The Student Room Group

I’m not sure whether to do maths for a level

I’ve decided I want to do geography, biology and economics for a level but I’m not sure if I should do maths as my fourth option. I don’t know what I want to study in the future I was thinking maybe a lawyer but I want to keep my options open. Is it necessary for me to study maths?
There are no requirements in terms of A levels for studying law at university, maths is a good one to have but far from necessary. if anything English or history would be considered more 'essential'
Original post by student123un
I’ve decided I want to do geography, biology and economics for a level but I’m not sure if I should do maths as my fourth option. I don’t know what I want to study in the future I was thinking maybe a lawyer but I want to keep my options open. Is it necessary for me to study maths?

Hi @student123un

Great A-Level choices so far. As user3000- rightly pointed out there is no formal requirement to study maths to do law at University.

If anything I would advise going back to the subjects you enjoy. Bear in mind that you will likely be dropping one of the subjects when it comes to moving into your second year of A-Levels so I think a good starting point is to consider what modules you enjoy and that you are good at. There really is no right or wrong answer, and the three subjects you have chosen are strong.

I know it seems along way off considering you are just picking your A-Level’s, but if you have any questions about studying law at undergraduate or postgraduate level, please do let me know!

All the best with your A-Levels!

James

ULaw Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest