The Student Room Group

RS or HIstory A level

(edited 6 months ago)
It depends on what you want to do. History is useful for things like law, but will probably be harder to catch up on if you haven't done GCSE than RS. RS is good if you want an english lit degree.
Original post by eleanor132
havent done either for gcse, which would be better?

Hi, I'm in year 12 and have just started my A levels. I take History and RE (as well as Spanish) so can give you a bit of insight into what they're both like.

At A level, RE is a really interesting subject. You not only look at Religion but also study philosophy (e.g the existence of God, is there such thing as a soul, the afterlife etc.) and ethics (what is right and wrong, euthanasia, abortion, justice etc.) as well. It involves discussion and debate, so if that's something you enjoy you will love RE. Like History, it's quite essay-based, but since you're deciding between RE and history I'm assuming that you don't mind essays :smile:

For History, my biggest piece of advice would be to look at the topics you will be studying, because if you don't enjoy the topic, you will hate the subject. You don't need to have studied it at GCSE (same with RE) and I find it really interesting. It has more reading and note-taking than RE, as RE is a little more discussion/ debate based, but as long as you are willing to work hard I wouldn't let it put you off.

When deciding what to take, the best option is to pick the one which you think you will enjoy/ be more interested in, as you will be studying it in-depth, for the next two years, and no one wants to be stuck with an A-Level they don't enjoy!

I hope this helped, if you have any other questions about the subjects let me know and I'll try my best to answer, and tell what you end up choosing!! :smile:
Original post by eleanor132
thank you! for rs, what percentage of it is philosophy? the problem is i want to do philosophy but my school doesnt offer it but ive heard rs can have quite a bit of philosophy in it

I do RS with OCR, which is split into 3 sections. 1/3 philosophy, 1/3 ethics, and 1/3 development in Christian thought.

Quick Reply

Latest