The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

Hi!

Im trying to begin writing my personal statement, and i was wondering if i can write about skills i will gain by doing the course and how they are employable, and will help me land a job in diverse fields etc etc?

do they want to hear about that or do they only want to hear about genuine passion for the course im applying for?

thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by AKAK12
Hi!

Im trying to begin writing my personal statement, and i was wondering if i can write about skills i will gain by doing the course and how they are employable, and will help me land a job in diverse fields etc etc?

do they want to hear about that or do they only want to hear about genuine passion for the course im applying for?

Hello @AKAK12,

Writing a personal statement is always a tough thing. When writing mine for university I focused more on my genuine passion for the subject, focusing on why that, along with any other skills you have gained through education or any extra-curricular activities, makes you a great candidate for that course. I would also recommend writing a line about what attracts you to the university, so the location or the department just so they get an idea you are here for the whole experience.

Since writing my personal statement, I have seen many staff members in my subject area saying that personal statements are a way to look at your character, rather than a checklist of lots of work experience in the field etc. They want you to select a degree in something you clearly enjoy and that you want to have a career in.

Adding a line or two about the skills as a motivation for wanting to do the course isn't a bad idea, but I would suggest a much lesser focus than your genuine passion. They will most likely know what skills you will gain so it may not be adding much in terms of making you stand out - which is one of the aims of the personal statement.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Lancaster University student ambassador Jake.
3rd year Ecology and Conservation student.
Original post by AKAK12
Hi!

Hi @AKAK12

I'd definitely agree with most of the points @Lancaster Student Ambassador posted. In a personal statement, it's really your chance to talk about yourself and your passions. We've got a really useful guide for writing your personal statement here - and there's also some useful videos on that page too - hopefully that should help :smile:

Thanks

Amy
The admissions tutors will know what you will gain from the course - you should focus on why you are interested in it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending