolutely harder than adult nursing as you have a lot more information to learn about midwifery as remember that you are dealing with a minimum of two people lives at the same time with midwifery.

If you are wanting to do both adults and midwife degree then perhaps go and do your adult nursing degree first and foremost and when you qualify as a adult nurse get a few years experience behind you working as adult nurse and then consider doing the 18/20 months shortened conversion top-up degree for midwifery but you'll have to check that the university at the time of doing this is doing the shortened conversion courses as a lot of universities and hospital trust are planning to phrase this out and then all those who wish to do midwifery will therefore have to do the whole three years of the necessary degree so to avoid this you perhaps better applying for the midwifery degree course from the beginning now and if unsuccessful then consider doing the adult nursing route and hope you are able to do the shortened course later on.

Registered midwife
I’m in the same situation, i want to do computer science mostly but my a levels set me up to do law so I don’t know what to do.

Original post by Ashfaq Al Mahdi
I'll be brutally honest.
Probably not since you'll have to constantly link to the course you're doing.
For example I was interested in computer science and law, weird combo I know but decided to stick to law.
I was happy I didn't decide to apply for two different courses as in my personal statement I had to constantly link it to my passion for law etc.

I assume in midwifery you'd have to talk about your specific passions for that and vice versa for adult nursing.
All the best though, if you're able to tailor it to both that would be fantastic but I doubt it's really possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending