The Student Room Group

A-level Critical Thinking

can anyone please explain to me why the answer is not A? (It says the answers it E instead?)

In the first four years of the 21st century the growth in the use of carbon fuels has outstripped growth in the use of renewables. To turn the tide, governments will have to commit larger subsidies to the development of renewable energy and raise taxes on carbon fuels. Few governments seem willing to do either.

Which of these is a conclusion that could be drawn from the above claims?

A An increase in taxes would have the effect of reducing carbon fuel consumption.

B If governments do not act soon to find an alternative source of energy supplies, carbon fuels will begin to run out.

C Taxing carbon fuel is necessary to fund research into renewable energy.

D Subsidies for research and higher taxes to fund them would not be acceptable to the voters.

E Carbon fuel consumption is likely to go on exceeding the use of renewables in the immediate future.
I don't do critical thinking but I'll try to help

I think it may be E because it says that governments are not willing to enact the changes suggested so therefore there will be no widespread decrease in carbon fuel consumption, nor an increase in the use of renewables so the imbalance will continue for the foreseeable future until the government does something?
Reply 2
There are a couple of points that you need to get hold of, one of which has been astutely pointed out by Immortal.

Answer A assumes that govt taxes alone will be able to fix the carbon fuel use issue, and this is unsubstantiated because the extract actually says taxation and investment in renewables will be required. Answer A does not include this crucial conjunction.

The conclusion that 'carbon fuel consumption is likely to go on exceeding the use of renewables in the immediate future' is substantiated by the 'evidence' that 'In the first four years of the 21st century the growth in the use of carbon fuels has outstripped growth in the use of renewables', which is then further bolstered by the recognition that governments are reluctant to enact policies which can challenge this (as pointed out above by Immortal).

Thus, answer E is the only one fully justified by the extract.
The only correct conclusion here is to drop A-level critical thinking as it is not accepted for most courses at university.
Reply 4
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
can anyone please explain to me why the answer is not A? (It says the answers it E instead?)

In the first four years of the 21st century the growth in the use of carbon fuels has outstripped growth in the use of renewables. To turn the tide, governments will have to commit larger subsidies to the development of renewable energy and raise taxes on carbon fuels. Few governments seem willing to do either.

Which of these is a conclusion that could be drawn from the above claims?

A An increase in taxes would have the effect of reducing carbon fuel consumption.

B If governments do not act soon to find an alternative source of energy supplies, carbon fuels will begin to run out.

C Taxing carbon fuel is necessary to fund research into renewable energy.

D Subsidies for research and higher taxes to fund them would not be acceptable to the voters.

E Carbon fuel consumption is likely to go on exceeding the use of renewables in the immediate future.

If the government subsidises renewables, that won't mean an instant reduction in the use of fossil fuels. The change from fossil fuels to renewables is a gradual process because most of the infrastructure is built around carbon fuels and needs to be replaced. Carbon fuel consumption won't vanish with the signing of a bill.
The key word here is "immediate" future. Yes, in a few decades, companies would have made the transition to renewables so that they form a majority of energy but that's not immediately after increasing subsidies.
I hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by Anholm
If the government subsidises renewables, that won't mean an instant reduction in the use of fossil fuels. The change from fossil fuels to renewables is a gradual process because most of the infrastructure is built around carbon fuels and needs to be replaced. Carbon fuel consumption won't vanish with the signing of a bill.
The key word here is "immediate" future. Yes, in a few decades, companies would have made the transition to renewables so that they form a majority of energy but that's not immediately after increasing subsidies.
I hope this helps

You have reached the right answer in the wrong way: the immediate future thing isn't strictly relevant to the question OP asked: answer A does not state that there will be an immediate effect, the intended scope might well be decades. the answer is that the extract specifies that the governments need to do two things and answer A only references one of those things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hungrysalamander
The only correct conclusion here is to drop A-level critical thinking as it is not accepted for most courses at university.

Quite. In a similar manner, my sixth from made us do General Studies. Utter waste of time.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
You have reached the right answer in the wrong way: the immediate future thing isn't strictly relevant to the question OP asked: answer A does not state that there will be an immediate effect, the intended scope might well be decades. the answer is that the extract specifies that the governments need to do two things and answer A only references one of those things.

Thanks for the comment! Its interesting to see how other people approach the question. Do (or did) you take critical thinking as an A level? I didn't but do have to apply this chain of reasoning to my other science subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by Anholm
Thanks for the comment! Its interesting to see how other people approach the question. Do (or did) you take critical thinking as an A level? I didn't but do have to apply this chain of reasoning to my other science subjects.

I have taught it at A Level and as a first year undergraduate module. This sort of question is really just sentential logic, to be honest. I dunno why the practice tests and past papers etc don't have comments explaining the right answers. Job half done, to my mind!
Anyone please help me with this question too

Research in America suggests that people are more likely to recognise the stars of soap operas
than world leaders. A sample of 400 people were given photographs of three world leaders and
three 'soap stars'. Only 30% were able to identify the world leaders, such as the Russian
president Vladimir Putin, yet 80% were able to identify 'soap stars' such as Jennifer Aniston, one
of the main actors in the American series 'Friends'.

Which of the following is a conclusion that can be drawn from the above passage?

A Some people in the sample recognised both the soap opera stars and the world leaders.
B Some people in the sample recognised neither the soap opera stars nor the world leaders.
C At least 80% of those in the sample must regularly watch soap operas.
D A person who recognises soap opera stars is more likely to recognise world leaders.
E A person who recognises world leaders is less likely to recognise soap opera stars.
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
I have taught it at A Level and as a first year undergraduate module. This sort of question is really just sentential logic, to be honest. I dunno why the practice tests and past papers etc don't have comments explaining the right answers. Job half done, to my mind!

Yes, I've found that there is no point doing practice questions if you dont then have the answers to see what was right and what needs improvement. I learn as much from doing past papers as I do during lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending