The Student Room Group

Exeter or Nottingham PGCE

I've been given offers for a maths Secondary PGCE. Which one is better? I think Exeter has a slightly better reputation, but there's hassle with having to move around to placement schools, which I'm not that keen on. Nottingham seems like a more straightforward placement situation, but I'm not too sure about the city. Any advice? Which uni is better? If you've done a PGCE at either unis I'd really welcome your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Which region do you want to work in after you finish the course? The southwest or the midlands? I'd have thought that would be the most straightforward way of approaching it. I wouldn't have really thought uni "reputation" makes so much difference for a PGCE, especially in a shortage subject like maths. @04MR17 may have some thoughts on that though?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Which region do you want to work in after you finish the course? The southwest or the midlands? I'd have thought that would be the most straightforward way of approaching it. I wouldn't have really thought uni "reputation" makes so much difference for a PGCE, especially in a shortage subject like maths. @04MR17 may have some thoughts on that though?

Neither tbh. I want to work in the Oxfordshire area ideally. I definitely do not want to stay in the midlands after my PGCE, but was just planning on doing the one year and then just applying myself to schools in another region. Do you think it'll be harder for me to get a job if it's outside the region I did my PGCE?
Original post by alicia2908
Neither tbh. I want to work in the Oxfordshire area ideally. I definitely do not want to stay in the midlands after my PGCE, but was just planning on doing the one year and then just applying myself to schools in another region. Do you think it'll be harder for me to get a job if it's outside the region I did my PGCE?

Not necessarily I think? But you won't have the benefit of any personal connections or experience with any of the local schools which might be nice to have...not even in terms of being successful in job applications but just to have experience of a school to know if it's going to be a good fit for you (and avoid going into what seems like a nice school but finding out it's quite poorly run).

I did my PGCE in one part of the country and got a job 150 miles away - it does not matter. I think the schools around Exeter would tend to be better than those around Nottingham - have you applied to or though of other places?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Not necessarily I think? But you won't have the benefit of any personal connections or experience with any of the local schools which might be nice to have...not even in terms of being successful in job applications but just to have experience of a school to know if it's going to be a good fit for you (and avoid going into what seems like a nice school but finding out it's quite poorly run).

oh... I figured you can probably tell during the interview and after walking around the school if it would be a good fit for you or not? Hmmm... oh dear, so given I don't really want to work in either SW or midlands, what factors become the most important then?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I did my PGCE in one part of the country and got a job 150 miles away - it does not matter. I think the schools around Exeter would tend to be better than those around Nottingham - have you applied to or though of other places?

Yeah I applied to 6 different providers. I got offers from Cornwall SCITT, OAKS SCITT, Pathfinders (school direct with the University of York), Dallam Teaching Alliance, Nottingham Uni and Exeter Uni. I liked York, but that one had an SKE condition which would be almost impossible to complete this late. So I ruled that one out. Just between Notts and Exeter now. Where did you do your PGCE? What was your experience like?
Yeah I applied to 6 different providers. I got offers from Cornwall SCITT, OAKS SCITT, Pathfinders (school direct with the University of York), Dallam Teaching Alliance, Nottingham Uni and Exeter Uni. I liked York, but that one had an SKE condition which would be almost impossible to complete this late. So I ruled that one out. Just between Notts and Exeter now. Where did you do your PGCE? What was your experience like?

I did mine at Oxford; we had a coach journey to one of the placements!
Reply 8
I did mine at Oxford; we had a coach journey to one of the placements

Would you recommend the Oxford PGCE? Did you enjoy your placement schools? Where did you move to after Oxford? I'm asking because I want to move to the Oxfordshire area after my PGCE
Would you recommend the Oxford PGCE? Did you enjoy your placement schools? Where did you move to after Oxford? I'm asking because I want to move to the Oxfordshire area after my PGCE

I moved to East Sussex but don't live there now.

Yes both my placement schoools were good but I was getting married so had a specific area for my first post.
I've been given offers for a maths Secondary PGCE. Which one is better? I think Exeter has a slightly better reputation, but there's hassle with having to move around to placement schools, which I'm not that keen on. Nottingham seems like a more straightforward placement situation, but I'm not too sure about the city. Any advice? Which uni is better? If you've done a PGCE at either unis I'd really welcome your thoughts.

There is no better reputation with teacher training really. Universities have to follow a programme set by the government, so the placement experience is the main thing you're looking for in an ITT institution. Do you drive?
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
There is no better reputation with teacher training really. Universities have to follow a programme set by the government, so the placement experience is the main thing you're looking for in an ITT institution. Do you drive?

Yup I do drive. I don't know if the reputation thing is true. I know that IoE is regarded highly and so is Oxbridge?
Yup I do drive. I don't know if the reputation thing is true. I know that IoE is regarded highly and so is Oxbridge?

It's true in that some institutions used to be Teacher Training colleges (or had TT colleges absorbed into them at some point) and so have a long-established network of ITT practice and school connections. But that has little to do with the reputation of the entire university - which is a point I wanted to stress for anyone else who might be reading this thread.

Ultimately if you are satisfied with what both institutions are offering, reputation doesn't mean a huge amount.

Exeter place students all over the south west- we have previously hosted Exeter trainees in my school which is in West Cornwall. I think the schools are highly variable, some will be "nicer" than Nottingham, but some will not be great for all sorts of reasons!

@alicia2908 I personally decided against the Exeter PGCE because of the hassle with placement schools. For most unis, both placements will be commutable from your uni town/city, but this really isn't the case with Exeter. It's also a huge hassle/expense for trainees. You could literally have one placement in Cornwall, and another in Bournemouth, and you're just expected to suck it up, and find accommodation in the week. You'd also need accommodation in Exeter (which is not a cheap city) for at least the first term.

Bear in mind as well, in many parts of Cornwall there's a huge shortage of places to rent full stop, so finding something for the duration of your placement may be very tricky.

If you're moving for the PGCE anyway, I think it's nice to have a support network of people in the area you're training in, so I'd prefer a uni where I wasn't being sent all over the shop, personally!

But if you really like the course at Exeter, it may be worth it to you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Exeter place students all over the south west- we have previously hosted Exeter trainees in my school which is in West Cornwall. I think the schools are highly variable, some will be "nicer" than Nottingham, but some will not be great for all sorts of reasons!

But if you really like the course at Exeter, it may be worth it to you.

I have firends who've taught in Nottingham - that's why I caution against it. There are dodgy areas as well ... at least your personal safety is better in the south-west.

I teach Maths - I wouldn't look at where soneone has trained when selecting to shortlist. However in Primary there are some 'better' ones that colleagues do look at.

[Cambridge does not have a great rep at the moment; some of the schools are less than supportive]
I have firends who've taught in Nottingham - that's why I caution against it. There are dodgy areas as well ... at least your personal safety is better in the south-west.

Yeah, I can imagine there are issues with Nottingham, too.

I just know a few people who've gone to Exeter expecting it to be all nice middle class schools and ended up placed in schools in the rougher parts of Plymouth, or in areas of real rural deprivation.

Like I say, despite really liking Exeter, I just couldn't see how I could make it work financially if I did end up with two very distant placements.
Yeah, I can imagine there are issues with Nottingham, too.

I just know a few people who've gone to Exeter expecting it to be all nice middle class schools and ended up placed in schools in the rougher parts of Plymouth, or in areas of real rural deprivation.

Like I say, despite really liking Exeter, I just couldn't see how I could make it work financially if I did end up with two very distant placements.

I did my PGCE at Oxford - sent to Swindon on a coach with early morning starts [and sometimes getting to the school late]. Exeter is not the only uni doing this.
I did my PGCE at Oxford - sent to Swindon on a coach with early morning starts [and sometimes getting to the school late]. Exeter is not the only uni doing this.

These days, you'd be expected to make your own way at most unis. I'm well aware that commutes of up to 90 minutes are seen as "normal".

But Exeter explicitly say that a lot of their placements are not commutable from Exeter, and you're expected to find temporary accommodation close by. They explicitly tell PGCE students not to bother finding somewhere to rent in Exeter for the year, too.

When I went to my interview, they said that you could have one placement in e.g. Falmouth (2 hours away and pray it's not the summer term), and the next in Bournemouth (about 3 hours in the other direction).

I'm sure they're not the only uni doing this, but like I say, I couldn't see a way to make it work *for me*. Obviously other people do, otherwise they wouldn't have any PGCE students :tongue: And obviously you might get lucky with commutes, too.
These days, you'd be expected to make your own way at most unis. I'm well aware that commutes of up to 90 minutes are seen as "normal".

I'm sure they're not the only uni doing this, but like I say, I couldn't see a way to make it work *for me*. Obviously other people do, otherwise they wouldn't have any PGCE students :tongue: And obviously you might get lucky with commutes, too.

Oxford never told us our placements would mean getting up at 5.30am for an early breakfast then 90 mins on a coach. At least Exeter were upfront with you! [Yes, I did ask but they weren't truthful]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending