The Student Room Group

University of Leeds A100 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Leeds A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Leeds.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Leeds A100 2022 entry discussion.

Leeds A100 2021 thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560716
For general information click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/med...-surgery-mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/med...mbchb#section3

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Posting to sub to this thread!
Reply 2
Original post by SyedN
Posting to sub to this thread!

Do we know whether Leeds will 8 or 9 GCSEs into scoring?
I will loose only 1 point if 8 GCSEs are considered but will loose 3 points if 9 GCSEs are considered
Reply 3
Hello everyone! I would like to seek advice from you all,
I am an international student who is currently studying Physiotherapy in the UK.
I am graduating next year and I would like to study medicine ( standard entry) in 2022, my UCAT is 2490 and SJ Band 3.
Do I have an interview chance if I apply to Leeds University?
Many thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by GG700
Hello everyone! I would like to seek advice from you all,
I am an international student who is currently studying Physiotherapy in the UK.
I am graduating next year and I would like to study medicine ( standard entry) in 2022, my UCAT is 2490 and SJ Band 3.
Do I have an interview chance if I apply to Leeds University?
Many thanks!

Leeds is a BMAT uni also it's very GCSE heavy, what are your GCSEs?
Hey guys do you know if leeds is accepting 3 A's at AS level as a substitute for full points at GCSE this year? pls let me know
Reply 6
Original post by OmarHam3d
Hey guys do you know if leeds is accepting 3 A's at AS level as a substitute for full points at GCSE this year? pls let me know

I know they have done that previously but I'm not too sure about this year. Your best bet would be to call up the admissions team!
What do we think the cut off will be for this admission cycle?
Wait so I sent an email to leeds and they said that they are reviewing how they weigh academics and the BMAT and that they will update us on how they will carry out the admission process by the time of their open day which is in the beginning of october. Does this mean that they may as well throw away their previous scoring system??
Reply 9
Original post by OmarHam3d
Wait so I sent an email to leeds and they said that they are reviewing how they weigh academics and the BMAT and that they will update us on how they will carry out the admission process by the time of their open day which is in the beginning of october. Does this mean that they may as well throw away their previous scoring system??

Who knows they might because they are a GCSE heavy score but with the massive grade inflation for A Level students who have already achieved their grades and high GCSEs for a lot of people they might lean much more heavily on BMAT.
Original post by SyedN
Who knows they might because they are a GCSE heavy score but with the massive grade inflation for A Level students who have already achieved their grades and high GCSEs for a lot of people they might lean much more heavily on BMAT.

When do you think they will confirm the selection process?
Original post by limitlesspuffy
When do you think they will confirm the selection process?

I emailed them about the process and this is what they said
Scoring

On receiving the application the initial shift looks at academic background and BMAT score. We add the marks for GCSE or AS (whichever is the higher of the 2) with the marks for predicted or actual grades at A Level to give a total of 32 points for exams.

GCSE = 9/8/A* = 3, 7/A = 2, 5/6/B = 1

The highest score for GCSEs is 24 points for 8 A*s (including English, Maths, and Double Science or Chemistry and Biology) or 24 points for 3 grade As at AS (including Chemistry or Biology).

The predicted grades (supplied by your school/college) are scored out of 8, with 8 points awarded for AAA. The standard offer for Leeds is AAA at A2 including chemistry or Biology with either Maths or Physics. A fourth AS-level would not be academically scored therefore the presence/lack of a fourth AS would not affect an application.

BMAT scores are ranked at Leeds. The top scoring 20% (only those who applied to Leeds) are given 5 points, with 1 point being given to the bottom 20%.

This score is added to the overall academic score. Applications are ranked again with the top 1000 being called for interview.

There are 8 stations for the MMI interviews with marks awarded for 3 attributes per station. Communication skills are marked on all stations. Points for each attribute range from 1 (poor) to 4 (excellent).

The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:

GCSE or AS 64.9%

A2 21.6%

BMAT 13.5%
Original post by sunflower1p
Scoring

On receiving the application the initial shift looks at academic background and BMAT score. We add the marks for GCSE or AS (whichever is the higher of the 2) with the marks for predicted or actual grades at A Level to give a total of 32 points for exams.

The highest score for GCSEs is 24 points for 8 A*s (including English, Maths, and Double Science or Chemistry and Biology) or 24 points for 3 grade As at AS (including Chemistry or Biology).

The predicted grades (supplied by your school/college) are scored out of 8, with 8 points awarded for AAA. The standard offer for Leeds is AAA at A2 including chemistry or Biology with either Maths or Physics. A fourth AS-level would not be academically scored therefore the presence/lack of a fourth AS would not affect an application.

BMAT scores are ranked at Leeds. The top scoring 20% (only those who applied to Leeds) are given 5 points, with 1 point being given to the bottom 20%.

This score is added to the overall academic score. Applications are ranked again with the top 1000 being called for interview.

There are 8 stations for the MMI interviews with marks awarded for 3 attributes per station. Communication skills are marked on all stations. Points for each attribute range from 1 (poor) to 4 (excellent).

GCSE or AS 64.9%

A2 21.6%

BMAT 13.5%

This is their old method of scoring - does this mean they will stick with it for this year?
Original post by sunflower1p
Scoring

GCSE or AS 64.9%

A2 21.6%

BMAT 13.5%

When did you email them, because they haven’t released anything yet on the application process for this year.I think they will though when they start their open days
@becausethenight and @GANFYD
1- do you know when Leeds is likely to release how they will do the medical admissions
2- do you know if ur as is AAA then will that be looked at instead of gcses
Reply 15
Original post by Hadriojon
@becausethenight and @GANFYD
1- do you know when Leeds is likely to release how they will do the medical admissions
2- do you know if ur as is AAA then will that be looked at instead of gcses

I would guess never, as they have only disclosed info in FOI requests previously.
It always used to be, but they may well have changed that wiht the phasing out of AS levels for most.
Call them and ask. they can only decline to answer! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
I would guess never, as they have only disclosed info in FOI requests previously.
It always used to be, but they may well have changed that wiht the phasing out of AS levels for most.
Call them and ask. they can only decline to answer! :smile:

After emailing the admission team about when I can get the admission process they said- “We expect it to be available to enquirers by the time the University’s online open days are held” which are held between 1-9 October. Do you think it’s worth waiting to find out then or is it a dead end.

I also sent them a request on what do they know about the as grades- https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_as_level_alternative_to#incoming-1877552. Do you think this would confirm that they still use AS instead of gcses
Reply 17
Original post by Hadriojon
After emailing the admission team about when I can get the admission process they said- “We expect it to be available to enquirers by the time the University’s online open days are held” which are held between 1-9 October. Do you think it’s worth waiting to find out then or is it a dead end.

I also sent them a request on what do they know about the as grades- https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_as_level_alternative_to#incoming-1877552. Do you think this would confirm that they still use AS instead of gcses

Certainly looks that way
Hi do you think that 5 5 3A on the BMAT will be all 5 points on BMAT Leeds scoring
By 5 5 3A I mean 5 on section 1
5 section 2
3A on writing task
Or if not how many points do you think it will be and what percentile
Original post by Anon9727
Hi do you think that 5 5 3A on the BMAT will be all 5 points on BMAT Leeds scoring
By 5 5 3A I mean 5 on section 1
5 section 2
3A on writing task
Or if not how many points do you think it will be and what percentile

We just don’t know, because they rank it based on who applies not national statistics. As it is a bit above average I would think you would get >2/3 points but there may well be enough people in the 5+ score band for it to not be full marks, as that is still 30-40% of test takers.

However your GCSEs are much more important in scoring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending