The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Life at Sheffield Hallam

Hi. I will be moving from Ireland to Sheffield Hallam University for a 2 year postgraduate masters programme starting in January 2022. The masters will be on the collegiate campus. Does anyone have any recommendations about housing or just general information/advice that could be useful. Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I will be moving from Ireland to Sheffield Hallam University for a 2 year postgraduate masters programme starting in January 2022. The masters will be on the collegiate campus. Does anyone have any recommendations about housing or just general information/advice that could be useful. Thank you

What course will you be studying
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Hey! I'm starting an Occupational Therapy postgrad at the same time :smile: I'm going up to Sheffield to look at some accomodation next week so I can tell you my initial thoughts if you want? Just a warning that I'll only really look at accommodation that has car parking available.
Hoping someone who is already a student joins this thread too with some advice!
Reply 3
Hey! I'm starting an Occupational Therapy postgrad at the same time :smile: I'm going up to Sheffield to look at some accomodation next week so I can tell you my initial thoughts if you want? Just a warning that I'll only really look at accommodation that has car parking available.

Oh brilliant. I need car parking too. That would be great if you could let me know. Thanks a mil
I'm up here now and so far I've checked these places out:
Sheffield 3 accomodation
Solly Houses at Central Place (Student Roost)
Brass Founders (Unite Students)
Liv Student Accomodation (that was the accomodation tour that the student ambassador at SHU took us too)
St Silas Apartments - flats inside a church. This is apparently unlikely to be available for January but they said someone may have left and to call around December .
4 porterbrook apartments on Broomhall Street. This is also unlikely to be available for January but they said similar about calling in December.

The last 3 are the closest to collegiate (between 9-13 minute walk to the heart of the campus, even shorter to Robert Winston building). However, I'm leaning towards Sheffield 3.

Liv Student Accom is nice, but only one flat of the whole building was postgrads. If sharing with undergrads/ having a studio is what you want, then this could be a really good option for you! Parking wise, the council is apparently going to sort out car parking next door, but currently the students rent out parking at the nearby Waitrose for £60 a month. They said that you have to book directly with Liv Students as on SHU's website it says there's no availability. In terms of the levels of "all-inclusive", Liv Student is the closest - you get breakfast free, and there's a gym onsite. You do have to pay for using the laundry room though -£2 for washing machine, £1 for dryer.

Brass Founders is also really nice, but there aren't any flats for postgrads.
Solly Houses is okay, and there is on street parking and inside the gates for the houses, there is 1 parking space allocated per house which you could request. For me there isn't enough storage, but if you're travelling light, it could be another option.

I'm leaning towards Sheffield 3. It's annoyingly the furthest walk from collegiate campus (30 minutes), and the parking spaces within the accommodation have been taken. However I had a walk around the accommodation and there's plenty of on-street parking. Researched on Sheffield council's website and it would cost £46.80 for the year for a parking permit for the roads surrounding the building. I'll probably call the council to double check that before making a final decision. I looked at both the studio and ensuite - silver and there's a good deal of space in the room. The laundry room costs £3.20 per wash and £1.70 to dry.

I'm going to check out Gatecrasher apartments and Charlotte court and get back to you. I will probably apply for charlotte court regardless as another option at the very least.
Hope that (very wordy message) helps!
Hey,

Some very useful information above. If you're also looking for something in the private sector (not university-managed) you can use https://www.shustudenthousing.co.uk/Accommodation to search for accommodation across the city, some of which will be close to Collegiate, some will be much further out.

There are many ways to find student accommodation. You could make enquiries at local lettings agents or search online. We recommend that you use Studentpad to search for houses, flats and rooms. Accommodation Service manages and maintains Studentpad to list available properties in and around Sheffield.

You can search Studentpad by:

type of accommodation

contract type

living arrangements

number of bedrooms

price of rent

date property is available

You can also meet potential housemates through the Studentpad message board.

Stacey
Official Sheffield Hallam rep

Hello, I’m starting occupational therapy masters in January too. I already live in Sheffield so let me know if you need any advice on anything. Would be lovely to chat to people starting the course before jan
Reply 7

Hi! I'm also starting this course in January and will be moving to Sheffield! I have been offered student halls: The Trigon and Charlotte Court but I'm stuck because I also want to look for private sector accom! Have you found anything?:smile:
Original post by idksu
Hi! I'm also starting this course in January and will be moving to Sheffield! I have been offered student halls: The Trigon and Charlotte Court but I'm stuck because I also want to look for private sector accom! Have you found anything?:smile:

Hi, I already live in Sheffield so I won’t be looking at halls sorry
Original post by idksu

Hi, If you're looking for private sector accommodation, https://www.shustudenthousing.co.uk/Accommodation is useful for taking a look at our private housing listings. :smile: Studentpad is also a good place to search. Hope this helps!

Emily,
Official Sheffield Hallam Rep
Reply 10
Original post by idksu

I'll come off posting anonymously- nice to see fellow OT students on here! :h: sorry I didn't reply sooner- didn't get an email notification.

I've been offered Charlotte court too, and accommodation services told me my flat is all postgrads /mature students which is good. My issue is the small room size as I've gotten used to spacious rooms! After the pre-induction meeting, I'm debating sticking with Charlotte Court and then if I don't do well with the small room, then I have time to move into a studio (potentially in Sheffield 3) in the August holiday we have.
Original post by Jess223
I'll come off posting anonymously- nice to see fellow OT students on here! :h: sorry I didn't reply sooner- didn't get an email notification.

I've been offered Charlotte court too, and accommodation services told me my flat is all postgrads /mature students which is good. My issue is the small room size as I've gotten used to spacious rooms! After the pre-induction meeting, I'm debating sticking with Charlotte Court and then if I don't do well with the small room, then I have time to move into a studio (potentially in Sheffield 3) in the August holiday we have.

Ah my partner stayed in Charlotte court during his degree. If I remember rightly there’s storage underage the bed I think

We have a Facebook page called Sheffield Hallam occupational therapy masters starting jan 2022 if you’d like to join to meet more people
Ah my partner stayed in Charlotte court during his degree. If I remember rightly there’s storage underage the bed I think

We have a Facebook page called Sheffield Hallam occupational therapy masters starting jan 2022 if you’d like to join to meet more people

@Jess223 @idksu Hi! I stayed in Charlotte court during my first year and the rooms are actually quite large! It was recently refurbished a few years ago, all the rooms have double beds as well as en-suite bathrooms, and an open plan living room/kitchen with a TV. There is room under beds for storage purposes and your room will also have a desk and shelves on the wall. If I am remembering correctly, there are larger rooms available as well at charlotte court but these are limited so if you need a larger room I advise speaking to the Hallam accommodation team at 0114 225 5555.
I hope this helps, and welcome to Hallam! <3

- Rosie, student rep

Based on personal experience don't book with Unite Student accommodation wise. If you at Colliegiate campus there's a brilliant weekly allotment group on Friday afternoons, there is no real SU at Hallam (that's a whole other story) but the SU at the Uni Of Sheffield has some brilliant societies who welcome members from Hallam, also check out the karaoke at Bar One :wink:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi. I actually have booked with unite student in Westhill hall. I’m moving in next week. Can I ask why you would advise against it please? Thanks
Hi. I actually have booked with unite student in Westhill hall. I’m moving in next week. Can I ask why you would advise against it please? Thanks

Staff entering rooms without any prior notice for any reason and none (go on twitter and type "@unite_student privacy" or "@unite_student maintenance" for some examples), locks not working on doors, not carrying out repairs and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending