The Student Room Group

Applying to UK medicine without doing UCAT

I’m an IB year 2 student from HK, I made the decision to apply to medicine in UK only after the summers. So I didn’t have time to prepare or do my UCAT in summers. The last U-CAT test day in HK is like 2 days later, and I’m already overwhelmed with tests for my predicted grade. I found out it’s possible to apply with BMAT to some of the more competitive universities, BMAT is in November so it gives me enough time to prepare.
Has anyone taken the BMAT route before? I’m really struggling on the decision.

One extra question, if I do IB English A do I need to do IELTS to prove my English level? Cuz it kinda feels weird to pay to prove my English level.
Reply 1
Original post by Snowbearchoo
I’m an IB year 2 student from HK, I made the decision to apply to medicine in UK only after the summers. So I didn’t have time to prepare or do my UCAT in summers. The last U-CAT test day in HK is like 2 days later, and I’m already overwhelmed with tests for my predicted grade. I found out it’s possible to apply with BMAT to some of the more competitive universities, BMAT is in November so it gives me enough time to prepare.

One extra question, if I do IB English A do I need to do IELTS to prove my English level? Cuz it kinda feels weird to pay to prove my English level.

Yes you can just apply to BMAT universities but you will only be limited to 8 universities and will be applying blind as you will not know your score when you apply for the October 2021 Deadline.

You can find out everything there is to know about the BMAT on the BMAT Wiki below:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/medicine/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bmat

I have done the BMAT so let me know if you've got anymore questions!

Also I believe you do, it is a requirement for all international students regardless of if they've done an English IB or not. See below regarding the IELTS.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SyedN
Yes you can just apply to BMAT universities but you will only be limited to 8 universities and will be applying blind as you will not know your score when you apply for the October 2021 Deadline.

You can find out everything there is to know about the BMAT on the BMAT Wiki below:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/medicine/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bmat

I have done the BMAT so let me know if you've got anymore questions!

Also I believe you do, it is a requirement for all international students regardless of if they've done an English IB or not.

Was the language of your education English? From age 14/15 onwards? If so, you shouldn’t have to do the IELTS or equivalent.
Reply 3
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
Was the language of your education English? From age 14/15 onwards? If so, you shouldn’t have to do the IELTS or equivalent.

Thank you for the correction, I did not know that!
Original post by SyedN
Thank you for the correction, I did not know that!

To be fair I’m an IELTS tutor occasionally, in addition to being a speech therapist so I know it! I know people who’ve been through the UK education system with EAL and they’ve asked me the same question. With them it’s usually simple but the ones who’ve had more of a patchwork education it’s sometimes a bit more complicated, especially when admissions officers don’t actually know the requirements as they should.
@SyedN But as long as I apply to BMAT, even though I would be doing it after UCAS deadline. I would be able to choose the 6 (excluding Oxbridge) universities, right?
Have u done both U-CAT and BMAT or only BMAT?
@SyedN But as long as I apply to BMAT, even though I would be doing it after UCAS deadline. I would be able to choose the 6 (excluding Oxbridge) universities, right?

5. Including one of Oxford or Cambridge. And most people do a mix of the two types.
Reply 7

@Turning_A_Corner answered the first part of your questions.

I have done both UCAT (back when it was called UKCAT) and BMAT

It should be fine to just do the BMAT but you gotta ace it!! You still have a wide range of med schools to choose from: oxbridge, imperial, leeds, brighton and sussex, UCL, Lancaster,ect... https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/bmat/bmat-universities/
5. Including one of Oxford or Cambridge. And most people do a mix of the two types.

Keele is BMAT for international students.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Keele is BMAT for international students.

Good to know but I don’t know why you’re telling me that. I was referring to the maximum number of choices a person can apply to through UCAS not the number of BMAT schools. It does occur to me, though, that international students might be able to apply for more.
Good to know but I don’t know why you’re telling me that. I was referring to the maximum number of choices a person can apply to through UCAS not the number of BMAT schools. It does occur to me, though, that international students might be able to apply for more.

Sorry I was slightly confised by your comment as 7-2=5 which is also the number of BMAT universities for home students excluding oxbridge. op can apply to 4 medical schools and one other course as their 5th option.
@Turning_A_Corner UCAS is 5 choices, right? Like would people generally give Oxbridge a go? (Like especially in my case I don’t even know my BMAT score yet) Kinda feels too ambitious and risky to fill 1 of the 5 choices like that
Reply 13
@Turning_A_Corner UCAS is 5 choices, right? Like would people generally give Oxbridge a go? (Like especially in my case I don’t even know my BMAT score yet) Kinda feels too ambitious and risky to fill 1 of the 5 choices like that

If you're applying for medicine only 4 of those 5 choices can be medicine.

With Oxbridge it depends, for Oxford you will need loads of A*s at GCSEs (their mean average for last year was 10.8 A*s) and a good BMAT score. Cambridge on the other hand do not look at GCSEs but have the highest A Level requirements of A*A*A.
I’m being thick! I meant 4.
@Turning_A_Corner
U have also mentioned international students can apply to more, how is this the case if we can only apply through UCAS?
@Turning_A_Corner
U have also mentioned international students can apply to more, how is this the case if we can only apply through UCAS?

Because some courses allow international applicants to apply directly to the university and not through UCAS. Not sure if medicine is among them but if not, then that doesn’t apply. I think it’s probably worth ignoring me on this one. If a university says apply through UCAS, then you apply through them, end of.
Because some courses allow international applicants to apply directly to the university and not through UCAS. Not sure if medicine is among them but if not, then that doesn’t apply. I think it’s probably worth ignoring me on this one. If a university says apply through UCAS, then you apply through them, end of.

I think international applicants still have to apply through UCAS.
Here's an extract from Leeds:
"International students apply through UCAS in the same way as UK/EU students"
Here's Keele:
"All applications must be submitted via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)."
I'm assuming that it is the same across all medical schools although other BMAT universities haven't specified whether you can apply directly but I've never seen international students apply directly to medical schools.
Reply 18
Original post by hungrysalamander
I think international applicants still have to apply through UCAS.
Here's an extract from Leeds:
"International students apply through UCAS in the same way as UK/EU students"
Here's Keele:
"All applications must be submitted via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)."
I'm assuming that it is the same across all medical schools although other BMAT universities haven't specified whether you can apply directly but I've never seen international students apply directly to medical schools.

Buckingham, UCLan and presumably Brunel accept applications outside of UCAS for Internationals.
They also do not requre UCAT for 2022 (though Brunel may introduce for 2023, apparently)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending