The Student Room Group

BTEC with Maths vs 3 A-Levels

I'm currently enrolled into two colleges, one that offering me the BTEC Level 3 Computing Extended Diploma, and the other is offering me the Computing and Maths A-Levels with Applied Business (A Level Business is not an option here).

My GCSE grades are fairly "eh"- an 8 in Computer Science with 6s and 5s in everything else, notably a 5 in Maths.

In preparation for sixth form, I am self-studying the AS syllabus for Edexcel Maths, and I am fairly confident in the first half of it I have learnt over summer. Since I have gotten a much higher grade in Computer Science than everything else, I'm wondering if I should continue self-studying Maths and take it as an independent candidate with BTEC Computing at college, or if I should go for the offer with the A-Levels in Maths and Computing.

Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bkin777
I'm currently enrolled into two colleges, one that offering me the BTEC Level 3 Computing Extended Diploma, and the other is offering me the Computing and Maths A-Levels with Applied Business (A Level Business is not an option here).

My GCSE grades are fairly "eh"- an 8 in Computer Science with 6s and 5s in everything else, notably a 5 in Maths.

In preparation for sixth form, I am self-studying the AS syllabus for Edexcel Maths, and I am fairly confident in the first half of it I have learnt over summer. Since I have gotten a much higher grade in Computer Science than everything else, I'm wondering if I should continue self-studying Maths and take it as an independent candidate with BTEC Computing at college, or if I should go for the offer with the A-Levels in Maths and Computing.

Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:

I have just completed the btec extended diploma RQF computing (1080) credits and got DDD in it

im off to royal holloway doing computer science.

With my grades, i was even able to apply to kings college, bath, and other top russel group unis (not all though)

It depends what you think is best for you, if you want to go the coursework route and be *kind of* limited in terms of applying for unis, then do the btec i did.

if you want all the opportunities you can get, i would go for a level.

the main difference is: getting AAA in a levels means ur better off going to top unis

getting DDD in btec means you're very likely to find good apprecticeships and firms to join and work at (as well as find a solid uni to go to)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ionize
I have just completed the btec extended diploma RQF computing (1080) credits and got DDD in it

im off to royal holloway doing computer science.

With my grades, i was even able to apply to kings college, bath, and other top russel group unis (not all though)

It depends what you think is best for you, if you want to go the coursework route and be *kind of* limited in terms of applying for unis, then do the btec i did.

if you want all the opportunities you can get, i would go for a level.

the main difference is: getting AAA in a levels means ur better off going to top unis

getting DDD in btec means you're very likely to find good apprecticeships and firms to join and work at (as well as find a solid uni to go to)

Oh, congratulations on getting into Royal Holloway!
Thanks so much for the response, how much enjoyment did you find yourself having doing the BTEC, and how often did you study outside of college? Again, thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest