The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamin
Just finished the registration and enrollment. For anyone doing History 1A: Scotland's Millennium and History 1B: Europe Rising. Did you see any options for seminar day/time when selecting your modules? Or am I the only one? I just figured they hadn't finalised the timetable yet but just wanted to check to be sure.

Also wondering if anyone has their meeting with their advisor of studies as early as I have? Monday 3rd September is the appointment date I received in the email! It's a good thing I don't live far away from Glasgow!

No, it was the same for me but I thought that it made sense since at the bottom it said "seminars weekly as when timetabled". Also, was Europe Rising already in the list of courses or did you have to search for it? It's just that I had to search for it and I was wondering if it was different for other people.

Has anyone else decided on their third subject yet? I'm thinking I might take CEES since the course looks good but I've not decided yet.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 5641
Original post by Darrenh800
No, it was the same for me but I thought that it made sense since at the bottom it said "seminars weekly as when timetabled". Also, was Europe Rising already in the list of courses or did you have to search for it? It's just that I had to search for it and I was wondering if it was different for other people.

Has anyone else decided on their third subject yet? I'm thinking I might take CEES since the course looks good but I've not decided yet.

It wasn't at first but sometime while I was looking at the optionals it was added in. What else did you take by the way? I'm actually really looking forward to the History 1B it sounds quite interesting.

edit: Just noticed the last bit of your post, I took Classics alongside my Archaeology/History.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Annie-Bananie
my adviser is not answering :frown:

Got a reply :smile:! Chief adviser says that the subject is rectifying the problem with the clash on mycampus so hopefully should be able to enroll in both language and culture soon x
Reply 5643

Can you memorise 4,000 words of text sprinkled with personal anecdotes from the lecturer about his holidays in Russia 3 times a week? Then go for CEES...
Admittedly it's actually really interesting as a subject but you have to work from the beginning to condense the notes and understand it, otherwise like me you'll end up bewildered and cramming in the last fortnight :tongue:
Original post by conway!
Can you memorise 4,000 words of text sprinkled with personal anecdotes from the lecturer about his holidays in Russia 3 times a week? Then go for CEES...
Admittedly it's actually really interesting as a subject but you have to work from the beginning to condense the notes and understand it, otherwise like me you'll end up bewildered and cramming in the last fortnight :tongue:

Thanks, I do have a habit of letting things build until the end of the course so it's good to know that I really have to be on the ball from the start. What does the course actually entail? I was interested by the name of the course but its actual description was quite lacking. Also, will I need to learn basic Russian or do you use translated texts?

Original post by Jamin
It wasn't at first but sometime while I was looking at the optionals it was added in. What else did you take by the way? I'm actually really looking forward to the History 1B it sounds quite interesting.

edit: Just noticed the last bit of your post, I took Classics alongside my Archaeology/History.

Yeah, I think I will enjoy semester two more than semester one. Then again, it might be more interesting doing Scottish history now because the last time I did it was first year! They sound like quite good choices - I was thinking about choosing Archaeology. I'm also doing Politics along with History and my other choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5645
Thanks, I do have a habit of letting things build until the end of the course so it's good to know that I really have to be on the ball from the start. What does the course actually entail? I was interested by the name of the course but its actual description was quite lacking. Also, will I need to learn basic Russian or do you use translated texts?

No need for Russian at all, the occasional word but it'll always be explained. I actually have a ton of notes from then that I never cleared off my laptop if you want to see them. I took it in 1st year so things might have changed though.
Original post by conway!
No need for Russian at all, the occasional word but it'll always be explained. I actually have a ton of notes from then that I never cleared off my laptop if you want to see them. I took it in 1st year so things might have changed though.

Ahh, that's good as it was my only worry. Yeah, that would be great as it would give me a feel for the course :smile:. Looking around the site, I don't think your stuff will be out of date because it seems that its the same lecturer every year!
Reply 5647
Ahh, that's good as it was my only worry. Yeah, that would be great as it would give me a feel for the course :smile:. Looking around the site, I don't think your stuff will be out of date because it seems that its the same lecturer every year!

The first one's my notes, I think the second one is how we got given it.

Week 3 lecture one

Spoiler

week 6 lecture 1

Spoiler

One thing I'd say is that Geoffrey(?) had a habit of assuming you knew something and a lot hinged on knowing that little thing, so you might need to do a bit of research yourself to realise what he's on about sometimes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by conway!
The first one's my notes, I think the second one is how we got given it.

Week 3 lecture one

Spoiler

week 6 lecture 1

Spoiler

One thing I'd say is that Geoffrey(?) had a habit of assuming you knew something and a lot hinged on knowing that little thing, so you might need to do a bit of research yourself to realise what he's on about sometimes.

Thank you! :smile: It does look very interesting! Oh okay, I'll remember that and yeah, you remembered his name right:biggrin:
Reply 5649
I just made my offer to get a place on history/theatre studies at Glasgow ( :biggrin: ), will they send me a massive pack of stuff about accommodation and signing up for courses through the post, or am I meant to call up ?? :smile:
Original post by rachel12793
Got a reply :smile:! Chief adviser says that the subject is rectifying the problem with the clash on mycampus so hopefully should be able to enroll in both language and culture soon x

great news, thank you so much Rachel xx
Original post by JJTEASE
I just made my offer to get a place on history/theatre studies at Glasgow ( :biggrin: ), will they send me a massive pack of stuff about accommodation and signing up for courses through the post, or am I meant to call up ?? :smile:

I think I've read they email you then post. Joint history here too - see you there and congrats.
Original post by JJTEASE

Congratulations! I believe that accommodation and course information will be given via e-mail. Though you'll also receive a letter in the post within the next week. I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything though!
Reply 5653
Congratulations! I believe that accommodation and course information will be given via e-mail. Though you'll also receive a letter in the post within the next week. I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything though!

Thanks, I didn't expect to get in at all :smile: Cool, I'll leave it a while and see if an email comes :smile:
Reply 5654
Original post by mmtdevlin
I think I've read they email you then post. Joint history here too - see you there and congrats.

Congrats to you too :smile: See you there!! :biggrin:
Original post by JJTEASE
Thanks, I didn't expect to get in at all :smile: Cool, I'll leave it a while and see if an email comes :smile:

Okay, btw mine never came until the day after results day
Original post by JJTEASE

Hey, when I met my offer, UCAS sent me their letter confirming my place and Glasgow Uni emailed me this week with My Campus log in details, which allow you to log on and enrol in course etc. and financial stuff I'm not sure about accommodation (I live in Glasgow so I'm staying at home) but I'm guessing you can do all that either on My Campus or through that email

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5657
Finally got enrolled for first year Biochemistry but now have to decide on my third subject. What did others here pick?

I'm kind of stumped. Nothing really jumps out as something I'm dying to do.
Reply 5658
Edit: finally managed to get my photo loaded
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5659
Original post by jms
Finally got enrolled for first year Biochemistry but now have to decide on my third subject. What did others here pick?

I'm kind of stumped. Nothing really jumps out as something I'm dying to do.

Hi there
I am also going to Glasgow this sept with biology. I have chosen psychology as my 3rd subject, seemed a bit familiar then the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending