The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A102 (BM6) 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yippy-yikes
Seems like it, but if we just take those interviewed into account (for 2020 entry) then it's about 60% to get an offer! Much nicer than the 25% in the previous years, but the amount rejected was not far off (around 70 in 2020 but around 90 in previous years)

Best of luck to you! :h:

Sorry, what do you mean by 60%? Really?? Wow that’s a lot better! Isn’t it Lower if last years is taken into account? I don’t get it 😭
But best of luck to you too if you have an interview & thank you :smile:
Original post by watermellone
Sorry, what do you mean by 60%? Really?? Wow that’s a lot better! Isn’t it Lower if last years is taken into account? I don’t get it 😭
But best of luck to you too if you have an interview & thank you :smile:

For 2020 entry, out of 178 people interviewed 109 recieved an offer (that's 60%)! For 2019, 18 and 17, 120 people were interviewed and an average of 30 recieved offers (so about 25%).

Looking at that, it seems like they started to interview a lot more people starting from 2020 entry (perhaps the spaces they had on the course increased or it's something covid related?) No idea why, but considering how there were roughly 140-200 spots on the booking and most have been filled, the amount of applicants interviewed seems similar to 2020 entry. This part's an educated guess though, but I hope it's helpful

Also thank you! I do have an interview too so I hope we can all do well here! :emog:
(edited 2 years ago)
do

For 2020 entry, out of 178 people interviewed 109 recieved an offer (that's 60%)! For 2019, 18 and 17, 120 people were interviewed and an average of 30 recieved offers (so about 25%).

Looking at that, it seems like they started to interview a lot more people starting from 2020 entry (perhaps the spaces they had on the course increased or it's something covid related?) No idea why, but considering how there were roughly 140-200 spots on the booking and most have been filled, the amount of applicants interviewed seems similar to 2020 entry. This part's an educated guess though, but I hope it's helpful

Also thank you! I do have an interview too so I hope we can all do well here! :emog:

does anyone know how the stats were like for the 2021 entry :smile:

Yes but all med schools have been warned not to give out any extra spaces so they are really cracking down i think this year cannot be compared to previous years

That’s great!! Fingers crossed for us all :smile: but 109? Wow! I hope it is similar this year and that there are more spaces on the BM6 course, I did hear they gave out more offers than previous years but I thought it was only about 10 more as they couldn’t exceed the limit too much
Original post by hannah12389
does anyone know how the stats were like for the 2021 entry :smile:

Can't find anything for 2021 entry unfortunately, people are allowed to request for the information though!
Original post by Pinkpen11
Yes but all med schools have been warned not to give out any extra spaces so they are really cracking down i think this year cannot be compared to previous years

Actually that's a really good point! I guess we can only try our very best and hope it's a good outcome :h:
That’s great!! Fingers crossed for us all :smile: but 109? Wow! I hope it is similar this year and that there are more spaces on the BM6 course, I did hear they gave out more offers than previous years but I thought it was only about 10 more as they couldn’t exceed the limit too much

Yeah it seems like a lot more were given out compared to past years. Whether they'll be similar stats this year we'll have no idea, but we can only do our very best in the end :h:
Guys do u think if I email asking about the 2021 stats they’d give it to me? Coz lowkey I feel like they’d look at my email and be like ugh we don’t have time for that it’s not even urgent
Original post by L.a.i.l.a.
Guys do u think if I email asking about the 2021 stats they’d give it to me? Coz lowkey I feel like they’d look at my email and be like ugh we don’t have time for that it’s not even urgent

Have you tried calling them? Might be worth a shot
Original post by L.a.i.l.a.

You request it under the Freedom of Information Act to a particular email (so not the usual admissions email, there is a specific one) which deals which with this paticular stuff :h:
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh okay I’ll call tomorrow and let u guys know. Also u know if I wanna do the request thing, what email do I contact
Nvm I think it’s this one [email protected] 😭
How is everyone preparing for their interview?
Original post by ethereala
How is everyone preparing for their interview?

I’m just going over my 3 question answers and my personal statement. Also going over basic ethics and some wider current reading/ like current medical advancements and cons and pros to the NHS etc
Original post by shahid.ahmadi
I’m just going over my 3 question answers and my personal statement. Also going over basic ethics and some wider current reading/ like current medical advancements and cons and pros to the NHS etc

what is 3 question answers?
hi ,is there a group task or is it just the panel interview ?
Original post by Rahand2004
what is 3 question answers?

The BM6 questions we had to fill, the form had 3 questions each with a max of 200 words which we sent with our answers. One of the questions were ‘What motivates you to study medicine?’
Reply 196
Original post by hannah12389
hi ,is there a group task or is it just the panel interview ?

It’s just a panel interview - on the website it said they weren’t going to do group tasks this year.
Original post by sadaf.ahmadi
It’s just a panel interview - on the website it said they weren’t going to do group tasks this year.

panel interview for half an hour? that kinda scares me
i've only done MMIs so far so idk how this will be :frown:
Reply 198
panel interview for half an hour? that kinda scares me
i've only done MMIs so far so idk how this will be :frown:

This is going to be my first medicine interview and I’m not feeling good about it either:frown:
Last years group didn’t have a group interview either and lots of the people actually found the interview great. They said the interviewers were really nice and praised them a lot. And I’m predicting they are going to ask a lot of personal questions - based on our personal statement and the 3 questions. Hopefully it goes really well for everyone because we deserve it after all of this !!
Reply 199
Original post by sadaf.ahmadi
on the website it said they weren’t going to do group tasks this year.

Just wondering, where did you read that they said they weren't doing a group task this year.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/selection_day_dates.page

'The selection day process usually includes an interview and group task.' I took this from their website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending