The Student Room Group

2022 private candidate support group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tanyme
Hi,

So i am taking A level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths as a private candidate this Summer. I am learning all the content my self, and i procrastinate from time to time, which really takes me a lot longer to get things done. I feel a lot of anxiety, about failing, other people being better than me and more prepared, i am idealing aiming for A*AA or more. Last month i.e. January i did no work what so ever, and i am really behind now. I figuered that things would be alot easier if i connect with somebody who is also in the same situation, which would make the process easier, and we could revise and motivate each other from time to time. I would be really really glad if somebody contacts me. Thanks

Hi,

Im in the same position as you. Doing the same subjects ( not sure about the exam boards ) and I procrastinate to a very unhealthy standard. Don't be disheartened, Im sure you will do great. Keep on revising and push through the adversity. You have to make some major sacrifices for the next few months but it will be worth it on results day.
Around 1k or more
Reply 62
Original post by FARVEAZ
Hi,

Im in the same position as you. Doing the same subjects ( not sure about the exam boards ) and I procrastinate to a very unhealthy standard. Don't be disheartened, Im sure you will do great. Keep on revising and push through the adversity. You have to make some major sacrifices for the next few months but it will be worth it on results day.

I am so glad there is somebody else out there in the same position, would you wanna connect somehow, i feel like that would really be beneficial to the both of us? I wouldn't feel so alone in this? Thanks.
Hi! I'm in the exact same situation.

I'm 21 and bought the materials to study 3 A-Levels back in Sept 2020.

I work 45hrs a week so I am only able to study these qualifications for a couple of hours each evening and on weekends. As such, I'm pretty sure I'm very behind with my studies!

I have a fantastic university offer, but it is conditional on the basis I get BBC this Summer...Eek!

At present, I feel like I'm working around a D/E grade, so you're not the only one who is lacking confidence at the moment.

Try not to think about the exams too much yet, you've still got about 4 WHOLE months. Try to look at it from a different perspective - it's not life or death. If we don't get the grades, we try again next year! But take it one day at a time. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and whatever happens, happens.

We're all in the same boat! :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by WutheringHxights
Hi! I'm in the exact same situation.

I'm 21 and bought the materials to study 3 A-Levels back in Sept 2020.

I work 45hrs a week so I am only able to study these qualifications for a couple of hours each evening and on weekends. As such, I'm pretty sure I'm very behind with my studies!

I have a fantastic university offer, but it is conditional on the basis I get BBC this Summer...Eek!

At present, I feel like I'm working around a D/E grade, so you're not the only one who is lacking confidence at the moment.

Try not to think about the exams too much yet, you've still got about 4 WHOLE months. Try to look at it from a different perspective - it's not life or death. If we don't get the grades, we try again next year! But take it one day at a time. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and whatever happens, happens.

We're all in the same boat! :smile:

Hey, yes, i just feel so anxious, ive got no teacher and tutor and i cant afford one. So it kind of gets to me sometimes, and i feel like i am behind everybody else. And i tend to just zone out loads, does that happen to you?

Thanks a lot for the motivation tho! I wish you all the luck : )
Reply 65
Original post by FARVEAZ
Around 1k or more

About 3k
Hi I am a homeschooled year 10 student who wants to give their gcse early but I have unfortunately missed the deadline and my parents can’t afford to pay the extra fee. Can I still do them in November even if I haven’t done any exam to resit or do I have to wait until 2023 thank you.
Reply 67
Original post by Midnight786
Hi I am a homeschooled year 10 student who wants to give their gcse early but I have unfortunately missed the deadline and my parents can’t afford to pay the extra fee. Can I still do them in November even if I haven’t done any exam to resit or do I have to wait until 2023 thank you.

You have to wait until 2023. There have only been GCSE exams in the Autumn for all subjects because exams didn't happen in the Summer. In a normal year the only GCSE subjects available in the Autumn are Maths and English Language but there are only open to over 16s.
Original post by EOData
You have to wait until 2023. There have only been GCSE exams in the Autumn for all subjects because exams didn't happen in the Summer. In a normal year the only GCSE subjects available in the Autumn are Maths and English Language but there are only open to over 16s.

Thank you so much for your help
Reply 69
Original post by Midnight786
Thank you so much for your help

That answer only applies to England and GCSEs - make it clear if you are elsewhere and/or taking some IGCSEs (if so, with which exam board).
Hi everyone, does anyone know of affordable London exam centers to sit privately for Edexcel Chemistry? I am finding many through the Pearson website but it is insanely expensive, up to £300 per exam for many centers!
Reply 71
Have you tried Campbell Harris?

Try https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates/

You'll almost certainly be paying late fees now so I'm afraid that will be making things worse. Do you also need to take the practical endorsement?
Original post by Tanyme
Hi,

So i am taking A level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths as a private candidate this Summer. I am learning all the content my self, and i procrastinate from time to time, which really takes me a lot longer to get things done. I feel a lot of anxiety, about failing, other people being better than me and more prepared, i am idealing aiming for A*AA or more. Last month i.e. January i did no work what so ever, and i am really behind now. I figuered that things would be alot easier if i connect with somebody who is also in the same situation, which would make the process easier, and we could revise and motivate each other from time to time. I would be really really glad if somebody contacts me. Thanks

Hi, I'm doing the same subjects! Well I did my maths last year and I'm doing Chemistry and Biology this year to take the pressure off...revision is going well and I should have covered all the content in the next month, leaving 3 months of revision.

What exam board are you doing? I'm doing edexcel - also how are you doing the practicals for chem/bio? I've got a place on a practical course with a company in Liverpool but I have 0 idea what to expect. Sounds like there are a few of us in the same boat.
Reply 73
Original post by cabava
This is a thread for any A-level private candidates sitting their A levels in 2022!

Everyone introduce themselves and say what A levels they´re doing. I´ll start:

Hi, my name´s Helena and I´m doing Business Studies, Law and Psychology:smile:

Hello, my name's Naju and I'm doing Psychology, Biology, Mathematics and Computer Science.
I had appeared for my AS levels recently and got *****y grades, and now re-sitting for Mathematics and Biology. Any advice?

I've been told that I should consider dropping Psychology, and I wanted to know how tough Psychology A levels is, and how I should work my way around it.
:smile:

PS: will be sitting for my A levels in Oct/Nov.
Reply 74
Original post by Naju.
Hello, my name's Naju and I'm doing Psychology, Biology, Mathematics and Computer Science.
I had appeared for my AS levels recently and got *****y grades, and now re-sitting for Mathematics and Biology. Any advice?

I've been told that I should consider dropping Psychology, and I wanted to know how tough Psychology A levels is, and how I should work my way around it.
:smile:

PS: will be sitting for my A levels in Oct/Nov.

Are you a private candidate? I presume you're taking Cambridge International A levels - it's helpful to say this as they are fairly different to the A levels taken in the UK.
Hi If I have passed A level for two of my subjects ( Media
Hi Private Candidates.

Hope learning and revision are going well :smile:

Best wishes for the exams.
Remember you can't regret not giving your goals and dreams a shot if you try your absolute best :smile:
Hi, I completed two of my A levels ( Cambridge media & business studies ) last year in 2021. I flunked for A level English Lang ( AQA A level).
This year May 2022 I intend to complete Edexcel A level complete English language course as a private candidate.
Do you think universities will consider it as complete 3 A level grades or not?
Recommendation for online prep for A level English language resources and tuition centre would be appreciated.
Original post by TriplexA
Hi Private Candidates.

Hope learning and revision are going well :smile:

Best wishes for the exams.
Remember you can't regret not giving your goals and dreams a shot if you try your absolute best :smile:

I did my edexcel ial physics in jan 2022 and failed horribly and i'm gonna resit in may 2022. any tips?
Unfortunately not as I didn't do nor resit Physics A level :frown:

@Sinnoh may be able to help though.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest