The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

I was asked to be considered for another programme, what does this mean?

Hey guys! Has anyone been asked by the admission office if they would like to be considered for another programme? I was contacted by the lse admission office saying the department felt I was better suited to this another course and they would like to know if I wanted to be considered for that course by completing a new choice form and send it to the programme selectors for final consideration . I sent it on Friday and it’s been almost a week still no reply:frown: does anyone have similar experience and how did it turn out?
I think a lot of Unis do similar and I think some even do it automatically if they think there is a more suitable program/course. Is the other course they suggested something you would want?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
London universities frequently do this; advising uk passport holding applicants for very competitive and oversubscribed courses that they would otherwise have to decline to apply for alternative courses that are less popular & have plenty of places available.
Where the the applicants meet the entrance requirement and are almost certain to receive unconditional offers as long as their references are favourable.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
London universities frequently do this; advising uk passport holding applicants for very competitive and oversubscribed courses that they would otherwise have to decline to apply for alternative courses that are less popular & have plenty of places available.
Where the the applicants meet the entrance requirement and are almost certain to receive unconditional offers as long as their references are favourable.

I am actually an international student and unfortunately the course they recommended was a bit more expensive than the course I initially applied to...:frown: not sure if they want to make more money or they genuinely thought I was better suited to the other course.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
I think a lot of Unis do similar and I think some even do it automatically if they think there is a more suitable program/course. Is the other course they suggested something you would want?

The two courses are actually very similar and the funny thing is the course they recommended was the one I wanted to apply to but a bit more expensive than the other one. But I wouldn't mind because I really want to get into LSE...:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
The two courses are actually very similar and the funny thing is the course they recommended was the one I wanted to apply to but a bit more expensive than the other one. But I wouldn't mind because I really want to get into LSE...:frown:

Just tell them that. Tell them that X was and still is your preferred course, however, you could not afford it. There is a chance that they made the offer to those best equipped to do course X in order to balance up numbers, in which case they have the opportunity to keep you on the same fee schedule .... There's no harm in making your position clear to them.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Just tell them that. Tell them that X was and still is your preferred course, however, you could not afford it. There is a chance that they made the offer to those best equipped to do course X in order to balance up numbers, in which case they have the opportunity to keep you on the same fee schedule .... There's no harm in making your position clear to them.

I think I will once they made me an offer (hopefully), thanks! Now is impossible to communicate with them... the phone line is closed and never reply to any enquiries email, bet they just want to focus on processing applications... lol
Reply 7
Original post by RaviKiran30
Did they recommend you to MSc Finance or MSc Finance & Private Equity by any chance??

Nope, I applied to International Health Policy and they recommended me Global Health Policy, what is your situation? :smile:
Reply 8
I am an international student too but I wouldn't worry too much about the visa, on the lse website it says all applicants on the reserve list should hear back before the end of August! 4 weeks should be enough, considering there is express service.:smile: If not I am sure they will figure something out for you!
Original post by Anonymous
I think I will once they made me an offer (hopefully), thanks! Now is impossible to communicate with them... the phone line is closed and never reply to any enquiries email, bet they just want to focus on processing applications... lol

Don't wait! The point is that they might be more inclined to move you if they understand your preferences. Then you try and negotiate the fee. universities are shuffling people all around at the moment, to suit themselves, often with financial packages, this is your ideal opportunity to try and do the course you prefer, for the lesser fee. You need to set out for them what your preferred and possible options are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending