The Student Room Group

Aston University A100 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Aston University.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Aston.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Aston University A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Aston A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560520

For general information click: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-mbchb

For entry requirements click: (as above)

Aston A100 2022 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7195672

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I really want to go to this medical school.
Will be my first choice if I get the offer.
Does Aston university accept transfer internally? Given that the initial course hasn't been completed yet? So like do a year of a course, then switching to medicine.
Reply 3
Please can someone explain the Aston selection process as the website does not seem to be working for me. It keeps saying I am unauthorized to access their website.

These are my credentials:

GCSE: 9999988876

Predicted A-levels: A*A*A*

EPQ: Predicted A*

UCAT: 2420 Band 2. (had technical issues so UCAT say they will provide an annotation)

Do you think that I will have a chance of being invited to an interview or will it be too risky due to my UCAT score?
Hello! I have seen that Aston gets a fairly lot of applications however not that many interviews are made in the process, does anyone know how Aston selects applicants for interview, considering their UCAT cut off score is low, and hardly anything about GCSEs are mentioned?
Original post by stevo000
Please can someone explain the Aston selection process as the website does not seem to be working for me. It keeps saying I am unauthorized to access their website.

These are my credentials:

GCSE: 9999988876

Predicted A-levels: A*A*A*

EPQ: Predicted A*

UCAT: 2420 Band 2. (had technical issues so UCAT say they will provide an annotation)

Do you think that I will have a chance of being invited to an interview or will it be too risky due to my UCAT score?

ur GCSEs are good enough, so you have a chance of getting an interview..i think
Original post by smallsockbigtoe
Hello! I have seen that Aston gets a fairly lot of applications however not that many interviews are made in the process, does anyone know how Aston selects applicants for interview, considering their UCAT cut off score is low, and hardly anything about GCSEs are mentioned?

GCSE is used heavily
Original post by sarahjanesmith
GCSE is used heavily

Haha just found a post from 2018 about GCSEs, thank you!
Reply 8
Hi, I am a graduate applying for A100 and have interest to apply for Aston.

I am home applicant.

My UCAT is 2740 a d band 2 SJT
VR 540, DM 580, QR 760 and AR 860.

Academic achievement:
SPM Malaysia high school qualification - 8As and 3Bs.
ALevel 4-As in chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics (2009)
BSc Biomed Sci was first class (2012 graduated)
PhD (2016 graduated).
It was therefore a long while ago since my university attainment. Not sure if there is any academic gap restriction in Aston? It does not clarify in their website.

My work experience :
Research technician in cardiovascular diseases (2016-2017).
Post-doct research fellow in gastrointestinal disorders (2017-2020).
Currently working as trainee healthcare scientist (full time) in Gastrointestinal physiology (hospital).

how likely I will get an interview with Aston a100 based on my application?
Reply 9
GCSE is used heavily

Hi, thanks for your reply. I saw on the 2021 thread that aston award points out of 24. Could you please explain how these points allocated of you are aware. For some reason I cant access the Aston website
Hi, thanks for your reply. I saw on the 2021 thread that aston award points out of 24. Could you please explain how these points allocated of you are aware. For some reason I cant access the Aston website

it depends on ur GCSE
5 GCSEs at grade B/6 or above
Subjects required: English Language, Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Double Science
GCSE’s not used for shortlisting beyond the minimum requirements

^this is what medic mind says..but I'm pretty score your gcses get scored, like an 8/9 is 4 points I think ( I know this was the case last yr)

maybe @GANFYD could help
Reply 11
it depends on ur GCSE
Subjects required: English Language, Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Double Science

^this is what medic mind says..but I'm pretty score your gcses get scored, like an 8/9 is 4 points I think ( I know this was the case last yr)

maybe @GANFYD @ecolier could help

How do they score?
Didn’t see in their page. Sorry if I miss them.
Reply 12
it depends on ur GCSE

maybe @GANFYD @ecolier could help

Yeah, Medic Mind are not reliable for med school choice.
Aston use GCSEs (and A levels if schieved) two thirds and UCAT one third
Reply 13
Original post by smallsockbigtoe

https://www.aston.ac.uk/sites/default/files/AMS%20Admissions%20Data%202020_21.pdf

Thanks for this. when they mean WP, are they only referring to those who went down the Douglas Ellis pathway?
does anyone know what the previous cut-offs were out of 24?
Reply 16
Thanks for this. when they mean WP, are they only referring to those who went down the Douglas Ellis pathway?

No idea, but I doubt it, it usually involves more than just specific pathways
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
No idea, but I doubt it, it usually involves more than just specific pathways

oh right, I'll contact them directly to ask, thanks for the help
Reply 18
I got into Aston medicine with very similar stats as you and I also got interviews from all my unis I applied to.
Reply 19
oh right, I'll contact them directly to ask, thanks for the help

If you give off WP flags, you will automatically be given a reduced offer if you’re successful in the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending