The Student Room Group

Bio, Chem & Psych A Levels for Medicine?

I’ve just received my GCSE results and I received 9s in both chemistry and biology (and a 7 in maths and an 8 in physics). For A Levels I am planning to take chemistry, biology and psychology and am hoping to go into medicine. I was wondering if these are good enough A Level choices to do that. I could take physics instead of psychology (I don’t really want to though!) but I can’t take maths since I only got a 7. I was also wondering if that 7 would come back to bite me in the butt during applications for medicine. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice? Thanks!
Yes, they are fine for all medical schools except Cambridge. Pretty sure a 7 in GCSE maths will meet all minimum GCSE requirements at all medical schools currently. Whether a 7 as part of your overall GCSE profile would be strong enough for the very GCSE heavy medical schools is hard to say, but there are plenty of medical schools that don't put much emphasis on GCSEs or don't score them at all outside of checking if you meet minimum requirements for maths and English language (and sometimes science).

For A-level subject queries you should read the first post on this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 which outlines the A-level entry criteria for all UK medical schools currently.

Regarding GCSE requirements see this article:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements which outlines all the requirements for 2020 entry. You may need to check to see if any have changed by the time you apply (which is quite possible - several changed how they score GCSEs this year and I believe those that did put less emphasis on them).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, they are fine for all medical schools except Cambridge.

Sorry if I am incorrect but did you mean Oxford? As Cambridge do not look at GCSEs.

Original post by calmingotter20
I’ve just received my GCSE results and I received 9s in both chemistry and biology (and a 7 in maths and an 8 in physics). For A Levels I am planning to take chemistry, biology and psychology and am hoping to go into medicine. I was wondering if these are good enough A Level choices to do that. I could take physics instead of psychology (I don’t really want to though!) but I can’t take maths since I only got a 7. I was also wondering if that 7 would come back to bite me in the butt during applications for medicine. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice? Thanks!

Could you please tell us what the rest of your GCSEs were?
Original post by SyedN
Sorry if I am incorrect but did you mean Oxford? As Cambridge do not look at GCSEs.

Cambridge requirements state that you need 3 A-levels out of maths, physics, chemistry or biology
Reply 4
As already mentioned by someone above, it would be great if you could post the rest of your gcse results. Unis don’t JUST look at score subjects for medicine, they’ll look at, say, your top 8 gcse subjects including the core English and maths usually, so it’s important if you’re considering applying to a uni that weighs gcses highly or has a certain minimum grade or score that you actually meet those requirements. Also, those A-Level subjects will be just fine for medicine (apart from Cambridge again as mentioned they want you to take physics or maths as the third A-Level). I did English language as my third and it did nothing to stop me getting into medicine this year. If you like psychology then it’s all the more likely you’re going to get a good grade in it, rather than taking physics because you feel pressured to choose it. Other than bio and chem, your third you should choose something you ENJOY. Saying that, if you’re considering applying to unis that require you to use the BMAT, you’ll have your work cut out for you trying to relearn both physics AND maths in preparation for the test, but that’s a far way off yet. Congratulations on your GCSE results btw, and if you have any other questions feel free to pm me 😄
Reply 5
Original post by hungrysalamander
Cambridge requirements state that you need 3 A-levels out of maths, physics, chemistry or biology

Oops my bad thought they were referring to GCSEs not being good for Cambridge. As you and artful_lounger have said, yup these A Levels are fine for every place except Cambridge.
Original post by TheLilip
As already mentioned by someone above, it would be great if you could post the rest of your gcse results. Unis don’t JUST look at score subjects for medicine, they’ll look at, say, your top 8 gcse subjects including the core English and maths usually, so it’s important if you’re considering applying to a uni that weighs gcses highly or has a certain minimum grade or score that you actually meet those requirements. Also, those A-Level subjects will be just fine for medicine (apart from Cambridge again as mentioned they want you to take physics or maths as the third A-Level). I did English language as my third and it did nothing to stop me getting into medicine this year. If you like psychology then it’s all the more likely you’re going to get a good grade in it, rather than taking physics because you feel pressured to choose it. Other than bio and chem, your third you should choose something you ENJOY. Saying that, if you’re considering applying to unis that require you to use the BMAT, you’ll have your work cut out for you trying to relearn both physics AND maths in preparation for the test, but that’s a far way off yet. Congratulations on your GCSE results btw, and if you have any other questions feel free to pm me 😄

hi, thanks for your reply. my results were:
english lit - 8
english language - 9
maths - 7
religious studies - 9
spanish - 7
geography - 8
astronomy - 8
physics - 8
chemistry - 9
biology - 9

Hi! I'm doing the exact same subjects [congrats on the brilliant results by the way!] and the universities that I'm applying to [Russel Group Universities] all except this to get into medecine. Their are a few exceptions of course, but you can look them up on the specific universities website :smile:
Hope that helped!
Original post by SyedN

english lit - 8
english language - 9
geography- 8
maths - 7
spanish - 7
religious studies - 9
astronomy - 8
physics - 8
biology - 9
chemistry - 9
thanks
Original post by ConfusedDemon
Hi! I'm doing the exact same subjects [congrats on the brilliant results by the way!] and the universities that I'm applying to [Russel Group Universities] all except this to get into medecine. Their are a few exceptions of course, but you can look them up on the specific universities website :smile:
Hope that helped!

it did help, thank you very much! good luck in your applications 🤞
Reply 10
english lit - 8
english language - 9
geography- 8
maths - 7
spanish - 7
religious studies - 9
astronomy - 8
physics - 8
biology - 9
chemistry - 9
thanks

These are very good, well done! You can apply to most Med schools including one or 2 GCSE heavy med schools such as Leeds! Once you have your UCAT/BMAT let us know on the Which Med School Should I Apply To thread and we'll be able to better advise you where to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending