The Student Room Group

Advice for applying for Educational Psychology Doctorate

Help!
UK based. I want to apply to do the Educational psychologist PHD. I have the necessary degrees to do so, I have a psychology BSc and a PGCE. At this point I have been a primary teacher for over 6 years and I am currently still working as one.
What else can I do to make my application stand out?
People do get on the course from being a teacher, but many end up getting jobs as assistant EPs too to make their application stronger. It's important to focus on what you learned and the skills you developed as a result of your job related to being an EP. It is very difficult to get shadowing experience, but many services do sessions on what the job is like too
Reply 2
I always thought I was made for this job since I was about 15. I've applied twice. The last time... which was quite a few years ago now - I managed to secure a glowing personal reference from Professor Sir Cary Cooper - which I thought would make my application pop. Absolutely nothing. I guess a lot really does depend on the competition of any particular intake. About the only other thing I could think of to try to make yourself as bullet proof as possible would be the recommendation from a current Ed Psych. Certainly talk to the Course Leaders of any of the institutions you feel are viable to try to get your name in circulation. Good luck with it. We all know it is an ultra-competitive course.
They probably remove names from applications to stop any potential biases happening. Course leaders may not have their contact details advertised online or may not respond to individual queries.

They will have things they are looking for in the application and interview process, so it is about ticking those boxes. However it is very competitive too
Reply 4
Original post by Interrobang
They probably remove names from applications to stop any potential biases happening. Course leaders may not have their contact details advertised online or may not respond to individual queries.

They will have things they are looking for in the application and interview process, so it is about ticking those boxes. However it is very competitive too

I'd doubtn this. It would be tricky when it comes to dealing with any publications you may have to your name. It would also increase the workload of whatever admin system is in place. Then of course they'd have to replace it with a Unique Reference which could be tied back with 100% guarantee. Then re-translated back to give relate to successful candidates. I tend to think these processes rely on laws of parsimony in order to run smoothly. Certainly when I've been involved in sifts from the other side of the academic fence - we never went to this extent. If someone came across a candidate they knew - they merely bowed out of dealing with them.
Original post by cpaw13
Help!
UK based. I want to apply to do the Educational psychologist PHD. I have the necessary degrees to do so, I have a psychology BSc and a PGCE. At this point I have been a primary teacher for over 6 years and I am currently still working as one.
What else can I do to make my application stand out?
I think individual personality and character is also quite an important part of 'standing out' so don't forget to include any experiences you have of working in a different country or culture, for example - any additional languages you speak or creative skills. I think these things are also important to get a good idea of who you are and what you will bring to the role.

Quick Reply

Latest