The Student Room Group

References for job application

Ok so I’m filling out a job application form and it says I need to provide details of two people (not related to me) who they can contact to give a reference. I’m not sure who to put down as my references, should it be my teachers, or could it be family friends? I’d rather use family friends because otherwise I’ll have to email my teachers asking for their address, home phone number and mobile number and that just feels a bit weird, whereas I already know that information for the family friends and I’d probably be more comfortable using them for the reference. I’m just not sure whether I’m supposed to use someone more official such as a teacher or if it doesn’t matter. It’s only a simple part time job working at the local garden centre so I don’t know how official these references need to be. Please help, I don’t know what I’m doing!
Hello
You can use family friends if it will help.
Original post by randomperson244
Ok so I’m filling out a job application form and it says I need to provide details of two people (not related to me) who they can contact to give a reference. I’m not sure who to put down as my references, should it be my teachers, or could it be family friends? I’d rather use family friends because otherwise I’ll have to email my teachers asking for their address, home phone number and mobile number and that just feels a bit weird, whereas I already know that information for the family friends and I’d probably be more comfortable using them for the reference. I’m just not sure whether I’m supposed to use someone more official such as a teacher or if it doesn’t matter. It’s only a simple part time job working at the local garden centre so I don’t know how official these references need to be. Please help, I don’t know what I’m doing!

The value in a reference is that a professional person is prepared to put their professional reputation on the line for the individual and say to another company that the individual is worth hiring.

In general, references are not acceptable from family and friends who are seen as generally having a stronger bond to supporting the individual than in putting their professional reputation on the line.

So generally, teachers, coaches, club leaders, faith leaders etc are acceptable as referees, but family and friends are not.
Reply 3

friends and family may be ok only as a general reference. Try to get at least 1 reference from a teacher or other professional, this will have more weight. Don't be afraid to ask for a reference to a teacher, it is perfectly normal. Just make sure that the teacher you choose has a really good opinion about you, because they may give her/him a call :h:

I'd deffo use a teacher as one of your references. You don't need their home contact details. Their schools email address, the school phone number etc is sufficient.
Have you ever attended and clubs/societies etc? If so use a leader/instructor/someone from there to give you one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending