The Student Room Group

School Uniform

Do you think school uniform should be a thing? I'm personally of two minds about it. On the one hand I think school uniform saps children of their ability to express themselves as individuals somewhat, but on the other I think the conformity and smartness inherent in them is quite fitting. If you wear school uniform you are the property of the school whilst you are there, or you could see it as being part of a family or membership.
Reply 1
one thing i now appreciate about school uniforms is that it decreases the relevance of social class within schools. since everyone is wearing the same thing there’s nobody showing off their wealth with designer brands or multitudes of outfits

this is nice as those with less money don’t feel left out or embarrassed
(mainly talking from experience since i never got any allowance as a child so couldn’t spend that much on clothes until i got a job when i was 16 lmao)

- also i’d stress so much about what to wear on own clothes days it would take me ages to decide what to wear so a positive of uniform is that i got more sleep and didn’t have to wake up early to pick an outfit

in favour for non uniform i wouldnt have had so many fashion no’s in college if i had the experience in highschool

another in favour of uniform ppl (talking from the experience of a girl haha) can still express themselves in uniforms through bags, accessories, hairstyles, skirt v pants, skirt length, socks v tights etc
Reply 2
Original post by k.b88
one thing i now appreciate about school uniforms is that it decreases the relevance of social class within schools. since everyone is wearing the same thing there’s nobody showing off their wealth with designer brands or multitudes of outfits

this is nice as those with less money don’t feel left out or embarrassed
(mainly talking from experience since i never got any allowance as a child so couldn’t spend that much on clothes until i got a job when i was 16 lmao)

- also i’d stress so much about what to wear on own clothes days it would take me ages to decide what to wear so a positive of uniform is that i got more sleep and didn’t have to wake up early to pick an outfit

in favour for non uniform i wouldnt have had so many fashion no’s in college if i had the experience in highschool

another in favour of uniform ppl (talking from the experience of a girl haha) can still express themselves in uniforms through bags, accessories, hairstyles, skirt v pants, skirt length, socks v tights etc

i should sleep but instead i’m typing whole essays on uniform vs no uniform for no reason lmao
Original post by k.b88
i should sleep but instead i’m typing whole essays on uniform vs no uniform for no reason lmao

Good debate to have though and very timely seeing as it's September when children return to school for a new academic year.
The whole point of uniform is to make everyone feel like one big group, regardless of social class

The issue is that uniform,especially secondary school uniform, can get quite expensive so those who omly just get by end up not being able to always have new uniform, which is much easier to spot if there's a hole or two somewhere since everyone else has the exact same clothes on

I'm in favour of uniform, its the non-uniform days that I don't understand as everyone puts on their best clothes due to not wearing them before in the year, and those who may not have designer clothes and such can feel left out
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere
The whole point of uniform is to make everyone feel like one big group, regardless of social class

The issue is that uniform,especially secondary school uniform, can get quite expensive so those who omly just get by end up not being able to always have new uniform, which is much easier to spot if there's a hole or two somewhere since everyone else has the exact same clothes on

I'm in favour of uniform, its the non-uniform days that I don't understand as everyone puts on their best clothes due to not wearing them before in the year, and those who may not have designer clothes and such can feel left out

i agree that uniform is quite expensive (my school's uniform cost £200 altogether and i'm sure this was after getting a few things second hand), but when you think about it, it would still be significantly cheaper than if we wore other clothes to school every day, as most ppl would feel ashamed to wear the same outfit more than once, and don't forget that some ppl wear designer
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Do you think school uniform should be a thing? I'm personally of two minds about it. On the one hand I think school uniform saps children of their ability to express themselves as individuals somewhat, but on the other I think the conformity and smartness inherent in them is quite fitting. If you wear school uniform you are the property of the school whilst you are there, or you could see it as being part of a family or membership.

I used to go to school in casual clothes from the age of 3-7, and then wore school uniform since then up until the age of 18.

Personally I would say I preferred wearing school uniform, because:
- It just looks smarter than casual clothes
- It makes the school feel like a more professional environment; you’re there to work not to lounge around
- It identifies you as a student of the school, given that on some occasions you might have students from other schools on your campus (sports match days, open days etc.)
- It makes you feel like “part of something bigger”, that you are a representative of, rather than purely an individual
- It saves you having to decide what to wear each day
- It removes the subjectivity involved in deciding whether what a student has worn that day is appropriate school wear or not.

I don’t really agree with the point that “it prevents you from expressing yourself”. I would instead say that it forces you to express yourself based on substance over style. The things you do, what you achieve and how you behave become more relevant than what clothes you happened to put on that morning or what your parents can afford - which is a good thing.

It also means you can do things like give some students special ties or badges for their blazer depending on whether they are a head boy/girl, prefect, sports team captain or participant, etc. So distinguishing features of your uniform have to be earned rather than just selected or bought.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JDINCINERATOR

I hated my school uniform (mainly because I hated my school) tie blazer shirt school trousers and black school shoes I wouldn't have minded but they were all man made non breathable almost plastic. They used it as a kind of control I remember in MY GCSE they said "your representing the school until you get home and take off the uniform" I took off everything that could identify me wit the school in the car. You also had to follow all these rules while in school uniform like you can't be in a group larger than 3 you can't go to Sainsbury's (it was very near the school) in uniform unless accompanied by your parents you can't go to the petrol station (i didn't obey those). You also couldn't smoke in it even if you were old enough I don't smoke so it wasn't an issue for me, I can see not smoking in school but when your outside of school ground it's shouldn't make a blind bit of difference(although it is a filthy habit). I din't feel any family or membership at school I felt us and them a lot of time or fear of bullying or hatred of certain teachers or other students.

Also there was a kind of turf war between the local schools (again I didn't take part in that). Really i hated school and everything to do with it (I loved collage and uni though). for me school uniform were clothes i put on to be bullied in although it dropped off bit in year 10 it was still there until I left actually kind of until I started my Btec at 18 (I screwed up my GCSE's so had to spend 4 year at collage to get to uni but I still got there so it all turned out ok in the end.)
Original post by jonathanemptage
I hated my school uniform (mainly because I hated my school) tie blazer shirt school trousers and black school shoes I wouldn't have minded but they were all man made non breathable almost plastic. They used it as a kind of control I remember in MY GCSE they said "your representing the school until you get home and take off the uniform" I took off everything that could identify me wit the school in the car. You also had to follow all these rules while in school uniform like you can't be in a group larger than 3 you can't go to Sainsbury's (it was very near the school) in uniform unless accompanied by your parents you can't go to the petrol station (i didn't obey those). You also couldn't smoke in it even if you were old enough I don't smoke so it wasn't an issue for me, I can see not smoking in school but when your outside of school ground it's shouldn't make a blind bit of difference(although it is a filthy habit). I din't feel any family or membership at school I felt us and them a lot of time or fear of bullying or hatred of certain teachers or other students.

Also there was a kind of turf war between the local schools (again I didn't take part in that). Really i hated school and everything to do with it (I loved collage and uni though). for me school uniform were clothes i put on to be bullied in although it dropped off bit in year 10 it was still there until I left actually kind of until I started my Btec at 18 (I screwed up my GCSE's so had to spend 4 year at collage to get to uni but I still got there so it all turned out ok in the end.)

I agree that the rules surrounding school uniform can be atrociously strict. When I started out in Year 7 I wore blue shoes but the powers that be expected students to wear black shoes-so had to get them resprayed. Forgetting any part of your PE kit was usually met with a detention-thankfully I never got one of those, but it shows just how rigid the rules are.
I am in favour providing it is comfortable, not too expensive (so mostly generic) and that it allows for trousers or skirts/kilts to be worn. I don't think there should be expensive blazers or other items that can only be got from one company.
Reply 10
Meh i think its a relatively good thing, it has its draw backs but provides a sense of belonging, in a manner of speaking and also helps those kids who dont have the money to wear flash clothes to school
The ties in school uniforms can do one though, i loathed those and will always hate them :lol:
Reply 11
Hated it as a kid, have since worked in a school without one which was great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending