The Student Room Group

In a world where science now gets ignored

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Napp
Is there a point you're trying to make here sorry?

If you missed the point in response to your statement, then I’m sorry for you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Megacent
1. For me, probably around 3 years since the first people started getting jabs. So by October 2023 assuming there are no side effects starting to become apparent in the population, I'll look at booking my first dose.

What are you expecting to become known by October 2023 that isn't already known?

2. What exactly is required to end it? The government and the experts are always too vague about that. We were first told it was just going to be 3 weeks. We followed the rules but the restrictions got extended. We were then told we could go back to normal once the vulnerable were vaccinated, but again they moved the goalposts and kept restrictions in place until July 19th. We're now being threatened with more restrictions over winter and Susan Michie says she wants restrictions to go on forever. I don't care if I catch covid or not, the only appeal the vaccine has for me is if it will definitely allow me to return completely to normal with no further threat of restrictions in future. So before I consider getting jabbed, I need to know they won't move the goalposts again. I need to know exactly what specific criteria will be enough for these scientists to say that the pandemic is over.

When people are comfortable enough to resume their day-to-day lives as they did pre-covid. But if hospitals are filling up and people are worried about not getting treatment if they require, they're more likely to call on the government to implement restrictions.

3. Do we know how many people have actually died because of covid, rather than just dying of unrelated causes when they were infected?

Almost everyone who dies with covid died because of it. The within 28 days of a test actually undercounts the true death toll by a small amount. We know this because excess deaths are also tracked, and match up extremely well with covid spikes.

4. How do you know there are unlikely to be any long term safety effects of the vaccine? It's a complete unknown, just like possible long term side effects of the vaccine.

It's not an unknown - billions of doses have been given out by now. The first people to receive the vaccines would have received them over a year ago now. The history of vaccines suggests that any negative side effects are likely to occur within a short period of taking the vaccine.

5. I'd consider the JCVI experts, and they specifically opposed vaccinating children but were overruled by Comical Chris.

The JCVI did not oppose vaccinating children and nowhere did they say they were. Their assessment concluded that, in terms of health benefits alone, vaccines for children only had a marginal benefit. They then said that the CMOs, who take a wider may, may be able to provide a recommendations. They did, that 12-15s should be able to receive the vaccines. Given that the JCVI's assessment concluded that there is a benefit in children in this age group being vaccinated I don't see any argument against making it available to them.

Most people who are wary of the covid jab aren't actually opposed to vaccines in general. I've had various vaccines when I was younger and I trust them. Something just feels weird about this one though. It has been developed far quicker than any other vaccine I'm aware of, and there is intense pressure and coercion to get it. The scientists always seem quick to shout down and ridicule anyone who raises concerns (Nicky Minaj) and that makes me more skeptical of the jab. Why are the experts so desperate for me not to hear peoples concerns? Is there something to hide?

The concerns raised by Nicky Minaj were not serious or credible. There is a balance: people with genuine concerns must have those listened to and addressed; however, ridiculous nonsense must be tackled because it can ultimately lead to hospitalisations and deaths. Swollen testicles and impotence are in the later category. Even the Trinidad health authorities confirmed that no such thing had occurred.
What are you expecting to become known by October 2023 that isn't already known?

By then it should become more clear whether there is any long term effects. Sometimes everything can seem ok in the short term but later on we find out it isn't. For example, footballers constantly heading a football might look and seem fine in the short term but end up with dementia as a result of that which only becomes apparent years later. As for why I specifically said 3 years and not 4, or 5, or even 10, well I admit it's a bit arbitrary. But ultimately you need to draw a line somewhere otherwise you could end up refusing the vaccine forever on the basis of there might be a side effect that only becomes apparent in yet another year. For me 3 years seems like a fair compromise between taking time check for any long term side effects, and not putting it off forever.

The concerns raised by Nicky Minaj were not serious or credible

Maybe not to you, but if she says she was concerned about those things then I think she was absolutely right to raise those concerns. If Comical Chris wants to encourage vaccine uptake, he shouldn't ridicule and attack people for raising concerns, no matter how daft he personally thinks those concerns are. Not everyone has the same in depth understanding of medicine as him, so what seems like a silly concern to him might be a very real and valid worry for someone else. Treat people with respect.
As for hospitals filling up - If you remember at the start of this, we were told the NHS just needed 3 weeks to flatten the curve. The understanding was that they couldn't cope with covid spreading unchecked right away, but they would use those 3 weeks to prepare and get themselves into a position where they could. cope with that and we would then lift the restrictions. They've had far more than 3 weeks, so why on earth are they saying there is still a risk of being overwhelmed? Did they not bother to prepare? Are they lying about being overwhelmed now? Or are they telling the truth and they were lying when they said they just needed 3 weeks?a
Original post by Fruli
I have zero admiration for those who rely on big pharma medication to live. They also are very unhealthy and look unhealthy.

It's almost like many people dont choose to need to be on medication to survive.

Congratulations on not having a chronic illness or disability, please collect your self congratulation from a local shop near you.
By then it should become more clear whether there is any long term effects. Sometimes everything can seem ok in the short term but later on we find out it isn't. For example, footballers constantly heading a football might look and seem fine in the short term but end up with dementia as a result of that which only becomes apparent years later. As for why I specifically said 3 years and not 4, or 5, or even 10, well I admit it's a bit arbitrary. But ultimately you need to draw a line somewhere otherwise you could end up refusing the vaccine forever on the basis of there might be a side effect that only becomes apparent in yet another year. For me 3 years seems like a fair compromise between taking time check for any long term side effects, and not putting it off forever.

Any negative side effects of the vaccine are likely to occur close after vaccination. As the vaccines have been in use for over a year now I think we have a very good idea on what the potential negative effects may be (e.g. myocarditis).

Maybe not to you, but if she says she was concerned about those things then I think she was absolutely right to raise those concerns. If Comical Chris wants to encourage vaccine uptake, he shouldn't ridicule and attack people for raising concerns, no matter how daft he personally thinks those concerns are. Not everyone has the same in depth understanding of medicine as him, so what seems like a silly concern to him might be a very real and valid worry for someone else. Treat people with respect.

I don't think that lies about a medical product that can save lives and prevent hospitalisations during a pandemic automatically deserves respect. The issue isn't someone choosing not to take the vaccine - it is someone spreading lies and misinformation that may cause those who are open to taking the vaccine to not take it.
Original post by Smack
Any negative side effects of the vaccine are likely to occur close after vaccination. As the vaccines have been in use for over a year now I think we have a very good idea on what the potential negative effects may be (e.g. myocarditis).

I don't think that lies about a medical product that can save lives and prevent hospitalisations during a pandemic automatically deserves respect. The issue isn't someone choosing not to take the vaccine - it is someone spreading lies and misinformation that may cause those who are open to taking the vaccine to not take it.

Ignoring the irony of Comical Chris accusing someone else of spreading misinformation, what "lies" did Minaj spread exactly?

If someone is genuinely worried that the vaccines might cause a side effect then they aren't "lying" about that worry, even if it later turns out to be unfounded. I'm scared of flying, every time I do it I worry there will be a freak accident and the engines fail and we all plummet to the ground. Statistically that worry is unfounded. I'm more likely to die driving to the airport and there is so much safety mechanisms and precautions that it's probably silly to worry about. But it is a genuine worry for me. I wouldn't appreciate someone coming up to me after the flight accusing me of "lying" about my worries because we landed safety. Yes, what I was worried about didn't come to pass, but the worry itself was real.

Some people are trying to convince others not to have the vaccine and I appreciate that you don't like that. I don't particularly like it either, I think vaccination should be a personal choice free of influence from others. But it's worth pointing out here that what you complain about is also happening in the other direction. Whitty is trying to convince people TO get jabbed. Why are you ok with that if you're not ok with the other side doing it?
Reply 47
Original post by Fruli
If you missed the point in response to your statement, then I’m sorry for you.

There was no point in your comment, it was just a random, well, ramble...
Um thats nice? :lol:
Suffice it to say, the original comment stands regarding your ridiculously offensive remark to people who are ill. Not to mention the ignorance regarding science. 'trust my own bodies natural immunity' indeed, what a load of tripe. Let us see if you catch the plague whether your god given natural immunity will help in the slightest :rolleyes:.Or, more to the point, you do know that half the deaths from covid are from the immune response right..?
Ignoring the irony of Comical Chris accusing someone else of spreading misinformation, what "lies" did Minaj spread exactly?

The swollen testicles claim, which was not corroborated by Trinidad and Tobago's health department.

If someone is genuinely worried that the vaccines might cause a side effect then they aren't "lying" about that worry, even if it later turns out to be unfounded. I'm scared of flying, every time I do it I worry there will be a freak accident and the engines fail and we all plummet to the ground. Statistically that worry is unfounded. I'm more likely to die driving to the airport and there is so much safety mechanisms and precautions that it's probably silly to worry about. But it is a genuine worry for me. I wouldn't appreciate someone coming up to me after the flight accusing me of "lying" about my worries because we landed safety. Yes, what I was worried about didn't come to pass, but the worry itself was real.

You're not lying by being scared of flying. Lots of people are. It's probably quite natural to have concerns about how big tubes of metal manage to stay in the sky.

But if you were to report accidents that did not happen, that would be lying.

Some people are trying to convince others not to have the vaccine and I appreciate that you don't like that. I don't particularly like it either, I think vaccination should be a personal choice free of influence from others. But it's worth pointing out here that what you complain about is also happening in the other direction. Whitty is trying to convince people TO get jabbed. Why are you ok with that if you're not ok with the other side doing it?

I don't think this is about two different sides competing with each other. For starters, the vast majority of eligible people have taken a vaccine, so the actual numbers of antivaxxers is very low. Those who have been vaccinated include people who pro lockdown, pro vaccine passport etc. to those who are anti everything other than vaccines. If I see someone post something I consider to be false, and I have the time and interest, I may post a reply that I consider corrects the claims made - as you do on a public forum. In this instance I saw an infographic with very misleading information so decided to post corrections.
Original post by Smack

I don't think this is about two different sides competing with each other. For starters, the vast majority of eligible people have taken a vaccine, so the actual numbers of antivaxxers is very low. Those who have been vaccinated include people who pro lockdown, pro vaccine passport etc. to those who are anti everything other than vaccines. If I see someone post something I consider to be false, and I have the time and interest, I may post a reply that I consider corrects the claims made - as you do on a public forum. In this instance I saw an infographic with very misleading information so decided to post corrections.

I'm not anti vax. I have had various different vaccines in the past. But these days my trust in the medical community is at an all time low. I just don't feel comfortable in trusting this vaccine yet. I may feel comfortable getting it at a later stage, but the more people try to coerce me the less likely that is. If they keep trying to bully me into getting jabbed I will eventually refuse it purely out of spite.
Reply 50
Original post by Fruli
I’ve had the virus with mild symptoms and been fine, you fool 😂.

Good for you i guess?:s-smilie: why am i supposed to care?

Whatever happens, I am ready to catch it again and know that my God given immune system is ready to deal with any threat. If not, I am also ready to meet my maker.

Yeah, you acting like a tough man on tsar isnt fooling anybody. Each and everybody here knows well enough you'd soil yourself if faced with the threat of death. Saying otherwise is quite clearly *******s.
As for your 'god given immune system' lol.

You sound like an angry chap riddled with fear of a virus that has a less than 2% mortality rate. I pity you. Did you know that anxiety has a debilitating effect on the immune system?

And you sound like someone whose argument is so utterly pathetic you have no recourse but to continue using hilariously weird ad hominems?

Suffice it to say, this comment looks like it was written by a child who knows nothing of viruses, death or anything else for that matter. Your bizarrely blasé attitude to death being frankly quite disturbing and your callous disregard for the thousands who have died making you a thoroughly repugnant sort.
Reply 51
Original post by Napp
Good for you i guess?:s-smilie: why am i supposed to care?

Yeah, you acting like a tough man on tsar isnt fooling anybody. Each and everybody here knows well enough you'd soil yourself if faced with the threat of death. Saying otherwise is quite clearly *******s.
As for your 'god given immune system' lol.

And you sound like someone whose argument is so utterly pathetic you have no recourse but to continue using hilariously weird ad hominems?

Suffice it to say, this comment looks like it was written by a child who knows nothing of viruses, death or anything else for that matter. Your bizarrely blasé attitude to death being frankly quite disturbing and your callous disregard for the thousands who have died making you a thoroughly repugnant sort.

Whatever, angry chap. Run along now, take your boosters and meds 🤒.

You can take your advice from these fat unhealthy looking women: https://twitter.com/sandraweeden/status/1452575082149294087?s=21

I’ll follow sense and look after my immune system.

I notice you posted this in the very early hours of the morning. Odd time to be posting. Struggling to sleep? Did you know that having a good sleep routine contributes to a well functioning immune system? Seems like common sense.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Each and everybody here knows well enough you'd soil yourself if faced with the threat of death.

So would everyone, but I think the point he's making is that you have to accept some risk in life and not spend it living in fear. People seem to manage to live with the treat of catching colds and flus even though both of those viruses could kill them. They just accept the risk and live their life, but for some reason can't seem to do that with covid.
Original post by Fruli
I’ll follow sense and look after my immune system.

They don't talk about natural immunity because there's no money to be made from that. It's a shame that Patrick Vallance doesn't have £600k of shares in your immune system :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending